Sniff room code!

Started by RunningMountain, August 02, 2006, 11:39:01 PM

We all know sniff room exists but I hate trying it outside and finding nothing. Now if certain things were hard coded to make sniff room work on a timer!

Wouldn't stuff like this rock?

Badass sorcerer fireballs stupid ranger who told him to fuck off.
Sniff room whereever or the middle of nowhere shows:
The smell of burnt flesh lingers in the air.

Or another example with spice or fire. Sniff person works for spice, but not sniff room, perhaps taking those same echoes used in each spice category and adding them to the room (if they smoked a hefty amount of it) Would be a cool addition.

God the possibilites are endless. For spells in particular, maybe if you use components or something in casting it would add a pungeant aroma for certain types like leaves or roots or something.

Even combat could add a certain smell, if a corpse is in the room for more then a few IC hours it should add:
The reek of death and decay is in the air.

Or something like that. You could even make the sniff room not work at all in strong winds outside.

Feedback?
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Might be hard to code.
-Ken

Quote from: "Kennath"Might be hard to code.
-Ken

With the awesome coders arm has? I'd put my faith in them to be able to do it.

Plus the code already exists.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Could use some kind of variant of the incense code, couldn't it?  Time specific, maybe just append that the room is a special kind of smelly to the end of the room desc...after all, it should be apparent to anybody walking in.  Unless they have a bad cold.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "LauraMars"Could use some kind of variant of the incense code, couldn't it?  Time specific, maybe just append that the room is a special kind of smelly to the end of the room desc...after all, it should be apparent to anybody walking in.  Unless they have a bad cold.

Yeah, I guess certain intense smells could be appended to the room. I still like the idea of having to sniff room to find certain things. Makes me feel like a detective.

Yeah, there aren't many places that sniff room seems to accomplish anything.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

neat idea.
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

The greasy, barrel paunched half giant sits here shovelling beans into his mouth with gusto.

Seriously though, such code could give some interesting things to be done with city encounters, out of city encounters and all sorts of stuff.

Personally, I like this idea a lot, and have even thought about doing some things related to it (and in fact, have on a very very small scale).  There are certain code hitches with saving rooms and other things that we'd have to overcome, but I'm sure there'd be a solution.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

RM, that is a killer idea.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Slightly on a tangent, but for those of you who are sniffing rooms and coming up short-smelled.. feel free to idea those rooms with a smell suggestion.

I've been making an effort to include scent descriptions in all the new rooms I build, I'd be happy to go back through and add more.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Quote from: "Adhira"Slightly on a tangent, but for those of you who are sniffing rooms and coming up short-smelled.. feel free to idea those rooms with a smell suggestion.

I've been making an effort to include scent descriptions in all the new rooms I build, I'd be happy to go back through and add more.

What she said.  And if you want, you can email me with any ideas you have for special situation scents - such as the charred smell when someone gets fireballed, etc.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Does silt smell?  Like, at all?  Thats something I've never been able to figure out.
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

Great idea!

And I don't think silt smells more than sand and dirt does.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Sir Diealot"Does silt smell?  Like, at all?  Thats something I've never been able to figure out.

Silt should have some sort of smell to it.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I think silt smells like dusty mud.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Silt makes me think of when a lake or river is low and the mud baking in the sun on the shores has that... methany-dead stuff-hot mud smell.

Hmmm...I have a feeling that silt smells like choking if you try too hard.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.