Super weather walls.

Started by Khorm, March 24, 2003, 03:51:42 AM

I've noticed lately that there are certain places around the world where you can enter one room, be in a blinding sands, go back and be in a clear summer-esque day. Would it be possible to fade effects out? For example: Areas having terrible winds could spit out two rooms of stinging sands on all sides, which fade into sparse sands for two more rooms afterwards.

Just an idea, that came to me after going south (terrible winds), east (terrible winds), north (stinging winds), west (clear day).

The new area was higher, maybe even it was seperated from the other room by some natural barrier like a large dune. And... How large are those rooms? :)
Of course your offer would be fine, but you can still play it out.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

This is just a guess, but from everything I have ever seen in the game, weather is zone specific, rather than room specific, to a certain extent, excluding code which affects a particular room in all conditions.  Thus, it is possible to cross from winds that make it so you can't see a darn thing into a room that doesn't have any sand blowing it all.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Ah, that reminds me of the time I was "trapped" in the salt flats.  It's hot and salty, but for some reason it's usually not as sandy as the surrounding deserts.  One time I was in the salt flats and I can see one room away, but as soon as I step out of the salt flats I can't even see the room I'm in!  I tried a couple different directions, with 0 visibility everywhere.  Unless you are carrying 18 barrels of water, you don't want to hang around the salt flats all day.  Luckily I was a ranger at the time, so I had the option to either quit in the flats or find a landmark and try to make it back to the city on dead rekoning.  Whee!

No real point to this story, I was just feeling nostalgic.

I've found the worst is city walls.  Often if you are inside a city or outside the city gate, it looks like you've got visibility untill you take one step away from the gate and find yourself in a blinding storm.  I assume it is a combination of very high city walls and possibly anti-sand spells, the peons can't work if they can't see.  This doesn't happen too often, but now on any day with high winds I usually walk out the gate first to check the weather before I pay to unstable my kank.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I kinda find this more common in the north, I know a few areas where there seems to be large zone barriers of terrible vs. none vs. sparse vs. I can't see my hand in front of my face. I think Twilight is right those, that it's zone specific, but even if the fade out was implemented, I'd make it in one room steps, not two room, considering the size of most outdoor 'rooms'

I think for the walls it makes sense, depending on how you think about it. In my meeger little mind, I imagine that sand storms are really low to the ground. Its not like rain where 40 feet in the air there is just as much water, or in this case sand. Sandstorms are just the wind picking up sand and dust from the ground and pushing it about. If the walls of the big city states are respectably high, which I imagine they are, I don't see it too much of a stretch to say that they go most of the way above lighter storms. So when you walk into a city from the sandstorm, you will notice the wind is typically the same strength, but the sand is being kept at bay. Just how I imagine things.

Maybe a little off topic, since I don't think anyone was too perturbed by the wall thing, but there you have it.
 great evil walks Zalanthas...
Master Z has arrived from the west!