Dew and its constituents.

Started by Socko, August 26, 2006, 12:01:24 PM

I -just- started thinking about this, and decided to bring it up here, since I don't believe anyone else has yet.

Zalanthas is not a water-rich environment; however, small pockets of moisture do exist, here and there, to support the life that dwells within the bounds of the Known World.

In many desert environments, dew-gathering is a small relief for thirsty lips and dry tongues-- would Zalanthas even have dew after a chilled desert night? If it's able to support such an environmental phenomenon, then that would be interesting in a good way.

Does anyone role-play gathering dew for your own diversion and profit?

I don't know if it's something worth coding in, but it sounds, at the least, like something you could work on with a ranger via emotes. I can imagine dew-hunters and grebbers in the scrub just before dawn, or in other areas that support some plantlife.

What do you all think?
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

I've once read a desert-based novel ( Dune I think..not sure) that the people there gather water by putting some sort of smooth stones in the open air. In the daytime, the sunlight will heat the stones up and at night, because of the drop in the temperature, moisture will be condensed into dew on the surfaces of the stones. And very early in the morning, just before the sun comes up, people will gather water from those stones.

I think it will be a niffy idea to incorporate into Zalanthia, however I'm not exactly sure how low the temperature will drop during the night in Zalanthia in order for something similar to happen.
Quote from: Majikal on August 20, 2009, 05:53:09 PM

Running after Carru, catching them, then eating them while they are still breathing is a Red Fang's version of 'fast food'.

I am not totally sure how much water is in the air on Zalanthas, but I think that it can be assumed that the average relative humidity is lower than the average relative humidity in Colorado.  The average dew point in July in Colorado is ~47 degrees F and is ~10 degrees F in January.

Now, considering that the relative humidity on Zalanthas is probably lower on average than that of Colorado and the temperature is probably higher on average I think we can assume that Zalanthas has less dew than Colorado does.  Since I live in Colorado, I can say that dew is found only rarely there and when it is found it isn't found in very appreciable amounts.

I doubt that dew gathering could be a very lucrative business on Zalanthas, and probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

Sorry, cool idea though.

No one knows zalanthas physics. I say code it. Forage dew.  :lol:

In Dune, they grew hardy little plants for the sole purpose of running over them with these scythe-like dew-collectors. So yes, there's something very similar in Dune. Can't recall the stones, but that does sound familiar to me.

I like mountain dew.
subdue thread
release thread pit