Casting Spells

Started by Lavalamps, July 03, 2006, 05:42:24 PM

Quote from: "Yokunama"
Quote from: "SpyGuy"
Quote from: "Delirium"You don't have to emote out saying it - in fact that's a bit redundant.

Well you usually would in order to emote how you're chanting the spell.  In a strong, clear voice?  In a soft whisper?  Inquiring minds want to know before you kill them!

Death is never expected nor should it be.

Really, you do not have to emote the chanting. There are other things you can do before sending the incantation through the prompt. Don't forget to use hemote magickers, it is your friend.

I have no clue what the death is never expected part means, I was joking when I talked about mages killing people.

Also I think I should correct my original post.  I did not mean magickers characters would usually emote how they were chanting.  Frankly I don't care if you emote drawing squiggles in the air when you cast or if rushed don't emote at all.  What I meant was responding to Delirium if you are emoting and including your chant in your emote it isn't necessarily redundant, you would usually be doing it to further explain how you are performing the chant.  Just like you would emote how you perform a disarm before or just after using the disarm command.

Yes hemotes are magickers friends if you're the type of mage that does magick with very subtle motions and soft words.

And thanks for staff input Xygax.  I'm all behind that definition, particularly because of certain coded requirements for being able to cast a spell.

"My mages didn't use words..".. Impossible. Check with your local <insert elementalist type here>. When you can't speak, you cannot cast. When you can't move, you cannot cast.

I see no need to staff opinion because it's clear, code forces us to be able to speak and move while casting.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "Cenghiz""My mages didn't use words..".. Impossible. Check with your local <insert elementalist type here>. When you can't speak, you cannot cast. When you can't move, you cannot cast.

I see no need to staff opinion because it's clear, code forces us to be able to speak and move while casting.

To chime in again Cenghiz is right IMHO, usually I am quick to play devil's advocate just to get other views out there but after learning what I have of magick I understand there is a need for the words. If you have been going without it and the staff have said nothing kewlness good luck with that, know that serious magick rp though may cause you to die. To explainl if my magicker who has been studying his ass off in the temple, going to lectures from a Templar, as well as speaking with some slightly less then normal creatures finds out you have found a way around what the (actually this is in the docs apparently) need to utter the syllables then he may assume your a sorc, demon, or something worse he doesn't even know about.

You can rp they draw the power through dance or song (I had a magicker that drew his power ic'ly from playing an instrument) the fact of the matter though is they -do- utter the syllables. You can't expect people to ignore it because -you- have decided it is otherwise. That is like saying it is okay for your elf to ride and expect the rest of us to just go along with it without repercussions to you.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

True that home G, you can't cast if you can't speak or move, code wise.

Gotta speak something, gotta wave your hands.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.