Another pickpocket thread

Started by Majikal, May 13, 2006, 01:56:48 PM

I was thinking to possibly make a few wear locations unable to be stolen, at least while you're awake. I was just stolen from.. and they took my gloves in the middle of my crafting a javelin. And seriously.. I felt that was a little ridiculous. I know this topic has been beat to death but can anyone else think of some type of safeguard to prevent ridiculous thefts from happening? At least while you are awake.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

What? You had your equipped gloves stolen while you were awake? That is, and I'm quite sure about this, not possible.
b]YB <3[/b]

Use the Watch command.  If someone is blatantly abusing the code somehow, you can also wish up or take a log, get all the information you can about the PC doing the stealing, and email MUD.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I can see how its plausible someone stole your gloves too, if you were crafting something and you just set them aside. I.E. you might have tucked them in your belt, and then furiously set to polishing your javelin.

In the resulting concentration on the work, I can see how a thief could have a plausible opportunity to nick them from you.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: "Bogre"I can see how its plausible someone stole your gloves too, if you were crafting something and you just set them aside. I.E. you might have tucked them in your belt, and then furiously set to polishing your javelin.

In the resulting concentration on the work, I can see how a thief could have a plausible opportunity to nick them from you.

Yep, I agree there too. If you aren't wearing it and aren't paying special attention to it, I'd say that in most situations it's fair game to steal it. And if you're busy crafting something on top of that, I'd say it's just fine. I don't know exactly what happened in your situation, but unless you were staring fiercely at the thief or he was in the other end of the room (and had explicitly announced that he was) then I can't see the problem. You were craftnig and thus distracted.

The watch code is more than enough to protect yourself from thieves, and I personally think that watching someone while crafting is a bit dubious. Not saying that you did that, but just in general.
b]YB <3[/b]

If you were wearing them on your hands, they couldn't have been stolen. Anything in your inventory is considered 'about your person' and is easily stolen. Especially if you're crafting something and you put them in your inventory...

But if they have disappeared from your hands, it's either a magic trick or a bug.

Perhaps you accidentally crafted the gloves into the javelin.

You are carrying:
a pair of white gloves
a white bone spearhead
a long wooden pole

>craft white pole into javelin
You begin crafting...

You craft the gloves and the pole into a white-gloved javelin.

You think:
         D'oh, wrong keyword again!
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I assume the gloves weren't on you, if it's allowed to have your worn gloves stolen, your pants should be unsafe, too. So you either emoted putting them aside, on the table, or you tucked them into a pocket etc. Or it wouldn't be stolen at all.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I've always wondered how those pick pockets in New York manage to get your watch off your wrist or rings from your fingers without you noticing.

In all honesty, I think pick pockets in Zalanthas are probably really underpowered compared to some of the things I've seen or have heard of happening in real life. I don't think the average, sheltered player understand just how extreme a theft can be if undertaken by a master of his trade.

Go to France, wear a fancy, tight choker around your neck, and tell me it wont get stolen.

Gypsies are magical.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

I'm pretty sure that the reason worn items can't be stolen is for playability rather than realism.
b]YB <3[/b]

I know, and I'm glad about that. I'm just saying that people shouldn't get all bent out of shape if they lose something and think it is stolen.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

This would be an excellent place to insert the idea of watching items you have. How fun would that be if some elf is nicking everyone so the militia sends a fella undercover. Keeping an eye on his steel diamond crusted sword of smiting in his inventory so he can see if it decides to take a trip.

watch sword
you begin watching your steel diamond crusted sword.

You notice a tall figure in a dark hooded cloak try to steal your steel diamond crusted sword.

This also would make pickpockets start watching thier marks also to see if they have their eye on anything special.

All that being said I would love to see a little something for pickpockets. I hear there are ways to get around being watched but that seems to be a super ic secret how to get around code or some such. (which I compare to telling a newb born in allanak that it's ic where to get water and groceries)
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

It would be cool if, by "distracting" someone, you could manage to steal worn items...get that rich guy to watch your shady buddy and he won't be paying attention to you opening his pack from behind or slipping his bracelet off as you swing by.