Should weight lifting affect stats?

Started by John, February 14, 2003, 01:27:49 AM

Should actions in the game affect your stats?

Yes
1 (100%)
No
0 (0%)
Only in a positive way to stop it from being impossibly hard
0 (0%)
Only in a negative way to stop it from becoming ridiculously easy
0 (0%)
I'm not sure
0 (0%)
I couldn't care less
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: February 14, 2003, 01:27:49 AM

NOTE: I'm not starting this thread to be another thread discussing whether or not there is an imbalance currently in the game, but just to see what people think of it (true, some people will probably make points about it fixing the "current imbalance". That's fine, just not the main purpose of the thread ;)).

Ouch's post in this thread about how he worked out IRL and became stronger, so shouldn't that happen in the game got me thinking about similar situations in the game. Your skills go up after certain things happen, and so does your HP, MVT and STUN after certain things happen, so why not stats as well?

The reason I think it would be a good addition to the game, is because the skills are obviously needed, but IMO the HP etc, isn't as direly needed, but the Imms felt they should add it  to the game, and it's a _very_ nice little feature, because it reflects IG actions with coded rewards, and yet isn't essential to succeed in the game.

Code-wise it would be very easy to grab the HP code, tweak it with minimal effort, then plonk it in the game (okay, okay, it's harder then that, and there could be issues that don't seem obvious because of how the code is written).

HOWEVER if it were to be added, without some changes, then it would probably make things easier then they are now, and I like things at the current level of difficulty. So in order to balance the system, there are several changes that could be made:
* Make the stats that you get with your initial roll and reroll have a higher chance of being on the lower end of the power spectrum.
* Make it so it's only possible to move up one "rating"^ with a lot of hard work, or even only half a rating.

I can't think of any other ideas, but I'm sure there's plenty. It could be used in conjunction with the fact stats increase on your birthday or in replacement of. Also, you could do a really low version, that doesn't give much of an advantage to players' (and either leave it as that or) use it as a trial run to see how people react. If people don't abuse it or become hung up over it, you could make it so you can increase your initial stats even more (but with a lot more hard work) and also make it so after a certain age certain stats become harder to maintain (e.g. When you reach 50, you have to exercise more to stop your strength from going down).

The main reason for implementing this IMO, is not to make people who "believe there's a current imbalance" happy but to add a little more depth to the game. I also don't expect this to be coded tomorrow, but thought it might be something worth considering.

^ a rating is "average"

[EDIT]: GODDAMNIT!!!!!! THIS IS REALLY PISSING ME OFF!!! I submit the thread, I vote, I edit some spelling errors, click submit, the poll dissapears, re-add it, and now I've doubled up every single option!!!!!!!

So sorry for this everyone. I don't know why the poll code hates me so much all of a sudden.  :cry:

[EDIT]: *submits apology*
*notices the poll has yet again dissapeared*
*closes browser, opens up again and poll is still gone*

Well this is fucked! I aint braving the poll again, so you'll have to live without a poll. *mutters about message boards hating him* :P

I have no clue what I was planning on typing here... I ended up reading that OTHER post you mentioned. And then completely forgot everything...

Hmm... If your talking about stat manipulation through IC things... yes I'd probably agree that it should be done... But I think it should probably be put in quietly. Not told to the players. And probably be kept on the low end. Not a dramatic effect in change and shouldn't be obvious in how it's done or anything... You know what I mean?

Maybe not. But I think it should be done in a way that it's kept quiet... Perhaps have something similar to have something in reroll, well I don't know... Any idea for a stat change there could result in alot of similar stats similar...

I don't know..

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Oooh, with all the hassle with the poll I forgot to mention this system is already in place. You can RP doing exercises of all sorts, and send in a log and an Imm will consider boosting your stats. But I don't give one whit about stats, so I wouldn't do that, but I'd get enjoyment from having this change implemented, it'd also give more incentive for people to RP exercising (with coded items of course).

I wouldn't necessarily want balance through lower starting stats, this would just "force" everyone to take up body building at the start of their carreers.  I'd rather see stats become more dynamic overall.

Weightlifting could very, very slowly raise your strenghth.  Being a scavenger or crafter who regularily totes loads that "VERY heavy" or above should do the same thing.  Running or preforming intricate tasks might very slowly raise your dexterity.  Reading would get you killed by a templar.   :P   But perhaps using magick or the way could very slowly raise wisdom.  Naturally, when your character was first rolled, your starting stats would determine your maximum potential, which you can't exceed.  You couldn't go from Below Average to Absolutely incredible, no matter how much you practice, because some of that potential is set in childhood.

