Half-elf not knowing he's a half-elf

Started by Manhattan, April 18, 2006, 04:41:41 AM

Quote from: "grog"And the fact that elves are taller is actually directly from Darksun. :)

Actually Tolkein kinda came up with the idea first.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: "Manhattan"
QuoteYou send this message to the staff:
    "Is my half-elf allowed to have round-ears?"

A staff member sends:
    "yes, there's nothing saying half-elves have to have pointed ears, the docs indicate they can pass for an elf or human"

I'm also gonna send an email. I really need this cleared up.

Well then the staff really needs to get on the same page, lol.  But I stand by what I said.  If a man has the build of a Norwegian, he has solid strength and is large. If a man looks Asian, he might be smaller and have more agility. :D  I'm thinking you could for sure have a half-elf that was made from a human race codely.  He would just be so subtly elven that it wouldn't make much of a difference to his stats.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

The staff position on this is that you can create a half-elf that could pass to casual scrutiny as either a human or elf.  However, it should always be apparent, either being a bit tall for a human, or short for an elf.  Slight tips to ears, or whatever.  If you want to play a human, play a human.  If you want to play an elf, play an elf.  Don't expect that just because you look human everyone will treat you as such.  Rumors will fly and people make assumptions about species/race all the time in RL.  Don't expect it to be any less here on Armageddon.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: "Morgenes"The staff position on this is that you can create a half-elf that could pass to casual scrutiny as either a human or elf.  However, it should always be apparent, either being a bit tall for a human, or short for an elf.  Slight tips to ears, or whatever.  If you want to play a human, play a human.  If you want to play an elf, play an elf.  Don't expect that just because you look human everyone will treat you as such.  Rumors will fly and people make assumptions about species/race all the time in RL.  Don't expect it to be any less here on Armageddon.

Agreeda.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Quote from: "Morgenes"
Quote from: "grog"And the fact that elves are taller is actually directly from Darksun. :)

Actually Tolkein kinda came up with the idea first.

Yeah, but I was just stating that despite the many changes from Darksun, the races have actually stayed fairly close.

(and Tolkein's elves were not thieves who refused to ride and were great at running)

Right now we're talking about this at the staff level, and I'll post something definite when we've thrashed out.

My personal rule has been, as always, "use common sense".  Don't write a half-elf that totally resembles a human, but add a touch of something to the description that lets the careful reader know that they might not be human.  

At the same time, I don't like having a lot of hard and fast rules like "every half-elf must have pointed ears" because a) it's another thing for reviewers to have to remember, and b) some will slip through and lead to complaints, bug reports, and lengthy GDB discussions.

We've had problems in the past with people creating humans in description but half-elf in race because there was a mistaken perception that half-elves have better stats, and I think some people are remembering that period, where we were trying to reinforce this for players when reviewing apps.  There were a lot of half-elves at the time whose backgrounds were...well, not those of half-elfs.

If you're going to run a half-elf that's trying to pass, that definitely needs to be part of roleplay: the conflicted identity, the fear of discovery, the envy of purebloods.

Quote from: "Morgenes"Rumors will fly and people make assumptions about species/race all the time in RL.  Don't expect it to be any less here on Armageddon.
On that note, if you make a human with almond eyes and slightly pointed ears, expect some people to think you're a half-elf. If you create a human with almond eyes and are fairly tall and skinny, expect people to think you're a half-elf. If you create a human with slightly pointed ears and are fairly skinny and tall, expect people to think you're a half-elf.

Mainly the almond eyes thing though, they're really popular, and not just among newbies.

Quote from: "Jherlen"Would a half-elf raised by humans, and always treated as a human, never knowing he was any different, still have the personality acceptance/independence issues that half-elves are known for? In other words, are those issues genetic, or just a result of the way half-elves are treated by society?

I listened to an NPR show recently about the following story... while I hesitate to draw parallels between a fantasy setting and a politically charged RL topic, I think it's somewhat appropriate to this.

Basically, there was this white girl who went to this integrated school right about the time that integration really happened.  She was a good little girl dated white guys, etc.  but decided that her parents weren't going to tell her how to live her life, so she decided to fool around with one of the black guys on the basketball team.

Her parents hear, scorn her, and tell her that everyone in their neighborhood thinks she's a N-lover... and lots of other unkind things.

Next thing you know, she's pregnant, and her steady boyfriend (the white one, who is unaware of this affair and who has also been sleeping with her) asks her to marry.  They marry after Thanksgiving... both of them are somewhat Italian... and the child is born with very dark skin and features.

The mother, of course, plays it off as Italian ancestry.. the father buys into it and tells himself this, too.  The son is told that genetics is a funny thing.  They have two more children together, both of them looking very much white.

So, the guy grows up, a dark skinned multi-racial kid who is convinced he's just a funny genetic quirk.  All his life.  Even until college.

The white kids call him "darkie" and all the negative things that racist white kids will say to a kid they think is black.  The black kids adopted him just fine, but when they saw his white family, or learned about his "white" habits, really wouldn't have anything to do with him.  He spends all his time growing up looking at relatives trying to find someone who looks like him.. some other genetic quirk to tie it together, and finds nothing.

Finally, in college, he confronts his mother about it, and she tells him the truth.  So he tracks down his biological father and immediately recognizes who he is.  His legs.. his posture.. his walk... his hair... And the father, while civil, really doesn't want anything to do with him inasfar as a father role is concerned.   He's not the marrying kind, considers himself a poor role model, doesn't want kids, the woman was just a fling in high school and he's over the white girl thing.

Is the biological father offended that his son was raised with a cross-cultural identity?  No.  Is the son offended that his mother never told him?  No.  Is the "stepfather" offended by the truth?  No.  He had accepted him as his own knowing the truth in his heart, but knowing how crushing it would be to the family's reputation not to shield the whole thing behind a story of genetics.

The multi-racial guy's take on it?  Being around a large number of African americans makes him feel "uncomfortable" and he doesn't feel like he fits in.  Being around white people who are usually typically racially insensitive makes him feel like a poster-child for some cause, or as a living lesson for ignorant people to learn from.

He's not really comfortable on either side.  And when asked what race he is?  He says "Italian."

QuoteMy opinion on this is the following (it doesn't represent, nessecarially,
the views of all staff, but I think its a good starting point):

1) If you're going to play a half-elf, you -can- "pass" for either human
or elf. However, under close scrutiny, your true race should be traceable.
This means I would put as many clues as possible in the mdesc - this
includes things like pointed ears (to some degree), almond shaped eyes of
strange color, fine hair, lankyness/skinnyness, etc. They don't have to
have -all- these features (and instead, human features can be placed in
place of them), but if you're just going to write up a human desc, and a
human sdesc, in my opinion...you may as well play a human.

In short, if someone couldn't figure out that you're a half-elf by reading
your mdesc, its a Bad Thing in my opinion. Its up to you if you feel you
should change your mdesc or not.

2) If he grew up with humans, passes for humans, and thinks he's human, he
should probably just be a 'human' imho. The half-elven personality comes
from the fact that he, in reality, would have grown up with people telling
him he's a bastard half-elf and not worth anything. Half elves are
constantly striving to be a part of 'the group', and always attempt to do
so by doing things independently (since they grew up without any friends).

If your character grew up 'as a human', then he obviously passes so well
for humans that they didn't even know he was a half-breed, and thus, is
actually probably just a human.

Half-elves don't usually pass for human because they just naturally "Do".
Half-elves pass for human (or elf) because they are trying to hide what
they really are: half-elves. All of this is because nobody likes
half-elves, and they are really trying to be accepted into the fold.

I hope that helps clear things up...at least from my perspective. That is
how -I- would run a half-elf...but again, other staff might have different
opinions.

-Tlaloc
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

I think that the half-elven personality problem is at least partially genetic.  It could be a neurochemical imbalance resulting from genetic incompatibilities between the races.

The half-elven personality isn't just upbringing.  If you are a half-elf you are messed up even if your mommy loved you.  You are messed up whether you were raised by humans, elves, or half-elves.  You are messed up regardless of whether you grew up in a huge multi-racial city, or a tiny single-race tribe.  And I think you are messed up  even if you don't know you are a half-elf.

Upbringing affects how that innate instability will manifest.  For example a half-elf from Allanak might become a ranger and spend a lot of time away from people, or she might turn to a life of crime and move down to the 'rinth, or she could end up working as a waitress in the Trader's Inn.  She is still a half-elf however she is raised and whatever she decides to do.

If a human tribe decided to take in an elven infant for some reason and never told the child that he was an elf, nor let the elf interact with outsiders or even see another elf for his entire childhood, that boy would still be an elf.  He would grow up with a fierce loyalty to his human tribe, he would be proud and arrogant, and he would still have an appreciation for theft and swindling.  Probably.  :)  Being raised as a human wouldn't turn an elf into a human, and it wouldn't turn a half-elf into a human.

Don't get too hung up on almond-shaped eyes, because that is a common eye shape in humans.
http://www.profaces.com/info/graphics/eye_almond.jpg
http://www.profaces.com/info/eye_tips.htm

Even pointy ears are not definitive.
Quote from: "Help Human"Aeons of life on Zalanthas has warped the human appearance enough so that physical anomalies are somewhat commonplace: webbed fingers or toes, hairlessness, pointed ears, long or short limbs, or skin tones in the faint blues or greys are all possible mutations upon the basic human form.

I think it is fair to suspect an almond-eyed, pointy-eared person of having elven blood, even if assess -v tells you that they are the same race as you, if your PC is the sort of person that is really suspicious of impure blood.  But don't assume OOCly that it is a mistake or that it definitely indicates elven heritage.  Almond eyes common in humans, and misshapen ears are a common mutation.  Heck, if you were stocky and happened to get both hairlessness and pointy ears as mutations people could suspect you of being a secret mul.

Also, beware of assess -v.  Assess can tell you that they are not the same race as you, but it does not tell you what race they are.  Not every human-looking nonhuman is a half-elf.  It could be a heavily mutated midget elf, a demon, a were-tembo, a dwarven sorcerer using a spell to pass for human, a dragon in human form, or something even less common.  I die often, and I once assessed a funny-looking PC as when I was playing a human and then again later when I was playing a half-elf, and she came up as not my race both times.  That was a head scratcher.  Neither a human nor a half-elf, but not obviously of any other known race either.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "davien"
I listened to an NPR show recently about the following story... while I hesitate to draw parallels between a fantasy setting and a politically charged RL topic, I think it's somewhat appropriate to this.

A most excellent post, Davien.

Quote from: "AC"
I think that the half-elven personality problem is at least partially genetic. It could be a neurochemical imbalance resulting from genetic incompatibilities between the races.

I wonder why you make this assumption?  Is it not enough to think the social pressure would tend to warp the half-elven personality?
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

After reading the Half-Elf roleplaying documentation, I came with these two conclusions:
1) It's just as impossible for a half-elf to naturally have no inner conflict as it is impossible for a dwarf to naturally grow hair.

2) The half-elven conflict is a genetic condition, probably due to a measure of incompatibility between elves and humans.  However, the way society treats a half-elf will intensify the conflict by pushing the half-elf away which winds it like a spring into wanting greater acceptance and greater independence.

Now, a half-elf doesn't have to know that he's a half-elf in order to suffer from his conflict - he'll still feel inadequate, under-appreciated, mocked and like a social outcast even if he isn't.  And a half-elf is very likely to push away whatever friends they might make (at least, all but the very closest friends such as in a military group).  The conflict would manifest itself more subtly and probably cause a great deal of confusion to the half-elf and a great deal of annoyance to anyone who won't realize what they are.
Half-elves are loners by nature, not only because of the way society treats them.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Angela Christine"I think that the half-elven personality problem is at least partially genetic.  It could be a neurochemical imbalance resulting from genetic incompatibilities between the races.

The half-elven personality isn't just upbringing.  If you are a half-elf you are messed up even if your mommy loved you.  You are messed up whether you were raised by humans, elves, or half-elves.  You are messed up regardless of whether you grew up in a huge multi-racial city, or a tiny single-race tribe.  And I think you are messed up  even if you don't know you are a half-elf.

Upbringing affects how that innate instability will manifest.  For example a half-elf from Allanak might become a ranger and spend a lot of time away from people, or she might turn to a life of crime and move down to the 'rinth, or she could end up working as a waitress in the Trader's Inn.  She is still a half-elf however she is raised and whatever she decides to do.

If a human tribe decided to take in an elven infant for some reason and never told the child that he was an elf, nor let the elf interact with outsiders or even see another elf for his entire childhood, that boy would still be an elf.  He would grow up with a fierce loyalty to his human tribe, he would be proud and arrogant, and he would still have an appreciation for theft and swindling.  Probably.  :)  Being raised as a human wouldn't turn an elf into a human, and it wouldn't turn a half-elf into a human.

Don't get too hung up on almond-shaped eyes, because that is a common eye shape in humans.
http://www.profaces.com/info/graphics/eye_almond.jpg
http://www.profaces.com/info/eye_tips.htm

Even pointy ears are not definitive.
Quote from: "Help Human"Aeons of life on Zalanthas has warped the human appearance enough so that physical anomalies are somewhat commonplace: webbed fingers or toes, hairlessness, pointed ears, long or short limbs, or skin tones in the faint blues or greys are all possible mutations upon the basic human form.

I think it is fair to suspect an almond-eyed, pointy-eared person of having elven blood, even if assess -v tells you that they are the same race as you, if your PC is the sort of person that is really suspicious of impure blood.  But don't assume OOCly that it is a mistake or that it definitely indicates elven heritage.  Almond eyes common in humans, and misshapen ears are a common mutation.  Heck, if you were stocky and happened to get both hairlessness and pointy ears as mutations people could suspect you of being a secret mul.

Also, beware of assess -v.  Assess can tell you that they are not the same race as you, but it does not tell you what race they are.  Not every human-looking nonhuman is a half-elf.  It could be a heavily mutated midget elf, a demon, a were-tembo, a dwarven sorcerer using a spell to pass for human, a dragon in human form, or something even less common.  I die often, and I once assessed a funny-looking PC as when I was playing a human and then again later when I was playing a half-elf, and she came up as not my race both times.  That was a head scratcher.  Neither a human nor a half-elf, but not obviously of any other known race either.

Angela Christine

I don't know if I agree completely. I think what the staff is saying is if I want to play someone mentally well adjusted I should chose not to play a half elf.  Even though your parents don't hate you the rest of the world will.

Quote from: "Larrath"After reading the Half-Elf roleplaying documentation, I came with these two conclusions:

2) The half-elven conflict is a genetic condition, probably due to a measure of incompatibility between elves and humans.  

How did you come to #2?  I don't see it.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

If the half elven conflict were not innate, then not all half-elves would have it.  A severely abusive and traumatic childhood can lead to emotional problems similar to those of every half-elf.  However, that does not explain every half-elf having those emotional problems.  

1.  Some half-elves will have a childhood no more traumatic than that of the average Zalanthan.  Not many perhaps, but a few.  Those few should be no more likely to develop emotional problems than the average Zalanthan, unless their emotional problems are innate.

2.  Some people with severely abusive and traumatic respond in ways other than developing emotional problems similar to those experienced by every half-elf.  Some will become drunks or drug addicts to forget, some will become abusers themselves, some will have a psychotic break,  and some will even
get over it and become normal people.  But every half-elf struggles with issues of acceptance and independence (to a far greater degree than the average human).  If it were not innate, some of them would respond to their bad childhoods in other ways.[/list]

The innate problem isn't necessarily genetic, physical or biochemical incompatibility between the races.  It could be the result of a muddy aura, bad blood, psionic dissonance, or sympathetic magic.  In a world where telepathy is universal, the collective subconscious could have more power.  Since many half-elves in the past have had emotional problems, and most people believe that half-elves have emotional problems, the collective subconscious imposes those problems on half-elven minds as some sort of psychic resonance.  It could be that a powerful being set a curse on all half-bloods that continues to this day.  

