Cloaks, veils, masks and all that jazz

Started by Beux, November 09, 2006, 05:16:54 AM

In any case I think using the language scrambling code is not only not a good way to go about doing this but also not all that realistic. With the language it's understandable, you don't know a language very well you'll mistake sounds and words for things that they arn't. This will probably be no surprise, since it was an idea I proposed, but I'm going to say that the cobbled together mdesc from seperate pdescs whil being hooded is the best, most feasible answer to this.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

I have mixed feelings about the issue now.  

I'd much rather see 'tdesc' used in the way described in other threads as a 1-line addition to the mdesc, to describe a current condition (broken limbs, gash wounds, pregnancy, etc).

Hoods ought to cover anything on the head and in the hair.  Maybe even the ears.  

Face slots should not ever hide anything; often, whatever you are wearing on your face isn't large enough to cover your entire head (veils, nose rings, and masks included).

It's apparent that some of the player base can not be trusted to simply play around this problem by not auto-identifying people based on an mdesc or sdesc (harvested through 'contact'), even when you are about as cloaked as a Romulan space ship.  I honestly doubt we can be rest-assured that that part of the player base would not abuse 'tdesc' as its described in the OP, either by changing keywords or features or intentionally not including very major things (three legs, for example).

Scrambling the mdesc would just be a headache.  Please don't.  I enjoy reading these when folks are not zipping around me in the street, especially folks that I plan on interacting with for an amount of time.  It helps me visualize.

I like, and dislike, depending on the situation IC. I can see why the immortals haven't put this in though, but that's IC information.

Now, let's get on discussing the Jazz portion of this thread.
your mother is an elf.