the most basic question in the world.

Started by Antigone, April 08, 2006, 08:51:36 PM

How do you go about learning to code for muds? Are there tutorials/lessons you can download?

Download a code base and start mucking with it.  That's how most people leran.  There are many sites out there that host mud source code, just find one and play with it.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Check out the CircleMUD code base (www.circlemud.org).  It's a nice  cleanup of Diku, written in C, and, as such things go, pretty easy to work with.

On the other hand, if the Circle code confuses the heck out of you, start with some smaller projects...write software to control a nuclear power plant or something. ;-)

I did some neat stuff not knowing a damned thing about programming.
Like, the first thing I did was play around with strings, so instead of it
saying "X is surrounded with a white aura." instead "X is surrounded by
some cool vibes." That is probably the easiest thing to do. Then I learned
various functions in there like the one that sends messages to different
folks and made some adjustments, I made some spells, went into the
code for 'look' to make adjustments to what sort of description shows.
Tons of stuff, its like working from the smallest leaves until you eventually
get to the trunk, the meaty stuff. Kinda fun, but of course time consuming.

Yeah, get a code base and screw with it. Of course, I know virtually nothing
about memory allocation type functions or lots of stuff, just the frilly stuff,
but thats because I stopped at a certain point. Good luck.

I'd start by looking at some resources availible out there on the net.  One example is http://www.mudconnect.com/resources/Mud_Resources.html.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

All of my friends were on drugs when they learned to code.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

1) Get a linux box
2) Get mysql
3) Download the SOI code base
3.5) Get a book like intro to C programming.
4) Figure out what GCC is.
5) Go nuts and dig in.

It's not rocket science, but there are a lot of moving parts. If you tackle stuff in that order, you'll be a wiz in no time.

Edit: I reccomend SOI because it's pretty close to Arm, open source and has a RPI community around it that you can probably tap for help. However, any code will do as long as you are willing to wade through it. Programming is like 30% creativity, 30% problem solving and 40% patience.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: "FightClub"All of my friends were on drugs when they learned to code.

Drugs help.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Trying to code your on MUD seems like a cool idea now (in fact it is something many of the players here have tried to do already, I'm sure), but unless your going into it with a team or with uncanny dedication, you'll never make it out alive.   :twisted:   Armageddon is the best MUD, so there's no point anyway.  :D   Go to the Diku MUD homepage.  They have a really fun and funny tutorial there.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Try looking for websites and discussion boards. They can always be of some help.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.