On the other hand, serious injuries would have a chance of slowly lowering your stats.   Getting many severe head wounds could make you less wise.  Many nasty arm or leg wounds could lower your strength.  Many bad hits to hands, wrists, ankles and feet could slowly sap your dexterity.  Bad hits to your neck, torso and waist would lower your endurance.  That's a little simplistic, I know, but game mechanics work better when they are simple.  Sitting in taverns for days on end might errode your physical abilities, and give you a flat butt.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I say stay in character and do what your character would do.  Exercise is such bull shit in Armageddon it isn't even funny.  I'd say half the populace is going to be either 1. fit and athletic shape 2. diseased or starving
and since stats DO matter so much, PERSONALLY I'd like to see FAR more bonuses given on the initial roles, (not the max) for race/class/weight/height.  If you make a 90 inch d-elf who weighs 9 ten-stone you should have exceptional strength, which is not high for a d-elf but that is a BIG elf, so why would he NOT have high strength?  I don't know how the code works, but having low stats sucks.

Quote from: "Delerak"I say stay in character and do what your character would do.  Exercise is such bull shit in Armageddon it isn't even funny.  I'd say half the populace is going to be either 1. fit and athletic shape 2. diseased or starving
yes, and I like to think most people do stay IC, but sometimes things just don't occur to them, or they designate that job for something they do mostly while logged off.

You've got a point with the "everyone would be in shape or half-dead" statement. A lot of people probably would be pretty strong and in shape, but that's by Earth standards. When everyone is a certain way (such as in shape) then it becomes the norm, and some people will then extend beyond the norm and become even stronger, they'd do this by exercising more. When I play city roles that require me to be in shape, I exercise. I do hand exercises by pumping a rock. I lift things up and down, I do laps to let me run in long distances, and sprints over short distances. That way I'm doing that exercise IN ADDITION to the normal exercise everyone does by living, so ICly I can become stronger.

Blah.  Stats being a bitch is just one of those things I think players need to suck and take.  If the thread complaining that the weakest playable race in the game is getting jacked because they can't fire a long bow like a human or dwarf can is not evidence enough that players already worry far too much, I don't know what is.  Personally, I would almost rather see the stats hidden at the expensive of having no clear way to determine ones abilities just to get people to take their minds off of it.

No offense, but I personally loath the idea.  I can just see every Byn member all of a sudden having a weight lifting addiction, or perhaps that human ranger that wears himself ragged all day coming home and doing pushups to make sure his strength stats is boosted as high as it can go.  I really don't see much to be gained.  If you are in an organization, then strength training should be in not because the code forces it to keep your stats maxed out, but because they mandate you do it.  When I was the leader of a military organization I took my troops on foot marchers and never expected us to have our MP start raising.  I did it because it was the IC thing to do.

The recent "Oh, I can't play my concept because my strength is so low" undercurrent running through the GDB is crap.

Deal or die.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "Rindan"No offense, but I personally loath the idea.
None taken. You loathe my idea and not me (AFAIK :P). When I come up with a rebuttal against an argument, it's not cause I want to browbeat you into agreeing with me, but because I just like to discuss things a lot. (If I don't reply to something it's cause I can't come up with a rebuttal and quite probably agree with you).

Quote from: "Rindan"I can just see every Byn member all of a sudden having a weight lifting addiction, or perhaps that human ranger that wears himself ragged all day coming home and doing pushups to make sure his strength stats is boosted as high as it can go.
Good point. I see this as a flaw in the player's mindset (no offence to anyone) rather then the idea. But every system is only as good as the people who use it. Doing the above would be, being a twink and should be dealt with as such. However I wouldn't want Imms spending all their time chasing twinks because of something that only adds a little bit of depth to the game. Good point with specifically mentioning the Byn, I think with adding this ex HnSers might find the transition more difficult. A way to avoid this is Creeper's keep-it-quiet method, but how could you keep it quiet? How quiet should it be kept?

Then again, maybe we're being a BIT too pessimistic. I'm sure A LOT of people said this about the scribble code, and now it probably goes unused for the most part, cause it's an RP prop and many probably view it as not worth the hassle.

QuoteI'm sure A LOT of people said this about the scribble code, and now it probably goes unused for the most part, cause it's an RP prop and many probably view it as not worth the hassle.

For whatever it's worth, I've been finding the scribble code very useful for leaving little marks for myself so I can find my way home :)

Um...I like the idea of how your character lives their life affects how their mind and body develops.

However...the idea of 'exercising' in a world like Zalanthas is fairly ludicrous to me. Every working Joe and Jane's body is likely to be stretched to the limit by everyday activity, 100+ degree temperatures daily, poor nutrition, etc. If you are a mercenary or a guard or in some sort of martial position, your training should be providing all the physical conditioning you need, and surely that will be reflected in your physique.

'Jogging', 'working out' and 'cross-training' are all very new concepts. As in, only decades old. Before that time the only people who might have done such things were professional athletes, and frankly I don't think Zalanthas has an equavalent of such, with the possible exception of gladiators. Soldiers and manual laborers got their physique by soldiering and laboring, not by using Bowflex or jogging in the park.

Anytime anyone mentions running for exercise or even the word 'exercise' itself in game, it just makes me blink and say "Huh?" Your mileage may vary, but to me, it's grossly out-of-genre and jarring.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Stat boosts are something that are very rarely given out by immortals. If you think you should have one, ask yourself the following: Do you really need it? Average strength is just that. Average. The average of what Zalanthan, the hardier people, have. In my mind, stat boosts should only bring someone up to average. If you have poor strength and are a human warrior or ranger or something that depends on lugging things around, then go ahead and apply.

Second, have you played it out? Three or four instances of you doing push-ups really won't do it. You need something that's constant, played out, and requiring vigorous exercise.

And third, is the character long-lived enough to appreciate it? It doesn't seem practical to apply for a stat boost when you have a two or three day old character. Wait at least until you're six or seven. You've got time then to still roleplay out all the exercises, and you've proved you can be a long-lived character. Not only that, but waiting gives you time to ask yourself whether a low stat is a fun quirk or not.

Other than that, I say suck it up. You always take a chance when you reroll. My last character had average strength, exceptional agility, extremely good wisdom, and exception endurance. Yeah, pretty badass. However, I retired him because he ceased interesting me. In the long run,though, stats really don't matter.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Why don't you just assume that the stats you have rely on the fact that your character already does whats neccessary to stay in shape? Be it emoted out when logged on or assumed to be done at some virtual time.

Its just as easy to say that there should be a code where if you don't exersize, your strength goes down, which I find equally silly.

Thats all for today.
 great evil walks Zalanthas...
Master Z has arrived from the west!

Only thing I have say on this is, Since there are already coded things in game that can Lower certain stats perm,  then I see no reason why the code should not be in place to do the opposite.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "Delerak"If you make a 90 inch d-elf who weighs 9 ten-stone you should have exceptional strength, which is not high for a d-elf but that is a BIG elf, so why would he NOT have high strength?  I don't know how the code works, but having low stats sucks.

I disagree.  If height and weight all the sudden started to affect your strength rolls, suddenly every human would be 78 inches and 9 ten-stone.  The rolls must be kept seperate to keep a balance.

Working out is such a modern day concept in my opinion.  In the middle ages and such, there were no gyms, no lifting weights etc.  You trained for battle and that was it.  You got stronger through swinging your sword and marching in armor, not by working out on an ancient ancestor of a bowflex.

I'm not opposed to being able to raise your stats, but lifting weights isn't the way to do it.  Better that if you're in combat alot, swining around heavy weapons all the time, you will have the -chance- to have your stregnth -slowly- rise.
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

Okay, I see my original post got mis-understood (not suprising :P).

I wasn't advocating exercise being the (only or even main) way to raise stats, but more on the lines of what AC said with lifting heavy things, because you need too, or by swinging your sword around a lot, and using a sword that you need two hold with both hands, well after a long time of using it you'd eventually be able to hold it one hand because your strength would have increased (not saying stats should increase that much, was just thinking of an IC way to explain it).

As for not exercising. What sort of training techniques would be more realistic within Zalanthas then? I thought that I was being really clever thinking of doing sprints and squeezing rocks to harden your hands etc and it not giving a coded bonus. Obviously mainly younger people would do that sort of thing though. So, just some general ideas on more Zalanthan military training techniques would be good :) (I don't mean specific in sword techniques, but more strength wise, or wouldn't it be done at all?).

Quote from: "Fedaykin"
I'm not opposed to being able to raise your stats, but lifting weights isn't the way to do it.  Better that if you're in combat alot, swining around heavy weapons all the time, you will have the -chance- to have your stregnth -slowly- rise.

To avoid being too combat-centric, other muscle-intesive activities should have as much effect.  Not weight lifting, I agree that is pretty unlikely.  But chopping down trees, hauling loads of stone and lumber, certain kinds of crafting, and maybe even pulling a bow  :wink:  are going to require strength as much as combat does.

Most of these activities, but especially combat and toating "unbelievably heavy" loads, should also have a chance of lowering your strength.  How many people do you know who have a "bad back" by the time they are in their 30s because they hoisted a heavy load incorrectly?  Practically everyone I know claims to have a bad back, but I few of them are probably just lazy.   :P   Maybe this is already covered by the aging code, when you get past a certain point your strength starts dropping, reflecting the raggedy condition of your body.

Just for the record, while I enjoy discussing the possibilities of the world affecting your coded attributes, it's not a big deal to me.  The system works fine the way it is, in my opinion.  I just enjoy discussing systems.  I was a regular participant in a White Wolf discussion group for years without every playing one of their games (I bought some of the books, I just never played).  Game mechanics ammuse me, with their crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside goodness.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "John"Okay, I see my original post got mis-understood (not suprising :P).

I wasn't advocating exercise being the (only or even main) way to raise stats, but more on the lines of what AC said with lifting heavy things, because you need too, or by swinging your sword around a lot, and using a sword that you need two hold with both hands, well after a long time of using it you'd eventually be able to hold it one hand because your strength would have increased (not saying stats should increase that much, was just thinking of an IC way to explain it).

As for not exercising. What sort of training techniques would be more realistic within Zalanthas then? I thought that I was being really clever thinking of doing sprints and squeezing rocks to harden your hands etc and it not giving a coded bonus. Obviously mainly younger people would do that sort of thing though. So, just some general ideas on more Zalanthan military training techniques would be good :) (I don't mean specific in sword techniques, but more strength wise, or wouldn't it be done at all?).

I actually think that people are misjudging exercise in the ancient world.  There was exercise in the a ancient world.  Sparta immediately comes to mind as an example.  The routine was for everyone to get out of bed early in the morning and do calisthenics naked.   In fact, the world calisthenics comes from the Greek words beauty and strength.  It should also be pointed out though that Sparta at the time of doing this an almost purely warrior society.

I think it is completely realistic for your Byn sergeant to make you run, lift rocks, or do whatever sick punishments he feels is necessary.  That said, I imagine any sort of exercise would be focused around combat, and that most people outside of military organizations would not work in this manner.  So, taking your troops while they are loaded down with full gear on a jog makes perfect sense.  That is something they would have to do in combat.  Further, the exercise would be much cruder then what we do today.  You wouldn't make sure you work each muscle.  You would lift that heavy rock because if you do it enough, the reasoning is that you will get used to it.  Your average Joe Blow ranger on the other hand would never do such a thing.  He needs all the energy he has for work.  Expending energy training or working out a painful luxury.  Only people who are forced to and have the extra resources to do it would do it, in my opinion.

Working out is not a new concept.  The ancient Greeks went to to gymnasium every day.  They did isometric and calisthenic excercises, weights may be a fairly new idea but working out definately is not.  I would say that what we've done on earth in the past is a mute point anyways because we're talking about Zalanthas.  I would like there to be some way to control which stat is the highest or something because despite what many people have said low strength really can damage a character concept.

I personally thing, for those people who think stats ruin character concepts, are looking at it funny. More often then not, I do sometimes rely on stats for a character concept, but the more I rely on stats, the more I'm disapointed when a finally get down to his final stats. Now when I plan a character not worrying about stats, more often I'm alot more surprised and happy with it, because I wasn't relying on anything specific.

Now, like I said with any sort of stat modifying from in the game, I beleive it'd have to be introduced with no sort of information given to players, period. Sooner or later people might start notice their stats changing at times other then a birthday, but they aren't going to know why most likely or what specifically they did, which I think is the way to do it so the characters continue going about what they would do normally.

With the loosing stats because something bad happens, I don't really like, more so because I like the player to have alittle control over their character under circumstances. Now, I already RP injuries, let them change my character and effect them in the long run, but I don't beleive I'd like a code that handles it. Same reason why I'm against broken bone code or things like that, because when it's coded even with a LOW chance of it happening, it's going to happen alot. I can see all the Byn walking about with crippled stats, and just about every bone shattered, and well, on terms of OOCily, I think the player of Byn characters get enough crap without having alot of crippled characters, and it's not just the Byn, but when people mention powergaming they seem to bring up the Byn automatically, so I figured I would say this because Byn don't deserve barely any of what they get let alone alot of coded problems, the coded death is a big hindrance already.

Creeper who hmm... Doesn't know.
21sters Unite!

This is probally not the right place to post this but...

Right now I've got a character with fairly well rounded stats.  The thing I dont like is, when you create a character's build to be small and light, focusing on speed rather than strength, or big and heavy, focusing on strength, but you get lower than 'good' in the stats that would seem logical for your character.

It pains me to see a short, six or seven ten-stone human/elf/whatever be stronger than the tall, nine ten-stone guy.

I think also, that perhaps classes should have some effect as to how their stats are rolled.  From what I know (I could be wrong) a merchant has the same chance at being as strong as a warrior per se.  While the merchant may be carrying heavy loads now and then, they're usually sitting on the arse and crafting.  The warrior, on the otherhand, is working out in the ring, hunting, etc. constantly.

Personally I'd like to see rangers as being, in general, more agile.
I'd like to see warriors as more robust.
And I'd like to see merchants and magicker types to be more intellegent.

