Necromantic Spam

Started by Sanvean, August 31, 2006, 07:33:02 PM

When an old post gets resurfaced because a spam bot posted to it , could you avoid replying?  It makes it significantly harder for us to spot them without reading every thread.  Thank you.

Xygax is working on a fix, and we're trying to make it so people can still post anonymously when they need/want to.

Since I don't believe there is a rule against having multiple GDB accounts maybe instead of reenabling anonymous posting people could simply be given the alternative to make a second account for all of their anonymous posting needs?

This has probably come up before but I don't recall so I thought I'd mention it.  I've always had a second GDB account for clan board membership and the like.

Or maybe if someone wants to post anon, they might be asked to verify their username and password first and then when they confirm, they can make an anon post.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Another problem is the spambot who makes an account. What is the feasability of all new gdb accounts being generated through the game?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: "Barzalene"Another problem is the spambot who makes an account. What is the feasability of all new gdb accounts being generated through the game?

SoI does it.  8)

They do, but I believe their boards are running on their dedicated server, where as our boards are hosted externally. More complicated.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Sanvean said that they were working on a way to prevent the spambots registering.  Be patient.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I apologize if I sounded impatient. I really just meant to voice a thought, on the chance that it might prove useful to someone.

Email confirmation?
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

Quote from: "Cegar"Email confirmation?

This would be good.  Doing away with anonymous posting helps remove the temptation for people who are pissed off and in the heat of the moment make a Kadius Sucks! anon post.

I'm not impatient, I barely notice the spam, but I don't particularly see the need for the GDB board admin(s) to jump through hoops to allow anon posting when people can make a backup account for those times when they want to opine without giving away hints which character belongs to their regular GDB account.

The plan is to allow people who are logged in to choose the "post anonymously" option when they want to.  You -will- need to be logged in to post, and one of those "type in the letters you see displayed here" feature will be added to the registration process.