Consent

Started by Red Bull gives you wings!, June 02, 2006, 06:17:41 AM

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"You think it's rude, then, for rape victims, or anyone otherwise OOCly disturbed by rape, to withhold consent (and force your character to change his actions) instead of changing themselves to deal with it?  

*scratch head*

And yes, Moe, I do.  It's quite rude to force me to change something I had planned and would be realistic for my character to do just because you don't like it.  When I'm allowed to have my guy fly because I had a traumatic walking experience, or be invincible because I once cut myself and thus have nightmares about being injured, I will say all's fair and not be bothered by it.

Well, the fact is that the staff has a rather firm stance on this issue, and they aren't going to budge.  I for one support them.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

I'd suggest you'd feel differently if you'd experienced rape yourself or knew someone who had, Gorilla J.

All I'm going to say is I'm glad that that mentality isn't shared by the people who made the consent rules.

Roleplaying comes first in this game, but I don't think it needs to come at the expense of personal feelings and trauma-inducing scenes on the players.
subdue thread
release thread pit

If you want to continue discussing about rape (again) I, personally, would suggest taking it to another new thread, or finding another of the thousand out there containing this same debate. The consent rule about rape was put in for a reason. It's a courtesy for people who are uncomfortable. Any further discussion I think should be taken elsewhere, as this thread will just be locked if it continues here I'm sure.

As for the automatic consent flag that was suggested by the OP, I see no reason for this. There are many reasons in here that express how I feel (could forget to turn it off, not know it exists, your friend might've turned it on as a prank etc.).

If it's not broken, don't fix it.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

QuoteI trust others to remain in character; forcing me to change due to your OOC preferences is not staying in-character.
Edit for clarity: Sometimes you have to break character.

QuoteIf someone doesn't give consent, then yes, I would act like the rape prelude didn't happen; and then I would move on to whatever was going to happen instead.

That's fine.  No one said that if a victim doesn't give consent to rape you have to let them go.  However, you essentially said in your original post on this thread that if someone did not give consent to rape you would

1) Be OOCly annoyed with them.
2) Take it out on them ICly as a result of that OOC annoyance.

Neither of those are healthy attitudes.  However, if your character's original plan was to leave the victim in an alley when finished, then do that.  If the plan was to kill them, then do that.  Don't get mad at the player for not wanting to play it out, though.

Quote from: "Jherlen"I'd suggest you'd feel differently if you'd experienced rape yourself or knew someone who had, Gorilla J.

All I'm going to say is I'm glad that that mentality isn't shared by the people who made the consent rules.

Roleplaying comes first in this game, but I don't think it needs to come at the expense of personal feelings and trauma-inducing scenes on the players.

Maybe not a rape, but a very close second when I was a wee lad.  I still feel this way.

This thread has left me feeling that we should simply outlaw IC rape all-together.  Clearly there is a vocal minority of the population who cannot cope with the nuaces of the rape rule as it has been presented and AS IT WILL REMAIN.

If you cannot accept the rape rule as it is and AS IT WILL REMAIN I emphatically suggest that you wander off to play another mud.  We do not need players who cannot abide by this rule.

Any further threads on the matter will probably be removed or monitored/censored heavily.  This one is locked.

-- X