Because face it, in a rough place like Zalanthas, a stupid, uncharismatic merchant is not going to survive.
A weak guard/soldier is a dead one.
And slow thieves/assassins/rangers, are ineffective ones.

My ideas is to have these types of classes, with the corresponding attributes no lower than good.  Or perhaps just  a bonus.  Then on the otherhand, cap the opposite stats and prevent them from being abnormally high.

Just my two sid.

To be honest, I don't really like that. You're thinking inside the class.. remember your character really isn't limited by class. Just because you are a ranger doesn't mean you have to spend all your time prowling around outside the city and hunting animals. Just because you're a warrior doesn't mean you're going to be big and buff. What happens when you want to play the inept, scrawny kid thats life dream is to be a great warrior someday? Or the fat, stubborn idiot that has managed to convince herself she's Zalanthas' best merchant? I dunno, just some thoughts. Your characters really aren't defined by your stats - just take what you have, work with it, play up their strengths, work with their flaws. No one's perfect, some were born on the shallow end of the gene pool, some were gifted at birth, so on and so on. It's always more rewarding to play a realistic character than it is a superhero. At least, IMHO.

Another thing is, that after you get a certain amount of time on your character, stats seem to have less and less of an actual effect on your character.

Of course of course.  But my only concern is when creating a flexible character, for instance, but I get poor agility or something.

Its not very cool to create a character with a certain background with stats that do not reflect it.

For example, the fatass merchant.  What kind of fatass merchant would have extremely good or absolutely incredible agility?  None, but it can happen.

Just my two sid

Quote from: "Sephiroto"For example, the fatass merchant.  What kind of fatass merchant would have extremely good or absolutely incredible agility?  None, but it can happen.
True, (and I hope I don't get killed for this) but IIRC an Imm said one time that the Imms are more then happy to tweak stats once rolled IF you provide good enough reasoning for it (and don't make a habit of it).

You'd also probably have to offer less then good reasoning to have your stats lowered :P (and you could also probably make a habit of it).

QuoteTrue, (and I hope I don't get killed for this) but IIRC an Imm said one time that the Imms are more then happy to tweak stats once rolled IF you provide good enough reasoning for it (and don't make a habit of it).

What imm said that, and when?

From my understanding, they don't like to mess around with stats.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

I can't remember, it might have been in the archives from 96 for all I know (I've read most of the arhives). Or I could be mis-remembering something (very likely).

I think I remember the Imm saying they don't mind, but in the same sentence stressed how much GOOD REASONING AND NOT MAKING A HABIT OF IT[/b] was. I also think I remember them mentioning lowering skills and saying "but no-one asks for that".

I don't know, my memory can be extremely good at times, and suprisingly faulty at other times.

This could have also been back when there wasn't rerolls. So the policy could have/probably changed.

One idea that just came to mind, in regards to wanting stats that more closely reflected the description of your character. For example, if you're playing an obese character, chances are he's not going to be very fleet of foot, so he'd likely have a lower agility. On the other hand, his massive girth might give him some added brute strength, thus resulting in a higher-than-average strength stat. One way of doing this without having to pester the imms would be to implement something during character creation that alows you to rank the stats from most important to least important, so that during the stat roll they're weighted according to your perception of the character. Granted, you could still have shitty stats, but of the stats, your most important would be the least shitty of the four and so on :).

Anyhow, I don't actually mind the system the way it is, just throwing this idea out for the sake of debate.
I hope life isn't just one big joke, because I don't get it.  -- Jack Handy

I'm pretty sure the rolling system already takes into account weight.

Quote from: "Tony"I'm pretty sure the rolling system already takes into account weight.
But the weight is EXTREMELY restrictive and doesn't allow for truly obese people (on the assumption they're pretty rare), but I doubt anyone is going to want to special app JUST for an obese char :P And plus the highest amount of weight allowed to humans. 2 people would choose that. A fat person and a strong person. How does the code differentiate the two?

Quote from: "Sephiroto"Its not very cool to create a character with a certain background with stats that do not reflect it.

For example, the fatass merchant.  What kind of fatass merchant would have extremely good or absolutely incredible agility?  None, but it can happen.

I don't know how many times it has been said, just don't build characters around stats.  If you are going to build a character around stats, then get an e-mail ready to ask the imms to alter your stats or special app.  In the case of a fat ass merchant, who cares if his agility is high?  What are the chances that stat is ever going to mean a damned thing?  At best it will give him a slight bonus to agi.  Further, since you decided to use a case when the stats might be too high, I am fairly sure that the the imms will be happily to reduce stats if you just ask.

It has been said a thousand times.  Just don't build characters purely on stats.  

Make your assassin an aspiring assassin.  Don't put into his background that he can catch kank flies with his mad reflexes with his eyes closed.  If he turns out to be slow, then it is just an obstacle to overcome.

Make your burly warrior, but don't put into your background that he can lift a mek.  Just because he looks strong doesn't mean that he never broke his arm or is just bulky.  Make him want to be the biggest and most bad ass warrior.  If you get there, great.  If not, then oh well.  He is just another character who failed to reach his goals.

You want to have the cunning merchant, fine, go ahead and put into his background that he is quick upstairs.  If his wisdom stat rolls low, then it just means that while he might be quick, he has a harder time picking up things.  Bill Gates might be a smart guy, but that doesn't mean that he can learn to sword fight quickly.

Your stats could very well suck.  Base your character's background on stats at your own risk.[/b]  Or better yet, don't base your background on something as superficial as stats.

Also, when you get bad stats... You don't have to make them so straight forward... Although strenght is alittle straight forward that doesn't mean things can't be different otherwise.

Like, some fat ass merchant with absolutely incredible agility... That doesn't mean he's an acrobat or a tumbler. You can still have GREAT hand eye cordination if your fat, and I've seen some big people move quickly and accurately when it comes down to things. And so what if he has low wisdom, code wise that may mean you learn skills slower, RP wise doesn't mean he's dumb. He could be highly intelligent but maybe he's also luny? Perhaps he's absolutely cunning bastard, a regular strategy genious, but he has bad habits of talking to people about things he shouldn't. Does this mean that all of the characters with high or low stats should have quirks to give a reason why it's like that? No... Not really, specially with a too high stat... IGNORE it, but when it comes to lower stats... I love adding in little quirks to off set things, and give a reason why this military genious has below average wisdom... He's just a plan fucking crazy when it comes to his own personally well being or something... Who knows.

maybe you shouldn't do this... But I think it's alot of fun, SURE stats may not match up incredibly well, but  thats only if you take things for face value. Heck I'm sure you could come up with ALL sorts of things for strength even but I'm going on about 24 hours of no food so I can't think.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "creeper386"He's just a plan fucking crazy
hehe. I thought "hey, that's me!" except then I realised you didn't mean he makes lots of crazy plans :P

To emphasize on what everyone has said, skills and stats AREN'T always important. Even when you think they might be. I've made chars who I thought would use their skills a lot. Well it got to the stage where I'd type "skills" every once in a while JUST to remind myself what they were! :P

So even if you PLAN on making your character skills dependant, plans don't always work the way you think they will. ;)

Creeper wrote:
QuoteAnd so what if he has low wisdom, code wise that may mean you learn skills slower, RP wise doesn't mean he's dumb. He could be highly intelligent but maybe he's also luny? Perhaps he's absolutely cunning bastard, a regular strategy genious, but he has bad habits of talking to people about things he shouldn't.

I do agree that there are characters like that with no doubt what so ever, but in Arm, the wisdom roll is infact wheather you're extremely smart, or a complete retard just as strength lets you carry three baobab logs, or are a puny weak-looking nerd like me who can hardly lift his spoon to his mouth to whet his ravenous appetite.

Or atleast that's what I think...

Wisdom and intelligence are two different things.;)

Quote from: "Sephiroto"

I do agree that there are characters like that with no doubt what so ever, but in Arm, the wisdom roll is infact wheather you're extremely smart, or a complete retard

Wisdom mainly sets how quickly you learn, which isn't all there is to inteligence.  You can be a witty conversationalist but a slow learner.  You can have a photographic memory but be a slow learner when it comes to putting your memories into context and use.  You can be the best "Boggle" player in the country, and still be slow when learning new things.  You can be renowned concert musician and still be a slow learner.

AC

Not that this example applies to Zalanthas in any way, but we used to say in D&D that:

Intelligence was the ability to look up at the sky and go, "Hey, it's raining."
Wisdom was the ability to feel the rain and go, "Hey, if I stand under that awning I'll stay dry."

Code wise, wisdom effects as far as I know, rate of learning, as well as success of things of the brain... I don't consider the stat wisdom to be acctually wisdom or acctually intelligence(And yes I play D&D and even if I didn't they are STILL two seperate things) it is acctually both of them and probably more.

Example... Witty Professor, very smart guy, not too wise. He could have a high wisdom or a low wisdom and you can still RP him as the Nutty Professor because when you take into account wisdom isn't a painting on a wall but a two sided coin, BOTH work. Sure, if your playing a really smart guy, a high wisdom would be alot better, but if you get low wisdom doesn't mean you have to play someone stupid, or even that RP wise they learn slow, they can just have certain idiosyncrisies(SP?? BLAH) that level out things... Or you can just still RP him as a really smart guy(But personally, I like making my character concept, and them attach things do to the stats.

