Targetted emotes

Started by Seeker, April 19, 2006, 10:10:27 AM

I think the names should be switched. :wink:

semote is more like what the original proposed hemote was, a hidden emote.

hemote is the completely new idea, and seems to me it should be called semote, or "subtle emote".

Except the proverbial cat is out of the bag.  People are already using it and confused enough.  If we change it now, it'll be another long time before people understand it.

Now if you want, I can change hemote to something else, like 'femote' (for furtive emote), however, semote will stay as written and named.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Nah, it's not a big deal.  Just seemed odd to me.

Nah, I like it the way it is.  Semote is an emote you do while hidden, but fundamentally it is a silent action that wouldn't be noticed by people who can't see you.  Hemote is a very brief action that is hidden, even if you're in plain sight someone still might not notice that little motion to loosen the dagger in its sheath or the glance at the barmaid's chest.

As far as targeted emotes go, I'd love to see some version of it.  Little taps on the shoulder, nudges with the foot, and all of that would add a nice touch of flavor whenever it was used.

Honestly, silent emotes and hidden emotes are two concepts that are just terribly easy to get confused with.  Is it possible to use modifier thingies inside?

> emote walks along.
The man walks along.

> emote (subtle) winces as he puts his weight on his right foot with each step.
The man winces as he puts his weight on his right foot with each step. <- hemote

> hide
You hide.  Yeah.

> emote (hidden) Still limping, @ blends into the crowd and starts following ~noble at a careful distance.
Still limping, the man blends into the crowd and starts following the noble at a careful distance. <- semote

About targetted emotes, my reservations still stand.  I'm having a hard time seeing how it would really increase interaction in-game and not just make more people excluded.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I think you should change the name Silent Emote to Hidden emote. This would make it more streamlined. Since you are hiding, you should use an emote for hiding, right?
And change old hemote to Semote. It isn't very hidden if you can hear the noise from it. Right?
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"I think you should change the name Silent Emote to Hidden emote. This would make it more streamlined. Since you are hiding, you should use an emote for hiding, right?
And change old hemote to Semote. It isn't very hidden if you can hear the noise from it. Right?

The current semote is not just usable by those hiding.  It represents a silent emote.  It can be used to emote around blind people, if you're invisible, or otherwise unseen.  Standard emotes can be used to interact with mortally wounded and sleeping people

Like I said before, semote is what it is, period.  If I get a good suggestion for another name for hemote (other than semote) I will consider changing hemote.

(Edited to include information about other options for emotes)
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff