Gone? An annoyance or security measure?

Started by Morgenes, May 12, 2006, 10:47:56 PM

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"What about if it is an unknown command, then it wont take off gone?

So if my cat pushes zxrgtfppppppppppppppppppp'''''''''''''''''''''' (enter)

Instead of the game telling you
"You are no longer gone."
"What?"

It will say
"What?"
"You are still gone."

I concur
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

I haven't played under this new gone, but It seems like a really cool change Morgenes.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

X-D if you can't control your cats, maybe you should eat them for dinner if they ever take you out of gone status? Eat one as an example and the rest will follow orders.

Frankly Gone changes don't seem big, I think the comment that started this thread from X-D totally overestimates the impact. Personally I just developed the habit of always typing "gone" when I returned to my computer, so the change doesn't mean anything for me.

Don't change the code, change the cats.

Every modern OS in existence has a means of locking your screen, I don't think this sort of security is something the MUD can or should be responsible for.

-- X

I like the new change, even though I'm way past the point where it effects me one way or the other.

But I still remember the first time I used the gone command and spent ten minutes typing "back" and "here" and this and that and trying to wish up for help and trying to use the in-game help commands until I finally remembered that the help files were on the Web site.

And I'm all for anything that gives newbies the hookup.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I love the new gone change. Lovelovelovelovelove it.

As a mother of three and a cat owner I have to say that I have never had the misfortune of coming back to a dead character because my kids hit the wrong button.  My kids aren't permitted near my computer when I am on it, plain and simple.  They have been trained to ask if they can use it or if I'm in the middle of using it.  Plus!  It's as easy as a closed door really, prevents all kinds of mishaps.  My cat doesn't jump across the keys because I've trained it and it only appears to want to do it when I am sitting at it in the middle of a typing frenzy and a sharp, warning "Nuh uh!" makes him get the "Shit I got caught! Let me shrink and cower so that maybe she doesn't notice!!" guilty as sin stance.

I like it, please don't change it, it would make me sad in my feelings place. :cry:

ShaLeah
-who still thinks the death of her first pc, which happened when she was gone and following her boss, was bullshit...  could we add that gone prevents other people from taking advantage of your defenseless character in some way?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I liked the old gone for one reason:

I used to have a keyboard into which someone had spilled a beverage. This meant that the num-pad keys (in zMUD) for 'east' and 'north' and 'up' would occasionally get stuck, making the client send a hundred east;east;east;east;east's, and I could go gone and avoid charging out into the distance.

Now I have a new keyboard so the change doesn't bother me, but I think there should be a way to purge commands the way you could with the old gone.
b]YB <3[/b]