Why I hate the Rinth

Started by Angry Rinther, August 08, 2006, 05:18:57 PM

Whoever said that it wasn't possible to survive in the Rinth for a long period of time was mistaken.  I've had three Rinther characters, two of whom were long-lived.

Quote from: "Cuusardo"All this talk about rinthis is making me want to give playing one a try. Seriously.

I recommend it.  It's a difficult ride, but it's one of the most unique places in the game.  It's a place where thieves rule rather than warriors, and where humans are not necessarily kings of the domain.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Rinth is kinda borring. NO PCs there. THey are all in the city plotting and shit. Maybe you'll see a few. But meh, it isn't that fun and just plain borring. After about 2 days of seeing the same shit poor NPCs carrying the same shit, it gets borring. You can begin to explore and learn everything about the rinth. But in the end, it is borring. And In terms of players if you are lucky enough to run into them. THey are your "brother" who is your best friend because you are the only other PC they have ever seen there, or you're an enemy who that person will attack on sight because they know you have shit because you are a PC and PCs always have shit.
90% of the people you see in the rinth, not too long after you see them, you find yourself looting the food off thier corpse because some NPC killed him or her.

IF you like solo RP it is f-ing awesome.
nuff said.

The rinth is the only way to go.

You'll figure it out eventually. It takes 3 chars.

1 to figure out what to wear.

2 to make a map.

And #3 is your guy.

Quote from: "Cuusardo"All this talk about rinthis is making me want to give playing one a try.  Seriously.

It's a great experience, seeing the place and getting a taste of what it's like. But if you don't have a group of regular players to hang around, or god forbid if you're off-peak, be prepared for loneliness. I estimate that there is at all times 5 or less active 'rinther players, of which most or all of them spend the vast majority of their time "southside". Do not expect a rich environment with gang wars and such, because with my three 'rinth PCs, I saw none of that. Most of the times the clans that supposedly inhabit the alleys are empty or have one player.

I was left with two options:

Being alone in the 'rinth except for the occasional (seriously, once every 2-3 days) encounter, most of whom I only met once before finding their body in an alley.

Or just hanging out in the Barrel or Gaj, where few wanted to interact with my dirty PC and where I felt nothing like I had pictured my 'rinth PC.
b]YB <3[/b]

All it takes is one good Rinther to get things going again. I've done it and seen it done a dozen times. Like every other place, even Allanak proper and Tuluk, it has alot of downtime when no one else is about.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I have never been disappointed in the rinth.  Never.  In my opinion, it is the finest part of all Zalanthas.  Anyone whos think nothing is going on there, frankly, probably just wasn't there long enough, or else the PC didn't have the necessary street smarts.  The rinth has its own special flavor of subtlety, and there is a LOT going on.

Play in the rinth.

I've had alot of interaction with 'rinth characters and in the 'rinth although never with 'rinthis. It's quite odd. My few 'rinth characters I've had end up being killed because I don't know which half I should be in or where it starts/ends.

Bleh.
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "creeper386"I've had alot of interaction with 'rinth characters and in the 'rinth although never with 'rinthis. It's quite odd. My few 'rinth characters I've had end up being killed because I don't know which half I should be in or where it starts/ends.
East for elves, West for humans (and presumably dwarves).
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Yeah, I knew that much. Never really helped though.
21sters Unite!

I am a new player, and chose the 'Rinth because it liked the sound of the atmosphere there, grimy and hella gritty, just how i like it!
I like the fact that that there are no PCs wandering round there.. it gives you satisfaction knowing that your character has the smarts to survive somewhere that many others cannot. It made me feel part of a 'gang', even though i was playing indie.
And i never got into any trouble wandering round the Westside, just made sure i was wearing raggy clothes, no weapons or armour on show and COINS TUCKED AWAY IN MY PACK!
Bizzarely, it wasn't until i starting exploring the other 'safer' areas of Allanak that i got into trouble and ended up dead.
quote="Dakkon Black"]Found salty oasis. Actually mek pee.[/quote]

Quote from: "MarshallStaxx"I am a new player, and chose the 'Rinth because it liked the sound of the atmosphere there, grimy and hella gritty, just how i like it!
I like the fact that that there are no PCs wandering round there.. it gives you satisfaction knowing that your character has the smarts to survive somewhere that many others cannot. It made me feel part of a 'gang', even though i was playing indie.
And i never got into any trouble wandering round the Westside, just made sure i was wearing raggy clothes, no weapons or armour on show and COINS TUCKED AWAY IN MY PACK!
Bizzarely, it wasn't until i starting exploring the other 'safer' areas of Allanak that i got into trouble and ended up dead.

southside kills 90% of rinthers. 90% of the people who die in the rinth are southsiders.
IMMSAESL (Sorry I Made My Sig An Entire Sentence Long)

Welcome to the jungle, baby.  You gonna DIIIIIEEEE!
:twisted:

The 'rinth is perfect the way it is.  Although I can certainly sympathize with the loss of valued characters there.

It's East LA, the Bronx, South Boston, Liberty City Miami, Skid Row all rolled into one happy quarter of Allanak......on CRACK!

