Command Emotes for the wear command

Started by Morgenes, September 14, 2006, 03:53:19 PM

Should the output of 'wear' to the wearer show full short descriptions of objects?

Absosmurfly
39 (65%)
Yes - but I refuse to choose 'Absosmurfly'
19 (31.7%)
No
1 (1.7%)
Not just no, but HELL NO!
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Voting closed: September 14, 2006, 03:53:19 PM

I'm working on adding command emotes to the wear command (and a few other related commands), and in doing so I'm reworking how those are shown to the user.

Today you see things like:

You wear the belt as a belt.

Do you guys like this?  Would you rather see the full short description of the object?  Has this ever led to confusion where you ended up wearing the wrong thing, but you only realized it when your friends started snickering at you?

Here's how it would look with the new code:

You wear your leather belt as a belt.

Note that this will also change the output that everyone else sees, along the lines of:

Morgenes straps on his leather belt as a belt.

Feedback and discussion welcome.  Any other ideas while I'm reworking the wear code?  Please keep it minimal, I'm not going to do layered clothing or tdescs or anything else while I'm in there.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Only the smurfiest of responses could possibly suffice.
Welcome all to curtain call
At the opera
Raging voices in my mind
Rise above the orchestra
Like a crescendo of gratitude

I can't say this has ever been a problem for me, but it sounds like a good change anyway.

As for suggestions, how about the ability to specifiy which wrist, ankle, shoulder or finger you want to wear something on?

Other than that... is changing clothing coverage beyond the scope of your tinkering?  It seems that coverage is currently tied to the wear location: about always covers body and belt, gloves cover fingers.  There's inconsistancies, though, like when you wear a billowing robe with long sleeves you can still see the armbands you're wearing or even that cute tandu tattoo on your shoulder.  Also, if you then take off your pack it echos showing the whip scars on your back, magickally piercing two layers of clothing.  Might be good if coverage was attached to individual items rather than wear locations.

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"As for suggestions, how about the ability to specifiy which wrist, ankle, shoulder or finger you want to wear something on?
This is a good idea, currently only left/right ear is set up that way.  I'm afraid that'd be a bit of a pain to do, but I'll see what I can do.

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"Other than that... is changing clothing coverage beyond the scope of your tinkering?  It seems that coverage is currently tied to the wear location: about always covers body and belt, gloves cover fingers.  There's inconsistancies, though, like when you wear a billowing robe with long sleeves you can still see the armbands you're wearing or even that cute tandu tattoo on your shoulder.  Also, if you then take off your pack it echos showing the whip scars on your back, magickally piercing two layers of clothing.  Might be good if coverage was attached to individual items rather than wear locations.
I keep coming back to this, and ya, it would be nice, it'd also make layering of clothes easier if you could figure out what was covering what.  But no, this won't make this update.  Good idea though :)
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

One note, if you vote for 'no' or 'HELL NO!' please post and explain why please.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

This change would also be useful if you, say, have a broadsword and a sparring sword... as it is now:

You type: Wield sword
You see: You wield the sword.
You do: You kill your sparring partner with your broadsword.

(The above is paraphrased).

I like the idea, it will help reduce occasional confusion, but mostly I posted in addition to voting because I thought it was funny to read that Morgenes wears a strap-on...

...belt.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Absosmurfly!

I am very happy to see command emotes loom for the wear and remove commands.

Strip-teasers and mudsexers, take note!

Quote from: "Delirium"Strip-teasers and mudsexers, take note!

And here I was just looking forward to the spam reduction ;)
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

To me, this is a bit streamlining for the code.  I like it considerably, and support wholeheartedly.  However, I cannot support it absosmurfly, because I simply find that to be too silly, even for my tastes.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

I'd like to see a more fluid message when placing an item you are wearing into a container instead of the

Quote[You remove the yellow prada first.]
You put the yellow prada in the polka-dotted chest.

or something along that message...forget the exact details...but I think you get my point.

Also it would be nice if when putting somthing away that your wearing, that things in your hand have first priority, i remember getting annoyed because every time i went to put away a practice sword, I'd end up putting away my swordbelt instead.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

I've never found anything to have priority over whats in hand.

Uhm. Will these emote commands be just for wear? Or will they cover remove too?

Quote from: "Beux"Uhm. Will these emote commands be just for wear? Or will they cover remove too?

Several commands are receiving the 'command emote' treatment.  Details on which will be posted when the code goes live.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: "Morgenes"
Quote from: "Beux"Uhm. Will these emote commands be just for wear? Or will they cover remove too?

Several commands are receiving the 'command emote' treatment.  Details on which will be posted when the code goes live.

You truly are a beautiful man.  *applauds*

I still prefer the "brief" option. But that's just me.
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

I've already been trying these out and I'm tickled.  The 'get' and 'put' commands having an emote option is truly awesome.  Thanks, Morg. :)

get goldstar paper [peeling it off with care]

put goldstar morgenes (sticking it on ^morgenes forehead)