My Opinion of Allanak

Started by Forty Winks, July 20, 2006, 12:01:54 AM

Which city-state, if you had to choose between the two, do you like more as a player, currently?

Allanak
47 (61%)
Tuluk
30 (39%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: September 03, 2006, 12:01:54 AM

Quote from: "Nao"I think that everyone haniging out in the bards barrel isn't that great - you obviously can't close it from one day to another, but it still seems to be too much in the center of attention. Why would everyone decide to hang out in the northerners bar anyway? Middle class removing from the list..

I'd really, really like to see the pbase divided between the traders and the gaj instead of the barrel and the gaj.

The circle is complete.  http://www.armageddon.org/HyperNews/get/general-archive2001/1152/1/1/3.html

People hang out at the Gaj too much, more people should go to the Barrel.
[Time passes.]
People hang out at the Barrel too much, more people should to the Gaj.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

AC, that was an awesome recovery.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Alright, about the Arena games:

I think every IC month (nearly two weeks IRL) there can be arena games.  You can sign your name there to an NPC for the next arena games and anyone checking "list" can see who is going to be in the next game.  The matches can be decided by the PC templars at the day of the games.  So if you want to match someone badly, you might want to convince(!) your templar about it.  The games are supposed to be non-deadly but accidents(!) can happen.  And anybody, who signs up but does not show up, will have a mild punishment from the templarate (probably some fee for stupidity).

In case someone just wants to cheat by putting a fake name or someone else's name, the NPC lists the applying character's sdesc.

Also, in the stands, there can be automated bets the PCs can bet on.  Also, PCs can play bets as they like.  The games can be designed by the PC templars.  The simplest can be matching pairs, or a free for all, or stand against the beast hordes.  Signing up to the games would be free, and if you win you earn a small fee.  (In addition, you can earn a portion of the bets on your match as well.)

I got this much at the moment.  If I get more ideas I will add them up here.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Another idea about taverns, (especially for Gaj):

I would like to see a PC running the Gaj tavern.  It could work like, when the PC logs in, he can order the NPC bartender to go to the backroom and he takes control.  

This can help a lot for PC interaction, imagine actually -hearing- the rumors from the person serving the drinks.  He can tell you about the rumors depending on how much you drink each day, and he can give you discount, he can give you work etc.  He can put certain games each month, and keep the tavern alive.  He can add dart games, wrestling contests, arm wrestling contests, who can beat more bards contests, drinking contests...etc.

The role will be purely mundane, and will open more job options and interaction environment for the playerbase.  The IC reason for putting an aditional bartender will be, well, since the bartender is not really staying there up all day and night, and sleeping sometimes, it is already in there are different bartenders.  And if the PC retires, we can always say the owner of the tavern (I am assuming the bartender and the owner are different people) was not happy with the previous one and hired someone else.

This can also be in for Tuluk as well.  But I think Gaj would make an excellent PC run tavern.
some of my posts are serious stuff

You should send scripts of arena fights to Sanvean; that will bring it to life, at the very least.  

I am against the arena idea proposed by The7DeadlyVenomz.... unless the following is implemented as well:
-The competitor cannot choose his/her opponent.
-The competitor cannot flee to safety if unable to win (that means, if you're not up to it, you die).
It shouldn't be a place where you can go to power-anything, it should be a place that you would -never- want to see from anywhere, but the stands.

Semper Pax,

Dirr
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Unlike Dirr, whom I am glad to see back in action on the forums and with whom I am pleased to disagree with again :), I think the Arena Games would be something that people in Allanak might volunteer to participate in as a life-style. The fame and fortune that could follow strings of wins would entice anyone.

I do agree with Dirr, though, as far as his first two points go. If you go in, you live, or you die. And you can not pick your opponent. I would like to see the script that governs the Games check on a few stats and skills for you, and give you a foe that doesn't completely outclass you.

For example, a newbie Gladiator should face anything from a 'Rinth prisoner to a weak gith. A moderately skilled fighter would face anything from a spider to a mantis. And master fighters would end up facing anything from a Mekillot to an anakore.

This way, the fights would tend to actually be worth watching.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

The one thing that bugs me about Allanak is the Labyrinth. It doesn't feel like it was ever a part of the city in times past. It feels like it was constructed for no other purpose than to be a maze. It needs more other things besides the very few places that make it feel populated and lived in to flush it out. Also, more of a variety of npcs besides the "figure in a dark hooded cloak" that dominates the place.

A long time ago, (during the days when muls weren't just slaves and pcs started in the upstairs of the Trader's, I think) the Labyrinth felt like the slums of the city and was more believable. It was changed since that time and it is somewhere that Ihave no desire to play anymore because it doesn't immerse me into the gameworld. Just about every other part of the gameworld feels more real than the Labyrinth.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "jhunter"The one thing that bugs me about Allanak is the Labyrinth. It doesn't feel like it was ever a part of the city in times past. It feels like it was constructed for no other purpose than to be a maze. It needs more other things besides the very few places that make it feel populated and lived in to flush it out. Also, more of a variety of npcs besides the "figure in a dark hooded cloak" that dominates the place.

A long time ago, (during the days when muls weren't just slaves and pcs started in the upstairs of the Trader's, I think) the Labyrinth felt like the slums of the city and was more believable. It was changed since that time and it is somewhere that Ihave no desire to play anymore because it doesn't immerse me into the gameworld. Just about every other part of the gameworld feels more real than the Labyrinth.

Just curious if you think this is societal, or if's the walls that have been constructed since?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: "Barzalene"
Quote from: "jhunter"The one thing that bugs me about Allanak is the Labyrinth. It doesn't feel like it was ever a part of the city in times past. It feels like it was constructed for no other purpose than to be a maze. It needs more other things besides the very few places that make it feel populated and lived in to flush it out. Also, more of a variety of npcs besides the "figure in a dark hooded cloak" that dominates the place.

Just curious if you think this is societal, or if's the walls that have been constructed since?

I think both contribute to it in their own ways. The construction of it doesn't seem like part of -any- city, run-down or not. (Or that it ever really was part of a city at all.)
There should be more variety of npcs in the Labyrinth and more visible (rather than virtual) appearance of people trying to eek out a living there.

Quote from: "jhunter"

I think both contribute to it in their own ways. The construction of it doesn't seem like part of -any- city, run-down or not. (Or that it ever really was part of a city at all.)
There should be more variety of npcs in the Labyrinth and more visible (rather than virtual) appearance of people trying to eek out a living there.

All of these figures in dark cloaks also have sdescs.  They just choose to wear those cloaks because it makes them inconspicuous because others wear them.
quote="spawnloser"]Masturbate.[/quote]

Quote from: "flaran"
Quote from: "jhunter"

All of these figures in dark cloaks also have sdescs.  They just choose to wear those cloaks because it makes them inconspicuous because others wear them.

So? That doesn't mean it's not cheesy and they are all sort of doing the same thing as far as appearances are concerned.