Half-elves, half-dwarves and half-giants all have mental/emotional problems, though these problems manifest differently in each race.  There are no known hybrids that consistently produce normal, well-adjusted people.  That looks like a good indication that while in inter-racial breeding is possible it is not a good idea.  There is something deeply wrong with half-bloods.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "[url=http://www.armageddon.org/rp/racial/halfelfconflict.htmlThe Half-Elven Conflict[/url]"]Every race except for humans has some guidelines or traits which must be included in how they are roleplayed. For half-elves, there is one thing: the conflict between the need for acceptance and the need for independence.

All half-elves have a strong need for acceptance, born of their upbringing.

All half-elves are individuals and have their upbringing and personalities affecting things as well. But you should be aware of this conflict and work it into your character somehow.

To make things worse, most half-elves have little or no support from their parents. They are typically the result of violence - whether it be rape, or prejudice upon those that care for them. All of this, combined with a genetic predisposition, makes half-elves desperately strive for acceptance and identity - particularly from humans and elves. Half-elves are also obsessed with independence. Perhaps this is a reaction against the lack of acceptance they get from society, or perhaps it is simply the nature of half-elves; but they tend to go to any lengths to do everything for themselves.

The document claims a bit of both, but the speculations that a half-elf's nature is what causes their conflict means, to me, that a half-elf would suffer from their conflict even if their childhood was full of flowers and hugs.

Finally, the bit above says all half-elves and that's that.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "moab"Not sure why you believe its a genetic instability?
Born of mixed elvish and human parentage, half-elves share many of the traits of both races. Tall, between 72 and 78 inches in height, and possessed of deeply etched features, half-elves resemble their elven parents. On the other hand, half-elves are bulkier and somewhat more durable than elves, and so resemble their human parents. Regardless of these attributes, however, half-elves can virtually always pass for either humans or elves, and share the skin tones and hair-and-eye colours of both parents.

A half-elf is an even mixture of elvish and human abilities: they are stronger than elves but less so than humans; possess more endurance than elves (except for the elvish ability to run), but less than humans; inherit elvish wisdom and agility, but not to the extent which elves have these things. Half-elves do not gain the elven ability to run over long distances.

Roleplaying: Accepted by neither humans nor elves, half-elves tend to be extremely self-reliant, and they pride themselves on this trait. Half-elves try to do everything for themselves, such as hunting for their own meals and camping well apart from others they are with. Despite this, half-elves typically try to gain acceptance by elves or humans and will go out of their way toward that end.

Maybe its easier for you to wrap your head around something like a "crazy person" but the truth is neither humans nor elves have a general genetic  traits of (hates this word) "bipolarism" or, more accurately, a codependent, needy and or anti-social behaviors.

From What I read the documents describe half-elves as First being unaccepted and unloved.  This one statement can and often will in RL lead to behaviors that we could attribute to a half-elf personality as described in these documents.  Therefore, by applying Occam's razor, we can throw away our assumption about genetics.  We don't know (staff has not said yet) and what we do know (the typical half-elf environment) is enough to create the behavior patterns we see in half-elves.

What makes me saddest, I think, is that when we start talking about "genetic" personality traits when discussing humanoids, we are letting ourselves get lazy.  We cheapen the game.  It becomes the worst of all D&D games.  Kill the orcs!  Why?  'cause their Orcs!  All Orcs are bad  (and rest assured the DM plays all Orcs as bad because _they are_.

I, personally, don't like such games.  I want grey. I want good Orcs, bad Orcs. I don't want heroes. I want real people.  I don't want half-elves running around feeling they must be unstable because "that's their personality - all half-elves are unstable."

I think the staff supports this idea - otherwise the documents regarding half-elves would support this bizarre idea that a few vocal players have brought up.  

There is nothing in the documents to support the idea that half-elves are genetically wired to be mentally unstable.

The problem of half-elves is far deeper than "mental problems." Their problem is on of society and that is what makes Armageddon great.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

The dwarven focus is far more limiting to a character than a half-elf's conflict.
Does the focus cheapen the game, or does it make it richer?

Forget any Dark Sun roots about this - is the focus good or bad?  This is simply the way it is, and each half-elf is allowed to have his own different variation of the conflict.  Nothing in the documents says that a half-elf has to be good, evil or neutral, nor does it say that they are all the same.  They virtually all go through the hardships of racism, violence and the general lack of love, but that's all.
This does not mean they're all the same people.

