Your most dissatisfying deaths

Started by Tired and a little sad, August 25, 2006, 11:43:46 PM

...that you didn't even type.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

*forgive the resurrection*

My first ranger. I spent two weeks planning her, coming up with all sorts of background, personality quirks, even a playlist. I am logged in for two hours with her, and still marvelling over her -mad- stats, just bought me some gear and water, and head out exploring. Only to have a cilops bound up and poison me dead, not just from one bite, but, me being out of stamina and not in a real good position to run, from about 10. It was a very fast death for poison.  :P
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Going linkdead in the desert and logging back on to a dead character is by FAR my worst.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Most recent - taking one step out of civilisation, someone turning one of the downstairs computers to log in as I was walking out (which drops my connection), and after some lag, seeing large amounts of spam of being attacked by something that if I could've reacted, wouldn't have stood a gnats chance!  Didn't even see the mantishead, I lagged again, changed client to try to fix it, and came back to "Welcome, make new character plx!" *sighs*  Worst death ever :(
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

Dialup + Linkdeath + Backstab = Log in, Welcome! Please create a character.

Laaaaaaaaaame.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

A character that I had put countless hours into developing a huge background, personality, everything. This was by far my most enjoyable character as he was involved in quite a few world type changing quests. Did things with him that I really never truly thought would be possible, and was having a blast. Still to this day the one character that I wish I could get back. I loved him.

The death:

My character was in an area with a few other PC's when he was subdued, and then one-hit and thrown into unconsciousness. Normally, I'd be fine with that and just think well that's the game that I've chosen to play. This one just really pissed me off because I did not have time to react. The player who did said subdue, kill <me> stacked his commands. Meaning he was using a client where he entered everything in at once and I had no time to react to his single emote, break free of the subdue, etc.

It went like this:

emote;subdue <me>;k <me>

This just rubbed me the wrong way as it was my favorite character of all time and the player who gave me said death, was someone who was obviously a trusted player since they were playing a karma intensive race.

- matt.

I've had a lot of bad deaths in my time, but you know what makes a bad death a good death?

Everytime I've killed somebody IG, I've always sent an email to the mud saying why I killed them. The one person I knew to use it was an ungemmed magicker, and we killed her because we knew she was a magicker, we saw her casting on a previous mission. Looking at it from her point of view, it sucked. Sure we threw out some emotes, I got my Bynners into their positions and we took that skinny bitch out.

My point: Explain yourself to the mud. It gives everyone Piece of Mind, if they want it.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

July 18, 2008, 01:30:32 AM #207 Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:45:07 AM by Archbaron
Quote from: mattrious on July 17, 2008, 02:09:02 PM
emote;subdue <me>;k <me>
You subdue <me>, despite his attempts to struggle away.
You kiss <me>.

My worst death is always a result of falling. It never fails that I'll be bumbling along nicely when suddenly a gash opens in the floor in front of me.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Most of mine are due to saying hello to a cilops or a bahamet without the proper handshake.

My most dissatisfying ones, though, are the ones where I never see the person, get poisoned or magicked into oblivion, and I don't even get the opportunity to -try- to do anything. Maybe I just look too damn brutal.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

July 18, 2008, 02:31:06 AM #209 Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 09:52:50 AM by Rahnevyn
Once upon a time, on the North Road:

The masked mul says, in sirihish:
     "DROP PACK!"

You struggle against the masked mul and break free.

The masked man attacks you!
The masked mul attacks you!
The masked man attacks you!

You panic and attempt to flee...

You run like a madman and escape...

Three hours later, I'm sitting in a fierce sandstorm, dehydrating to death, thinking to myself...Damnit, I should've just dropped the fucking pack... ::)

Or there was the time (before mercy on and the stop comand) when some newb in the Byn had "kick" stacked after some other command...well, he knocked me out with his first weapon, landed an Ultimate Slash with the second attack, and then sent me to the realm of Drov with the delayed kick.  Thanks, bud.  (Here's a hint:  if you're fighting someone, you don't need to use their name to target them...it targets them automatically, and if you knock them out, you won't accidentally kick them in the face.)

I had a mul assassin that died to the stooped elf because my internet connection crapped out on me.  Mul assassins are one of those things you don't really get a chance to play that often...

I had 2 characters die back to back to the -same- gith ambush while being led by the -same- Byn sergeant.  Boad, you know who you are.

I had this dwarf with Absolutely Incredible endurance (I won't embarass you all with the hp roll on this guy) who got arrested for brawling in the Gaj (before nosave subdue, right...), and lo and behold, I get tossed into a jail cell where a PC templar had been interrogating someone, but forgot to take the NPC soldiers out.  So the first one fails the subdue on me and the rest gangbang me right there in jail.

I've been ganked by Kurac (while working for Kurac) a couple of times, for no good reason.  Apparently because someone got paranoid and had an itchy trigger finger.  Once, I talk to the Agent in 'nak and he's like "yeah, we'll hire you."  So I find the local sarge (who's about to leave for Luir's), and I'm like, "Hey, agent so-and-so says you guys are hiring me, can I go up to Luir's with you?" and he's like "okay."  Then we get halfway there and he's like, "Wait, you aren't actually hired yet?" "I never said I was." -Slice-.  The other time, I talk to the agent in 'nak, actually -get- hired, go to Luir's, then they're all like, "You spent time in the RINTH?!? OMG SPY" -slice-.  It's like:  dude, bro...Agent Numbnuts over there hired me specifically -because- I had 'rinth experience...I idle away 5 days played in Luir's, staring at Tarkon across the bar, and this is how you repay me? Thanks, bud.  I don't play in Kurac much, anymore.

There were the 2 characters it took me to figure out how those certain NPCs in the 'rinth operate....

A couple of characters lost to NPCs via the reel code...

Famous last thoughts:  "General poison couldn't -possibly- kill me with 115 hp." You slip and cut yourself!

I had this special-app Elkrosian who made a fabulous escape from the Arena, fled to Tuluk, went through the trouble of getting an sdesc and mdesc change...and then died going into a place with "OMG SKULLS AND SPIKES YOU SHOULDN'T GO IN HERE BRO" all over it...yeah...pfft.

I had a Vivaduan once...ran out of stamina in a blinding sandstorm, but ONE ROOM NORTH was apparently clear as day.  So I'm trying to regen some stamina, and I'm slowly filling my waterskin up.  Mysteriously, even though I'm completely blinded by the storm, a half-giant in the one room north sees me casting (in the middle of this blinding whirlwind, mind you), throws a fucking -throwing knife- in (through this blinding whirlwind of sand and dust) and pwns me shortly thereafter.  Way to roleplay, guy.  Did I mention it was a Kuraci half-giant?  Yeah, Kurac and I don't get along at -all- for some reason.

But the vast majority of my deaths are lame...usually a result of me getting bored and going off to do something stupid.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Only two deaths stick out from the rest of my crappy deaths because they were two of my most beloved characters.

I unstore my first Rukkian around the time the gith war decided to start, who happened to be a kid and naturally acted childishly at times because he was not fully 'mature' yet. Generally, he's doing a pretty good job, better than I was expecting. Finds out a certain temple is under seige. About five or so other magickers are in the room with him when the news is delivered. Determined to prevent some inevitable desecration, he runs ahead excepting backup to be close on his tail. He didn't want a certain 'tactic' of his to hurt any friendlies. While waiting for backup he gets ganked by four gith.

Had a beastly dwarf, insane stats, good friends, and he was trying to find a purpose in life because his old one got shattered (in his eyes anyway). Out exploring and hunting, he decides to try out a rantarri. Takes it down relatively easily but is low on stamina. Rest of the pack decides its time to come out for vengeance. -Almost- get far enough to get to a good spot for some resting but run outta stam. Sit down, and wait. First two get close, get up and run a bit more, sit down again. They waste less time coming but split up. Take down the two rantarri and just fall below the his no sleep hp regen. So now he's exhausted, battered, and really wants a good nights sleep. Ofcourse, one more rantarri has to show up, Pretty even fight despite the obvious handicap. Get down to the point where it only really needs one or two more shots to go, and it just happens to get that killing blow. Never again will I attempt to hunt rantarri unless my char really really really really wants to.
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

I was exploring around red storm and fell into a quicksand pit.

<3 my burglar died instantly, at least it was quick.

