Temote?

Started by Bebop, November 14, 2006, 01:23:03 PM

I was think about a hidden that would only be visible to the IMMs or psions, conveying inner conflict, etc that can not exactly be conveyed through the think or feel commands.

temote struggles for inner peace as his body is strained by the cuddler, trying to focus his mind on some distant horizon in vain as pain pierces his limbs.

The clean shaven northerner struggles for inner peace as his body is strained by the cuddler, trying to focus his mind on some distant horizon in vain as pain pierces his limbs.

temote feels her mind drifting away into a deep manic solitude as memories of that terrible event resurface, trigged by %man words.

The short woman feels her mind drifting away into a deep manic solitude as memories of that terrible event resurface, triggered by the tall man's words.

temote losing his body to the sensation of pleasure @'s mind fills with elation.

Losing his body to the sensation the tall man's mind fills with elation.

I think this allows for a smoother conveance of emotion and feeling that are a little choppy and not directly offered by the current commands we have.

Try using the 'feel' command, or for longer feels 'change mood' will work. Essentially, what you're describing is already in the game.

With the feel command though, you can't describe -why- you're feeling that way besides thinking at the same time.

I see how feel and think can be used in almost all situations, but I'd personally just like the option to blabber away at what my character's feeling without having to think to explain it all.

Quotetemote struggles for inner peace as his body is strained by the cuddler, trying to focus his mind on some distant horizon in vain as pain pierces his limbs.

think (a struggle for inner peace, with pain piercing your limbs) No...think of Alaska...cool- ow...

Eh, might not be the greatest example, which only supports a use for temote or whatever similar command, but it's just difficult to convey between feel and thinking what a 'temote' could do.
Song brings of itself a cheerfulness that wakes the heart of joy." 
Euripides

People may start using this intead of think or feel or mood though, and then it would -have- to be echo'd to psions. When that happens it gives a little to much info to the Psion then they should get on the first shot.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

I kinda like it.
your mother is an elf.

I have a hard enough time frequently using think and feel during the average RP session (without making the other PC wait 3 mins between replies).  Obviously when things are slower or you're soloing, think+feel shine.

K.I.S.S

I'd use feel a lot more if it were more versatile a command. I don't like having to force everything into a template beginning with "you feel."
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Ok...  for starters, I'm with Delirium.  There's already a ton of stuff I ignore during RP, and I feel like I'd have to constantly type at 80 wpm to keep up with my character.

Second, this is basically adding a narrorator.  One of the things I've always loved about Arm is that you don't always know motivations.  Thinking's fine...  feeling, guess I lost the battle on that one though I STILL feel it facilitates 2D RP by removing the dynamism from emotion...  but now inner conflict?

I've always felt that some things need to be internalized.  For example, do you want to read a book that tells you "Jimmy was rife with turmoil over his choice to save the kittens"?  Isn't there a phrase that says it's better to show than explain?  That's why movies are so great!

I just feel like this would detract from the realism of the game by pasting something on your character they would probably never consider (think Wow, I am rife with turmoil.).  Less is more in this case, in my opinion.

Not to mention months ago there was a suggestion called "Temote" that I would far rather see, I made a poll, then got told Seeker made a thread months ahead of me, exactly the same. Targetted emotes I'd far rather see than inner narration.

I guess if you want to make sure a bender/imm knows your motivation, you can always think in detailed narration? Start talking to yourself? A few months ago I countered a PC who would do his inner narration... outwardly, with no seeming concious awareness. That had to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen. And everybody else who saw it, I bet, knows what/who I'm talking about.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Quote from: "Bebop"temote struggles for inner peace as his body is strained by the cuddler, trying to focus his mind on some distant horizon in vain as pain pierces his limbs.

The clean shaven northerner struggles for inner peace as his body is strained by the cuddler, trying to focus his mind on some distant horizon in vain as pain pierces his limbs.

Quotefeel the pain piercing your limbs as you struggle for inner peace as your body is strained by the cuddler, trying to focus your mind on some distant horizon in vain.

You feel the pain piercing your limbs as you struggle for inner peace as your body is strained by the cuddler, trying to focus your mind on some distant horizon in vain.

Quote from: "Bebop"temote feels her mind drifting away into a deep manic solitude as memories of that terrible event resurface, trigged by %man words.

The short woman feels her mind drifting away into a deep manic solitude as memories of that terrible event resurface, triggered by the tall man's words.

Quotefeel your mind drifting away into a deep manic solitude as memories of that terrible event resurface, triggered by the man's words.

You feel your mind drifting away into a deep manic solitude as memories of that terrible event resurface, triggered by the man's words.

Quote from: "Bebop"temote losing his body to the sensation of pleasure @'s mind fills with elation.

Losing his body to the sensation the tall man's mind fills with elation.

Quotefeel your mind filling with elation as you lose your body to the sensation of pleasure.

You feel your mind filling with elation as you lose your body to the sensation of pleasure.

You can use the feel command. Just gotta reword it a bit.

Obviously, I'm aware of the feel command, this is a command that would allow those of us that enjoying typing thinks and feels to have a more versatile form of expressing that without being confined to the you feel template.  Plus I don't like having to type "your" when referring to myself in game.

feel your limbs strained.

>You feel your limbs strained.

I also don't like not being able to reference other people in the surrounding area or other objects that might trigger thoughts or memories.

feel a memory of pain in your gut as you notice the chest.

You feel a memory of pain in your gut as you notice the chest.

Could be changed to flow into:

feel a tinge of pain flows into @'s thoughts as she notices ~chest.

A tinge of pain flows into the sable woman's thoughts as she notices a simple wooden chest.

It just flows better and expresses the interaction between your thoughts and feelings and your surroundings.  If you are not good at thinking or emoting you don't HAVE to use this command but I think it would actually be better for those that feel choppy with there thinking because this allows more of a flow similiar to the emote system that we are all familiar with.