Economic Code

Started by Dakkon Black, September 08, 2006, 08:18:04 PM

Work with the economy?

The economy is fine as is.
0 (0%)
I'd love to see the shop code get a tweak.
17 (65.4%)
I do too many drugs to make a proper decision.
9 (34.6%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: September 08, 2006, 08:18:04 PM

Well, most of us know about the old, holy crap the mud has crashed/rebooted, run as fast as you can for the local merchant and sell all your phat loot from the deserts syndrome.

I believe the idea is, that once they run out of money, or are stocked with inventory, people will buy stuff and put money back in their pockets.

I've noticed the issue in an unnamed city recently, and it's kinda silly. I mean, this place must be the most stocked place in the known world. It's always utterly full of crap, and out of money from buying it.

A few ideas that have struck my fancy, are:

A) Instead of starting with 500 coins (or whatever amount it is) shop keepers get 1/5th of that a day, from vnpc sales.

That way, you can log on, find the place full or broke, go work that day anyways, and when you get back home into town the next night, they'll be willing to buy a bit more, from the sales that happened that day. This makes it an IC time period that controls the economy, not an ooc one like a crash.

B) Alternatively, make it so they only buy so much of one thing a day. Sell them a new spear, great! Try to sell them a second spear, they reject it and say "there's not much demand for more of those at the moment"

Until the next day, when he will once again accept a spear.

Personally, I think option B is more realistic, but A probably much easier to code.

In either case, I think it's a needed change. It seems silly that there are pc's with a stockpile of this crap in their inventory, walking around town, just waiting for that next crash.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

The solution to this, which I haven't implemented yet, will be to have one or two items per hour the shop is opened have some small chance to get virtually "purchased" (removing them from the shop's inventory, if they aren't marked as 'infinite', incidentally -- which would mean potentially freeing up a slot to sell that item to the keeper again), giving the shopkeeper some fraction of the cost for that item 'sid to make new purchases with.

I just haven't done it yet.

-- X

That's totally radiskull, which is far better then meerly rad, due to the addition of a skull.

The i in the middle is ic info though.

Rock on X
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.