Had my legs fed through <insert something really nasty since the actual method is IC-sensitive>. The death was long and drawn out, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think I've ever been more mentally exhausted in my life.

Sapped off a barstool in the middle of a busy tavern, while codedly "watching" the guy coming to sap me, because my scan was above his hide.

He knew I was guild merchant, he knew there were no other PC's in the tavern, despite the hoard of NPC's, not to mention VNPC's, and he knew there were no NPC soldiers within "Rush In" distance.

That guy will forever rest in my mind as the ultimate shit-stain.

Sap me while I am walking down a street, or something.

You know I am guild merchant, you could have pulled this job anywhere...In the middle of the tavern while I'm sitting at the bar talking to bartender...holy crap. 
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Forest Junkie on July 18, 2008, 11:57:16 AM
Had my legs fed through <insert something really nasty since the actual method is IC-sensitive>. The death was long and drawn out, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think I've ever been more mentally exhausted in my life.

I don't blame you.  Torture does not always = good RP.  I mean come on... you can give the victim something better to do than just moan and groan in pain for a long, drawn out time.

Quote from: Desertman on July 18, 2008, 12:54:51 PM
Sapped off a barstool in the middle of a busy tavern, while codedly "watching" the guy coming to sap me, because my scan was above his hide.

You know I am guild merchant, you could have pulled this job anywhere...In the middle of the tavern while I'm sitting at the bar talking to bartender...holy crap. 

Yeah, that is kinda crappy.. unless there is like a huge brawl going on or some other distraction of some sort.  If he wanted to sap you dead then he should have at least made it a classic street mugging scene or something.  Oh well, hopefully he's learned something from reading this or from the experience itself - like many of us probably have.

July 18, 2008, 01:14:08 PM #215 Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:17:26 PM by Desertman
The best part is he then goes on to emote being "sneaky" about pulling me off the barstool in mid conversation and dragging me across the busy tavern, as though the npc I was talking to at the bar wouldnt notice me suddenly being drug off through the room...

It only makes it better that he was trying to luir me into the dormitory through the Way, I completely knew he was trying to kill me, and just sat in the tavern waiting for a PC militia member to show up, refusing to go to the dorms so he could sap me there...I guess he just got bored and decided to walk into the main tavern to get me becuase it was obvious I wasnt coming to a place where it would make sense for him to pull the job.

The very fact that he tried to luir me out of the main tavern into a secluded area is proof that the guy knew 100% that doing it in a crowded busy tavern at the bar was bad form, but since he couldnt luir me away, he decided..."Fuck it, he is guild merchant, I can do it here."

It was special...very special.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Lol that tale about Kurac made me laugh.

My longest lived char ever was a 65ish day merchant for kurac. Kurac is like the best house ever for sneaky, deceitful and tricky drug runners right? I had recently seen a very good friend in kurac, also +60 day or so have a fake death. To escape from the law, or someone. Everything from sdesc-changed Dyed black hair and  the works. Very cool.

So when I got in trouble with the law, I was like, hey, no worries, a fake death, a new city, my house will know what to do. I must have been terribly profitable for the house because I had over 20K of personal coinage in my footlocker and bank. I whip off an email to the kurac house imms about the law trouble and the next bit of rp was awesome.

We went into an office. Then kurac killed me.

The best part was the emote I got. My personal guard who'd been with me for 10 or so IC years at this point was rp'd over the course of those 2 RL years as something of a father figure to my char, who didn't really have one. But anyways, he was more loyal to the house than the char and he emoted, steps away from ~you. Lol. That was it. My 2 RL year stint with Kurac. That was the best they could come up with. The man who had fought off a templar and killed  a half-giant for me didn't even have a look of hesitation. Or a grimace or something.

It was dissapointing because all I could think was, man there was so many ways that could have gone.

Then there was the time I was in a cave. Three pc's entered. The first one subdued, the second one killed. It was actually somewhat impressive how quickly they had managed to beep me.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

July 18, 2008, 07:03:18 PM #217 Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 07:59:11 PM by Kill4Free
This happened about 5 RL years ago, on my 20 day ranger.  I went outside and got killed instantly by a magicker.
May God have mercy on my foes, because I wont.

Too much specific information, Kill4Free.  You need to edit that.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Ok. I've had my fair share of lame deaths, subpar executions... Two take the cake:

1. That one time where I died in HoK. 2. That other time I got killed off the menu.
The transition between mantis head to mantis head was almost entirely seamless. ;D

:o :o :o

The most amazing thing ? Both deaths happened unto my 'xact same character......  :'(
Yuup. I'll never live it down. Most truly, baffling, obscenely lameriffic set of deaths, evar.

:-X
"When the spirits read the writing on the skulls Shiva wears
around his neck, they know, 'This one is Brahma, this one is
Vishnu, this one is Indra, this is death,' as they play happily
with them, Shiva smiles, he laughs, our god."   --Basava

I've only had 3 characters, including my current.

But,  I have yet to die in a disappointing fashion.

My first character ventured out like a moron into the desert(being a desert elf, I thought duh, goto the desert) fell and couldn't get back out of a hole, died in there from dehydration.

The other one was too current to go into specifics, but it was to NPC's, and he fought valiantly to the death.

I think I go into an attitude now, since I'm still new to the game thinking I am GOING to die, its a matter of how long.  So when it does come along(or I think its inevitable, such as my previous one) I just emote my ass off, and enjoy it.

My first character..

He was out in the desert mining/exploring. He was out for a while and was lulled into a sense of security after not seeing one PC or NPC.
Suddenly a scrab came in and he thought "I've been training a lot, I bet I could take it!" So he jumped off his mount and drew his first weapon.
Being new and inexperienced with non-sparring combat, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get his second weapon to draw. After quickly
realizing that he was fighting a losing battle, he jumped back on his mount. I couldn't move! I was stuck in the room and dying without
any idea what was going on. It wasn't long before the mantis head came to greet me..

Afterward I realized I had he was still holding a chisel, so no secondary weapon, and also that you need one hand free to ride a mount!
I felt like an idiot, it was such a dumb way to let my character die. The worst part is, I can't even blame anyone else for it!  :P

rofl, Kuraci deaths do suck. I hate that clan with a passion, but I'll be honest: there really are not many clans that rock better than the Fist. I've had some great times playing a merc with them.

That being said, don't make enemies with Kurac: they -always- win! *shakes fist*

Ooh, ooh!  I forgot my first one.

So, I log in for the very first time, its all new.  I'm in Allanak, so into the Gaj bar I go.  Manage to sit down at the bar after a few tries, and start trying to work out what the heck I'm doing.

Some guy starts talking to me, I'm a little confused with the commands, but after some OOC's, I manage to use 'talk' instead of 'say'.  No speech emotes, couple of normal ones, I'm thinking, "Woot, I -think- I'm gunna be a-okay!".  Anyway, talk turns to work, I make some vague hints as to what I'm good at, "Excellent", says he, "Come with me, I think I know a person".  "Hawt-damn", I think, I'm going to be in demand (I think I was playing a merchant of some sort).

So after a little bit of a struggle to stand, he's looking at me saying, "You coming?", so I'm still confused, and launch into more ooc's on what I'm doing (I was used to party-ing and groups, so follow was all new).  Anyway, I obediently follow, thinking to self, "Cool, I've made a friend, perhaps this will be my new mud of choice!".

Anyway, he takes me to this room, closes the door.  Kills me.  I can't even open the door to flee, since I hadn't mastered such a command yet.

I got rez'd (I was still way less than an hour old), and after a very short while, decided that the game didn't want newbies (clique-y bastards, was the actual thought) and quit.  Took me a year to come back, and I still think that this was a load of monkey-dung.  Killing off obvious newbies is wrong on all levels, even if I'm playing an assassin/psychotic murderer/weirdo/rinther/etc, you don't whack a newbie you've been teaching how to use basic commands like 'say' and 'follow', typically, they ain't going to come back!  Sure, whack them after a week to 'show how tough this game is', but don't assassinate people before they make their first friend, make their first coin, and learn how to talk!  That just makes me plain sad :(

[/rant]
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

Quote from: Forest Junkie on July 18, 2008, 11:57:16 AM

Hah.

Just because you give consent for torture, you don't have have to keep it to the end.  You can easily say "Guys, I would like to fade to black from this point on" and I am sure you will not hear an objection.
some of my posts are serious stuff