13 (28.9%)
Krath, I don't know.
4 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: March 08, 2003, 08:28:19 PM

Cudgel_making
Cudgel_crafting

Bludgeoneering  :wink:

Clubbering and bludgeoneering sound good to me!

"What are you?"

"I'm a bludgeonaire!"

Hmm.. how about truncheon-crafting, shill-crafting or

swordcrafting
knifecrafting
spear making
axe crafting
blunt weaponcraft (this could include saps/coshes, clubs and weapon-hammers)
lt;Varak> "If my theory proves correct, weezers and dwarves, due to their similar evolutionary environment, should join in a symbiotic relationship in extended isolation."

whip_braiding

Anyway, what category do daggers fall under? Sword_making or knife_making? Just curious.

And is there a skill for the metal out there? It's probably not even worth it, considering the amazing lack of metal (I say this as if no one else knows of the lack) but I think it'd be a pretty jazzy concept to be the only friggin person in the world (Outside of Salarr, Salaar, I can never spell that) to be able to do anything with metal. Perhaps though, you should just be imm-assisted. I'll shut up.

Definately whip_braiding. Awesome idea.

As for blunt weapon making, a good name? Im at a loss and can come up with nothing, other than what was already stated.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

The push to make all reasonable items craftable could be turned into an organized effort - IMMs, would it be acceptable to get a group of people together, make a list of all items we can find that are not craftable, and start a project to turn them all into craftable items?

I don't see why not. Go for it. Chances are that you'll see stuff get put into game much faster if you go this route. I think it would be awesome to one day get to where anyone can build any item in game (provided they have the proper skill, knowledge, etc).

The way I would handle this is:

1) Get your list of things that aren't craftable, that could be.
2) Figure out what it takes to make the objects.
3) Figure out what it takes to make the ingredients which make the objects (if anything).
3a) Some objects might need the raw ingredients to be made up in the first place. You might need to create these.
4) Make sure everything is kosher, as per the formatting documentation at:
http://www.armageddon.org/community/format.html#crafting
5) Repeat the process.

To keep Sanvean's head from exploding, I would only send in batches at a time, rather than one large document of 600 craftable items.

Have fun!

-Tlaloc
Tlaloc
Legend

Yeah, I was thinking that perhaps if enough people were involved that the workload could be distributed amongst IMMs, so Sanvean alone doesn't have to go into solitary confinement to make all these objects. ;)

While working on writing up these craft files for some items, I've found that failing a craft attempt doesn't necessarily mean the ingredients get destroyed.  For example, say you were trying to stitch together a beltpack--you might mess up the stitching, but hey, it still exists.

So I'm wondering if it's possible for a new item to be put in the "What is left upon failure" category that replaces the original ingredients, like "a crude beltpack" or something.  And then write up an object file for the crude version.  Can this be done codewise?

I know there are some items that when you fail crafting them you get other items that you originally did not have. So I assume the left over item could be anything. But The left over item would have to be almost valueless for it to be done that way. And the item would have to be -SO- easy to make you could not possibly completely botch it. Or perhaps by the time you could craft the item, your skill would have to be so high that it would be unlikely you would completely ruin it.

Sanvean wrote
QuoteWe can add a blunt weapon making skill, but I'd like a better name than that. "Clubbery" is not an option either.

Nod, Well, Hammercrafting would be my suggestion.

But My real question was that the weaponscrafter sub can make spears, knives, daggers, halberds, swords, tridents, axes, and a few other types, All covered under swordmaking, spearmaking and knifemaking, But no blunt weapons, Well, at least All I ever get on the craftable blunt weapons is this style is unfamilier to you, So, my question I guess is, What skill currently gets to make blunt and why is that the only style weapon left out of the sub?

Or is it that even though there are craftable blunt weapons there is no skill for it....Sorry, still thinking it is odd I can make a obsidian sword or axe of wood and bone or a halberd but I can't cut a branch and shave it down to a club or staff, let alone a nice mace or hammer.
:(
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I voted No, not all items need to be craftable.
Some items should never be craftable for obvious reasons, such as feathers, flowers, uncooked steaks, large rocks (well, maybe large rocks, if you have an even larger rock), etc.
Then, some items are very complicated, and to make one of them craftable would require ten more crafting items to be written for the game.  Not only would this be alot of work, but no one would be able to gather all the necessary ingredients (at least, not without it becoming unprofitable).  Plus, they would take several different skills to create.

Also, I liked blunt_weaponcraft.  I think club making should be called that.

P.S. Why does everyone forget toolmaking?  Tinkers are people too.

Quote from: "Gorobei"I voted No, not all items need to be craftable.
Some items should never be craftable for obvious reasons, such as feathers, flowers, uncooked steaks, large rocks (well, maybe large rocks, if you have an even larger rock), etc.

Then you misunderstood the question - obviously, there is no possible way a feather can be crafted, nor a rock, uncooked steak, etc.  I could have phrased the question a bit better, but I assumed most people would use common sense and see that it was not referring to every single item in the game, but rather all items that, upon observation, are visibly crafted.

That's okay.  There were two reasons, anyway.

Quote from: "Gorobei"That's okay.  There were two reasons, anyway.

What are those two reasons?

I think he was referring to the second part of his post.

Quote from: "Gorobei"
Then, some items are very complicated, and to make one of them craftable would require ten more crafting items to be written for the game.  Not only would this be alot of work, but no one would be able to gather all the necessary ingredients (at least, not without it becoming unprofitable).  Plus, they would take several different skills to create.