According to the game documentation, ALL half-elves (even the odd few who had loving parents and a sheltered upbringing) have the conflict.  This means it's also inherent, just like the mimicry is inherent in half-giants.  I believe that this answers the question asked in this thread.

Quote from: "Larrath"The document claims a bit of both, but the speculations that a half-elf's nature is what causes their conflict means, to me, that a half-elf would suffer from their conflict even if their childhood was full of flowers and hugs.

Finally, the bit above says all half-elves and that's that.

Hey, I never saw that document before.  I stand corrected.  I don't like it, but there it is.

Thx  :-D

Quote from: "moab"And please be careful about using the term "bi-polar" to describe half-elf psychology.  I know it's a really popular term these days, but it does not describe half-elf psychology.
I know this and was trying to be succint.  It's a fairly close approximation to their want/hate for acceptance and all I meant by my comment.

On the note of genetic VS societal pressures, the documentation says all, so I'd go with heredity here.  As has been suggested, some chemical imbalance resulting from the two heritages causing the one suffering from this imbalance to feel apart from both.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I disagree with some of the notes in the docs, because I feel they are throwbacks to a time when Arm was still trying to make RP the norm rather than the 'sometimes fun thing that happens'.

By blaming various things on genetic predisposition, it's easier to debate the point with people who want to play 'something different' and get them to conform with role play norms.

However, realistically, whether or not this is ICly considered to be a genetic issue, relying solely on the genetic issues as a basis for this type of conflict is... well... cheap.

There are plenty - plenty - of opportunities and situations in character that can contribute to this and give your character a lot more depth than just a 'genetic quirk'.

Half elves are hard.  I don't play them -because- they're hard.  Dwarves are hard, too.  But elves?  I love me some elves.  Half-giants?  They're damn funny.  muls?  They're not -quite- as hard as half-elves, but they're close.  Now Mantis... mantis are hard to get in their heads, if not in their bellies.

I haven't followed this thread completely but I like the idea that it's a genetic trait.  I feel people should still have a wide liberty to portray it but it makes more sense to me.

Half-elves naturally have mental issues because of unstable bloodlines.
Muls natutally have anger management issues because of unstable bloodlines.
Mantis are naturally predatory pack hunters.
Dwarves are naturally intent upon a focus.
Elves are naturally thieves, in one way or another.

I think these all have genetic bases and that cultural influenced confirm and support them.  But does it really matter if its nature or nurture?  Nope.

Quote from: "SpyGuy"I haven't followed this thread completely but I like the idea that it's a genetic trait.  I feel people should still have a wide liberty to portray it but it makes more sense to me.

Half-elves naturally have mental issues because of unstable bloodlines.
Muls natutally have anger management issues because of unstable bloodlines.
Mantis are naturally predatory pack hunters.
Dwarves are naturally intent upon a focus.
Elves are naturally thieves, in one way or another.

I think these all have genetic bases and that cultural influenced confirm and support them.  But does it really matter if its nature or nurture?  Nope.

Actually, I disagree.  psychoses or neuroses that are played within a vacuum of "genetic predisposition" are often badly done, whereas those with a nurture explanation tend to be better played.

For example, which do you feel is more enjoyable to see:  

A mul with an inexplicable chip on his shoulder that Just Is, or
A mul with a chip on his shoulder because of a detailed past filled with X, Y, and Z?

Quote from: "davien"Actually, I disagree.  psychoses or neuroses that are played within a vacuum of "genetic predisposition" are often badly done, whereas those with a nurture explanation tend to be better played.

For example, which do you feel is more enjoyable to see:  

A mul with an inexplicable chip on his shoulder that Just Is, or
A mul with a chip on his shoulder because of a detailed past filled with X, Y, and Z?

Dude, no one said it had to be just one or the other. Nothig wrong with genetic predisposition. It's just one of the many building blocks.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Having an innate predisposition to emotional instability doesn't mean that environment has no effect.  The individual will still have had experiences that shaped his potential into whatever form it eventually takes.  

I'm not good with ASCII art, so help me out here.  Draw a big circle on a piece of  paper, this circle is the whole of humanoid potential (all of the traits of Einstein, Tektolnes, Grog the half-giant barber, your mom, you, and everyone you can think of fall within this circle).  

Ok, now entirely contained within the first circle, draw a big blobby shape that occupies 80% of the first circle.  This represents the whole of half-elf potential.  There are some areas of humanoid potential half-elves can not achieve, for example the size of a half-giant or perfect mental health.  (Any other race, including humans, would also occupy a blobby shape within the big circle, just not exactly the same blobby shape as half elves).

At a random spot within the blobby shape, draw a red dot.  This red dot represents an inner conflict between the desire for acceptance and the desire for independence.  All half elves will have the red dot, but so will many humans and other humanoids.

Got it?  Right, now for any particular half-elf, draw a star-fish or octopus-like shape that is both contained entirely within the bloby shape, and also contains the black dot.  This is that particular half-elves personal potential.  Everything that individual could become is contained within that shape.  In most cases it will contain the potential to learn to read, but that potential will never come to fruition, because of environmental factors.  It will not contain the ability to psionicist, because only humans have the physical/mental/psychic/genetic potential to become psionicists.  So the starfish within blob inside the circle is the entirety that particular half-elf's potential, at birth.

So far this has all been innate potential, genetics if that is how you want to look at, but now we get to the bit where environment shapes that potential.  Start colouring in the shape at random, to show the parts of his potential that his environment causes him to express.  At the same time, black out areas of the shape that his environment cause to become impossible to express.  For example, go ahead and black out the speck that indicates learning the German language -- he is born with the physical ability to learn German, but in his environment it just isn't going to come up.  By the time he reaches adulthood, probably 20% of his starfish should be coloured in as "expressed potential" and 20% of his starfish should be blacked out as "lost potential."  The areas within the starfish that are neither coloured nor blacked out are potential that he has not yet expressed but that he may still express in the future, the wiggle room, the uncertainty.

(Don't get me wrong, this is just a metaphor.  You couldn't really draw the entirety of human potential or even a single individual's potential on a piece of paper, because it is practically infinite.  It is probably also at least 3D).

I think there is probably a positive feedback loop involved with half-elves.  His negative social experiences tend to reinforce his innate mental instability, and his innate mental instability make negative social experiences more likely to occur.  It is like a person who feels alienated from the mainstream so they adopt an uncommon or shocking appearance and habits (suffragette, hippie, punk, goth, glam, flock-of-seagulls hairstyle, one glove, etc.) and because they now look odd, mainstream society treats them freaks, which causes them to feel even more alienated, so they do more outlandish things, which push them farther from the mainstream, and so on.

The half-elf has some urges or feelings that something is not right.  Sooner or later he will have experiences that re-enforce that feeling (it could be pure-blooded kids teasing him for being an obvious half-breed, his mom beating him with a stick, or something much more subtle).  Because he is a half-elf (whether he knows it or not) he will latch onto these experiences, he will take them to heart where another person might brush them off.  To some extent a struggle between belonging to a group and being an independent individual is something most people experience as adolescents, the difference in a half-elf is that this conflict can never be resolved.  He can't grow out of it, or get over it, or forget about it.  Whatever he does it will haunt him to the end of his days.

That doesn't mean that he can't grow and change, just that the conflict will still be there, growing and adapting along with him.  The conflict can be expressed differently between individuals, and differently within a single individual at different stages of his life, so it isn't a straight jacket for roleplay.  If he gets into a situation where he appears to be accepted he might be hypervigilent living in constant fear that someone is going to reject him, or since he is accepted and doesn't have to prove himself he might get lazy and sloppy as a passive rebellion, or he could simply feel smothered and leave.  The thing is that the half-elf's behavior, his outward expression of his inner struggle, actually makes it far more likely that he will be rejected.  He doesn't quite fit in, not because he is tall and thin, but because he is a bit of a weirdo some of the time.  He is sending out signals that there is something not quite right.  

It doesn't really matter whether anyone (including the half-elf himself) knows that he is a half-elf.  If he doesn't know that he is a half-elf, he will invent another explanation for his experiences. He can never be completely free of his nature.  He can never be totally at peace.  

Angela Christine