The rules of the real life 'Jungle' do INDEED apply in the 'rinth.  Here are some real-life examples (I won't list in-game examples at the risk of spoiling things.  But this will work):

1.  If you're not poor and you're in the Jungle, you'd better LOOK poor at the very least!  In real life, I've seen one person mugged for the shoes he wore, another for wearing a nice leather jacket some thug wanted when he tried to buy drugs from the thug, and one poor schmoe for an empty wallet after a night of drinking because he was in the wrong part of Brooklyn BY HIMSELF at 2 am.  

2.  There are just SOME places in a city you DON'T go....EVER...if you are of the wrong sex/color/ethnic group/economic group/religion/sexual preference.
I've been assaulted once for being in the wrong place at the wrong time...alone.  I had to pre-emptively lay the smack down on another punk and RUN my ass off to a crowded subway terminal to avoid his friends' retribution because...again...I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  And both times of the wrong color/ethnic group/economic class.  I consider myself fortunate for still being alive.  And this is REAL LIFE I'm talkin' here!  heh heh.  Zalanthas is 100 times worse!

3.  If you're in 'The Jungle' and you're not part of a jungle tribe, you had BETTER be able to make others THINK you are!  Me and some pals in the Army were dropped off in the north Bronx by our ride (who was scared shitless of driving in the Bronx/Harlem at night and wouldn't take us to Penn Station where we could catch our train to Jersey).  One of my pals was FROM Harlem.  So he told us all to tuck our hands in our jacket/jean pockets, and keep our mouths shut, faces front, and move TOGETHER as if we owned the place.
Although we passed by several groups of young local toughs who eyed us with malice and suspicion, nobody messed with us.  Because we did what our learned friend told us to do.  We looked like we THOUGHT we belonged there...even though it was painfully obvious to anyone that we didn't...and we looked like it would be more trouble to challenge our right to pass through than to simply let us go on our way.

4.  Don't let your tembo mouth bite off more than your tregil body can possibly swallow.  Or....don't let your alligator mouth write checks your hummingbird ass can't cash.  If you aren't a badass....don't even think about pretending to be one with someone who LOOKS like a badass.  Sure, you can intimidate some folks in the bad parts of town.  Might even get something out of it....like an occasional bottle of wine or simply an ego boost to your character.  But when you cross paths with a REAL badass...you'd be an idiot to stand toe to toe with him or her.

5.  If you can't beat 'em.....RUN!  This goes hand in hand with number 4.  If you DO get yourself in over your head.  Don't be an idiot!  Beat feet and get the hell-pits out of there!  And I don't mean just around the corner either.  Some punks in real life hold a grudge and will not sleep that night until they bury you.  Don't expect any different in Zalanthas.
If you experience different...consider yourself lucky and move on anyway.
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

I need to say that anyone complaining that the rinth is too hard for newbies is probably correct. Ask any templar, or your Byn sarge.. or a noble. They will all tell you to stay the hell out. It's not supposed to be easy.

For those of you unfourtunates who can't stay out;

1) Rags. If I see someone dressed nice and I am playing there.. I'll mug that fekker too.

2) Run. It's simple really, if you're being attacked.. chances are good you are outnumbered or outclassed. The flee skill gets a workout and you scream IRL terror as your PC nearly feeds worms.

3) Rob. In the lawless land, do as the lawless do to survive.

4) Repeat  I just threw this in cause it started with "r"
Bhagharva the Purulent Carcass

I have the best advice for you evar.

If you are newb - Don't play a rinther.

Get used to the game -then- play a character that is going to wonder around the lawlessness of Zalanthas with super agro PCs yeah?  Play something else - relax and revisit the Rinth one day far from now when you are nice and addicted and good at fleeing.

I was an elf who got killed by a human in the rinth who didn't tell me why. I think he was a mass murderer-type, or I was on the wrong side of the rinth... who knows?
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

December 16, 2009, 12:10:50 PM #41 Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:24:43 PM by Chettaman
Quote from: thunderlord on August 10, 2006, 03:58:41 PM
Rinth is kinda borring. NO PCs there. THey are all in the city plotting and shit. Maybe you'll see a few. But meh, it isn't that fun and just plain borring. After about 2 days of seeing the same shit poor NPCs carrying the same shit, it gets borring. You can begin to explore and learn everything about the rinth. But in the end, it is borring. And In terms of players if you are lucky enough to run into them. THey are your "brother" who is your best friend because you are the only other PC they have ever seen there, or you're an enemy who that person will attack on sight because they know you have shit because you are a PC and PCs always have shit.
90% of the people you see in the rinth, not too long after you see them, you find yourself looting the food off thier corpse because some NPC killed him or her.

IF you like solo RP it is f-ing awesome.
nuff said.
Boring?... or redundant? It's like living in a ghetto in real life. (minus the guns)
If you're not finding satisfaction from killing your enemies, sitting around and doing drugs, just so you can go out and kill some more of your enemies. Then I don't think 'the thug life' is for you, homeboy.
just sayin'. The struggle ain't fun. The struggle is somethin' you -have- to do.

Edited to add:
Doh!
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

^^ you're replying to a thread from 2-3 years ago.

Please leave dead topics dead.  Also if you have any issues with something that happened IC, please use the Request tool in and send in a Complaint.  Please do not place IC situations on the GDB.  Thank you.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.