The Feel Command

Started by Larrath, April 04, 2006, 04:01:52 PM

Ohhh! That feel.

Shizzle I've been using that all wrong, but I like it!

I've been using it to emphazise visuals or whatever i might think that can't be put in the text of the think...like.

think (the temple of braxat hides filtering into a vivid image within his thoughts)  Har har, mudsex!
but yeah feeling the temple of braxat hides filtering into a vidid image within his thoughts doesn't sound right.

of i've been using it like this!

think (rage building, as thoughts of his mother dying filter in slowly) Damn neckers are sexy.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I've really been getting into feel a lot more lately.  I use it for a lot of things that impinge on my characters consciousness, without fully forming into thoughts. Not necissarily emotions. For example:

feel deeply and fully alive as you enjoy the early morning sun upon your face.
think Finially, a clear day.

feel the swish and draw of your new fancy-pants binding across the crotch.
think That shit-eating excuse for a merchant ripped me off! He promised me a PERFECT fit!

I also find it vastly applicable in the use of the way.

feel yourself projecting a part of your consciousness outward.
pmote enormous breasts rise and fall lushously as her breathing deepens.

I was under the impression that we were not supposed to use feel in the following matter:

> feel pain as his silk pants rub his crotch the wrong way.

Am I wrong in this?  I'd used it in such a way...but haven't been since the last discussion of the 'feel' command where Naiona posted something about this...and while it wasn't a prohibition, it seemed a strong suggestion.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Maybe I'm doing it all wrong. Is feel an emotion only thing? That would be a shame.

The last time this came up, some members of staff confirmed that the command was originally implemented for feeling emotions (happy, sad, angry). However, I don't think it's terribly taboo to also use it for physical sensations (pain, dizziness, fatigue). The one thing I gathered they don't want us to do is misuse 'feel' as a silent emote command.

Quote from: "Hymwen"- Are we expected to use feel the same way we're expected to use think? I've heard of people getting commented for never using the think command. Is it the same way with feel?
I say to those of you who only use think once every two months... you too can be a seven-karma player!
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "HaiWolfe"The last time this came up, some members of staff confirmed that the command was originally implemented for feeling emotions (happy, sad, angry). However, I don't think it's terribly taboo to also use it for physical sensations (pain, dizziness, fatigue). The one thing I gathered they don't want us to do is misuse 'feel' as a silent emote command.

What HaiWolfe said.

It's intention is emotions only.  Will you get in all sorts of trouble for being more liberal with its use, and doing things like feel the swish of his pants?  Nah.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Oooh, Oooh, I just had an idea.  A rule of thumb:

Use feel for things Counsellor Troi would sense.

For non-trek-watchers: things that an empath could pick up, rather than things that a telepath could pick up.  Is there an empathy skill?  Who knows?  The existance of coded feelings would make empathy a logical next step, but since I don't have Level 8 karma I may never know.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins