Spice

Started by ale six, June 01, 2006, 03:34:16 AM

It'd be nice to know how many smokes are left on a pinch of spice, and how many pinches are left in a knot/thal-knot/brick. Could this be added to the assess command? Nothing is worse than finding a "brick" of spice, trying to shave it, and being told "that is too small to break up any further."

Yes please. Even if it's a relative thing.

There are many pinches left on this brick.
There are a few pinches left on this brick.
This brick is all but expended.
You might as well shove what's left of this brick into your pipe.

Also, when a brick is down to one pinch, it should become a pinch.

Though I don't necessarily agree that you should be able to tell how many puffs are left on a pinch. In theory, you shouldn't really be taking half-smoked pinches out of your pipe and saving them. It would be all ashy and bad and stuff.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

That would be sweet. People right now can easily get ripped by twinks who sell them bricks with only half left for full price.

THe intactness of a brick should be easily apparent.

Quote from: "Kalden"That would be sweet. People right now can easily get ripped by twinks who sell them bricks with only half left for full price.

THe intactness of a brick should be easily apparent.
Although not COMPLETELY exact. If I shave off a grain or two I should be able to get away with it.

Just use the food code we have in place already.

A partially eaten loaf of kalan bread.
A half eaten loaf of kalan bread.
A small portion of a loaf of kalan bread.

Just plop the adjusted messages into some bricks and knots.

There's no reason this should not be done, and any of number of reasons why it should be.

But it all depends on the todo lists of the coders.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "LauraMars"Just use the food code we have in place already.

A partially eaten loaf of kalan bread.
A half eaten loaf of kalan bread.
A small portion of a loaf of kalan bread.

Just plop the adjusted messages into some bricks and knots.

There's no reason this should not be done, and any of number of reasons why it should be.
Does kalan bread turn into "a partially eaten loaf of kalan bread" the second you taste it once?

QuoteAlthough not COMPLETELY exact. If I shave off a grain or two I should be able to get away with it.

You can't shave grains off of bricks. So no.

If you want to get tricky, take the maximum you can take off it it without changing it or the maximum you can take off of without changing it from "partially" (under the theoretical proposed change to the code), then sell it like that.

But really, jipping people when they don't have a good coded way to examine it closely is bad form. Experienced drug-dealers would most likely notice if you tried to short them.

Quote from: "John"Does kalan bread turn into "a partially eaten loaf of kalan bread" the second you taste it once?

I have no idea. It was just an example, so it doesn't matter.  Some foods do become partially eaten objects after being tasted, some foods don't.

I'd pick whichever is best for a brick with a pinch shaved off and adjust accordingly.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

It does. It's bitten.. The missing part is clearly visible.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Yeah, like LM said... sometimes when a large food object has enough "bites", taking just one bite doesn't change its sdesc.

Knots of spice really don't have as many 'bites' as those food items, in general.

Allowing for the examination of the knot or thal-knot to see if it whole or mostly gone?  I think this would be a good thing, but only if only given a general indicator.  ('with a few scrapes on it,' 'half gone' or 'over half gone.'  I don't want exact numbers.

I also REALLY like the 'if it can't be shaved down any further it should be a pinch too' idea.

Editted to fix stupid tired typos
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I've idea'd this in game before.  Thank you for bringing it up again, it would be very helpful to have anything like this added in.

This reminds me.  Can we get the coded "feeling" echo added to the echo using "taste" on spice treats?  It currently only works under "eat" I believe, but most users seem inclined to use "taste" since it is a confection.

I believe you get a message when both eating and tasting the spice treat, but it may not be the same message.

I'd like to see this added to bricks and such as well. But I also agree you should be able to skim the brick. Just like rl drug dealers will shave some off a bag of pot, or cut cocaine a little more then it should be to sell more of it. In fact, I would love to see Kuracis be able to cut spice. Add a little dried up fungus, who can tell? turn x pinches into 1 knot, where x is a number lower then normal that I won't mention.

Quote from: "ale six"I believe you get a message when both eating and tasting the spice treat, but it may not be the same message.

You get a message for both, but the message is different.

The 'eat' message is stronger than the 'taste' message for obvious reasons.

As both a buyer and seller of such goods, I do hope this problem is addressed.  While the 'assess' command is a possibility for getting a relative assessment of the knot/brick, it might be safer to apply the food approach or tag a message onto the end of the spice's mdesc after a 'look' to avoid abusive selling.

When dealing, I keep all my spice in stacks of pinches so I know how much I have left and buyers know how much they are getting.  The spent knots and bricks are then sold for the price of a pinch and buyers notified of the quantity.

Quote from: "Delirium"The 'eat' message is stronger than the 'taste' message for obvious reasons.

Except that, since both commands consume the same amount (ie one treat), they should probably return the same effect level echo echo. (even if they eat command does not return taste information)

I agree with ale six's proposal.  In fact I submitted it as an idea some years ago.  It's been a long while since I've tried, but I recall that if you assess a booklet of rolling papers, you get a return that tells you relatively how many papers are left.  It would be great if assessing a knot, thal-knot, or brick of spice would give a similar vague idea, as the previous posters have mentioned.
There is a tool for every task, and a task for every tool.
-Tywin Lannister, Lord of Casterly Rock, Shield of Lannisport and Warden of the West