CODE wise, strength effects how much you can carry, how big of weapons you can use, and how much damage you have, perhaps your big buff guy gets a crap strength roll... Well, maybe he just doesn't like big weapons and likes to travel light, only carrying about useful things. Maybe even with all that muscle, it's more toned for quicker responses then slamming the torque meter all the way acrossed.

Agility... Now this one is about as two faces and wisdom, there can be so many different things I shouldn't probably mention anything... A fat guy with high agility... Well you don't want to get in the way when he's eatting, no try to snag that purse of 'sid of the table, because your wasting your time it's already gone. Now if you have a small scrawny pick pocket... He ends up being massively strong and has the dexterity of a drunken cow... Well that might be throwing things off abit, but you can still work with it. Maybe those scrawny little arms are acctually extremely well toned... And acctually I've seen small scrawny people that are ALOT stronger then a big buff looking guy, because that scrawny little guys muscles would working ALOT more together and didn't have to contend with fat or anything else. But most likely, if you have a small scrawny guy, his agilities going to be better off then his strength.

One of the reasons I really like going to the extremes when I'm making a class. A warrior might be shorter and heavier, a thief taller and and skinnier... And in all actuallity it works out decently for getting stats that fit your class... But, Tall and fat, short and skinny being on the same ends of both spectrums, most likely your stats are going to be more in the middle... Although I have NO clue how accurate this paragraph thing is(The jumble of words in the same block of this sentance).

Creeper who just confused himself he thinks.
21sters Unite!

I didnt feel like reading Creeper's 30 page essay about my post, but yeah....I guess I was wrong.

Personally, I see no reason to play out a high or low wisdom score.  As far as the code is concerned, wisdom just affects how fast you learn things and a few other traits.  You could have the lowest wisdom score a human can have and it is very doubtful anyone would notice.  I just play my characters at the intilligence I planed to play them at, and just assume that the wisdom stat effects how quickly he picks up on skills, not his intilligence, cunning, memory, or anything else that would effect my RP.

It's really sad, but Rindan kind of somed up what I was saying here... But everyone has had a habit of making MASSIVE posts so I figured I'd wait untill the fad went away and start doing it myself.

The only difference is I tend to add little quirks that make my character fit his stats better, which I think is fun, and tends to add alittle more, Zalanthanity to my characters. Kind of flushes them out alittle more, and more often then not it's little personality problems that give me a solid base to make mistakes from. Because sometimes when you come up with a character idea, you don't put in enough problems they have.

Ooh, like maybe if you have a big burly character planning on being strong and your get a really slow strength score, maybe it's because he is strong, but he has really bad time tiring out REALLY quickly so as to degrade himself with smaller weapons and a lighter pack, otherwise he might be sitting out on a dune someplace trying to wease loudly to call along predators to hurry up and end his terrible existance... I don't know... But it might work... He has the strength, but if he came down to acctually using it to much it leads to overexcertion(SP? shrug). Could be a result of some krath damn 'rinther disease he suffered from as a kid.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

This could all be so easily fixed if we had that one idea, rating what stats you want. Or even better, letting you see your stats before you make your long description or short desc.

Your stats are your character's innate abilities. To me, saying stats don't matter is stupid. You are playing a role, and that role is not only determined by you, but by your stats. That means, if you have terrible wisdom, you should in some way be slow and dumb. If you have a exceptional strength, you're likely to be cocky, maybe a bit of a bully.

Everyone in the world is defined by their abilities. IRL, I'm not a strong person myself, so I devote myself to books and learning. My good friend hates reading, and is strong as hell, does well in sports. It defines how we act and what we do with our lives.

Remember, you're playing a role here... can't just ignore your characters characteristics, right?

What I'm saying is that there needs to be a way for you to know your stats before you make your character. I'm not likely to become a warrior if my strength, agility, endurance are all low but my wisdom is high.

Quote from: "Guest"Working out is not a new concept.  The ancient Greeks went to to gymnasium every day.  They did isometric and calisthenic excercises, weights may be a fairly new idea but working out definately is not.

Quote from: "ArmageddonMUD"The wind itself can blow hot winds from the Salt Flats across the earth, raising the temperatures in cities such as Allanak to well above one hundred forty degrees.
http://www.armageddon.org/general/misc.html

You go right on ahead and work out, "Guest". My ass will be sitting in a tavern swilling booze.

Quote from: "Guest also"I would like there to be some way to control which stat is the highest or something because despite what many people have said low strength really can damage a character concept.

I agree with this. If we could choose the actual order from highest to lowest that would be even better, but just being able to choose which gets the highest roll would be nice.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I agree that it would be nice to know your stats when you are writing your description.  Do you weigh 9 ten stones because you are very muscular, or  because you have a massive pot belly.  If your strength and agility are both low, it's more likely to be a pot belly than rippling muscles.  

I just can't think of a feasable way that you could know your stats ahead of time.  If someone sees they have gotten what they consider crappy stats, they might shelve that really cool character concept and write up a quick "throw-away" character with the intent of getting it killed quickly, so they can try again.  At the end of the character creation process you can make changes to the character, what happens if someone makes their character as tall and heavy as possible, and approaching middle age, in and effort to pump up strength, endurance and wisdom, and then once the stats are set  they revise the character so it is a scrawny kid with the stats of a beefy adult?  If the system rerolls the stats when you adjust stat-affecting characteristics, some people would keep tinkering with those characteristics all day until they got a stat combo they liked.   That's just human nature.  If you are going to allow that kind of tinkering, you might as well just allow infinite rerolls, it would be easier on everyone.

Quote from: "Kalden"What I'm saying is that there needs to be a way for you to know your stats before you make your character. I'm not likely to become a warrior if my strength, agility, endurance are all low but my wisdom is high.

You might, if the only other job available to you was to be a Farmer.  I worked at a 7-11 for a year despite the fact that it wasn't a good fit for my personality and abilities, because that was the only job I could find at the time.  I didn't like it, in fact a loathed nearly every minute of it, but it was better than being on welfare.  

Today many people have a lot of choice in what kind of career they choose, but most of the time they don't.  You are usually stuck either doing what your parents did, or taking one of a few (usually unattractive) open career paths.  If your parents were farmers, your choice is to be a Farmer or go to the city join the military, become a prostitute, a crap-sweeper, or a criminal.  If your parents had some money and influence int he community they might be able to buy you an apprenticeship with a local craftsman, assuming that he didn't have enough children of his own to carry on the buisness.   There aren't many _good_ jobs that will take just anyone off the street.  Sure, in the game anybody can get almost any job, including a cushy position with a merchant house or as a noble's lacky, but realistically most characters don't have those opportunities.  Most merchant and noble house positions will naturally be filled by the children of current employees.  When your kid is old enough he becomes an apprentice or a page for your organization, almost automatically.  

It usually takes a special app or at least prior approval of the clan imm to claim that your parents work for a particular Clan, so most people don't bother.  The PCs in leadership positions are forced to hire some bozo off the street with no references and no experience, because that is usually the only kind of PC labor available, the OOC situation warps the IC situation.

When your stats are unsuited to your class, either the character had some reason to choose that career despite the fact that he is not naturally suited for it, he was forced onto that path by his childhood circumstances, or he finds another job that doesn't rely on codded skills.  There are plenty of jobs where skills aren't that important.  I've had characters make a good living as scavengers, hauling in findables and foragables, and selling them to city folk, the only skills I needed were "forage" and "ride" and everyone can get pretty good at those two.  As a lacky, servant or Advisor there are plenty of skills that are helpful but none that are essential.  Even jobs as a warrior usually depend more on your RP than on your coded abilities.  If you get hired by the Tor Scorpions, they will OOCly expect your skills to suck because all new character's skills suck.  After a few RL weeks they will figure out that you weak, sickly, and lead-footed, but if you are a good RPer they will probably keep you on anyway.  (I'm just guessing, I've never actually played in Tor, but most employers are more concerned with good roleplay than coded skills).  

Don't give up on that low strength, low endurance, low agility, high wisdom warrior too quickly.  As a new warrior he is going to suck more than most new warriors but pretty soon, probably within a few playtime days, his high wisdom will allow his skills to advance significantly faster than the low wisdom warriors' skills.   He may develop the skill of an average 10 day warrior in just 7 days, and once your skills get good they become more important than your stats.  There is always a playable angle.  The fact that he will never be able to use heavy armor and weapons is a permanent pain in the ass, but finding good quality feather-wieght equipment can provide a continuing goal for him.

But I still agree that it sucks when the stats screw up a cool character concept you spent hours working on.  If you want to play a certain kind of character a certain way, the fact that the character is still playable another way is cold comfort.  I once wanted to play a specific kind of hunter/crafter that could work in an area that involved a lot of climbing, so I chose the Assassin/armorcrafter combo.  At the time the description of the Armorcrafter subclass lead me to believe it included the skinning ability.  It didn't, and assassins don't get skinning either.  So I had a character that could move around my chosen terrain and kill my chosen prey, but couldn't skin to save her life.  Since she had no skins she wasn't able to do any leatherworking, and was stuck collecting plants and foraging for rocks to make a living.  So I know the pain of having a cool concept and getting let down by the code.   :P   I just can't think of a way to make stats more controlible that would be in the spirit of the game.

AC

Personally, I think a character's stats should disappear from the 'score' page.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

That would make little sense, as you should be inclined to know at least a little of how strong you are, how quick you are, ect, in comparison to other people.