Do stirrups exist in Zalanthas?

Started by Clearsighted, October 02, 2006, 09:18:06 PM

Well, have you thought of the fact that a HG standing is still taller than a human on a kank?  Where's the benefit to being mounted there?  Hell, where's the HG's bonus just for using a downswing?

It would take changing a lot of little things to make this truly realistic...and some of the benefits you believe a mounted combatant should receive, I don't think should be all as big as you believe they should be...well, from what it sounds like, at least.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Well, have you thought of the fact that a HG standing is still taller than a human on a kank?  Where's the benefit to being mounted there?  Hell, where's the HG's bonus just for using a downswing?

It would take changing a lot of little things to make this truly realistic...and some of the benefits you believe a mounted combatant should receive, I don't think should be all as big as you believe they should be...well, from what it sounds like, at least.

It is certainly true that the scale is something the immortals would have to personally envision and implement themselves. All I know is that swinging from above inflicts a surprisingly greater damage than swinging from below...and really, I'm sort've a code twink. I like learning all the nooks and crannies and seeing how realistic it is, and how it takes stuff into account, cause it makes me feel more immersed.

And it is possible that it might be size or height dependent. Like not working on half giants or mekillots (same as subdue won't).

But I think if they're willing to code in the fact that swinging a weapon with two hands does greater damage, or holding a shield allows you to defend better, than there really isn't much of a leap of logic.

If it is too complex or difficult to add like a 25% damage bonus, then it is obviously besides the point. But I don't think we should be arguing based on how hard it is to code, since none of us really know unless we're coders.

I think you should be able to train your mounts to guard you while you sleep. :) Not guard as in not let anyone through, or attack anything that comes near.

Just to...wake you up with their loud raucous if something is approaching. That would be cool.  :oops:

I'd like to point out two things here...

1. A lance charge and 'mounted fighting' are two different things. For the individual. Both are made easier by stirrups (usually), but they entail different activities.

2. Even with stirrups, mounted combat is difficult. Those knights and cavalrymen who were so effective spent their entire lives training how to do it. The techniques are different with and without stirrups, but they're still difficult either way. In fact, one could make a plausible arguement that fighting with stirrups is actually more difficult because:

it allows (read: require - military advances always push the limit) the rider to deal with much more force without being unseated;

during 'close in work', when you aren't charging through rabble but are, rather, cutting them down with your sword (with your horse/kank/sunback/inix kicking/biting/stomping/tailsweeping) it keeps you from kicking those vile infantrymen in the face. A very effective tactic, which stirrups make it hard to do.

I'd also like to point out that you can, effectively, get the same function of stirrups by tying your legs below the knee to the mount. High-backed saddles are much more necessary because the entire concept was 'leaning into' it, getting your vertebrae into an alignment that will avoid you getting whiplash, rather, letting you deliver the force. The saddles act as braces. The stirrups merely helped by creating a three-pointed line with your feet as well, and by acting as platforms whch you could (if you were good) use to push forward at the last moment against.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot