Tribal Accented Sirihish

Started by Bebop, April 02, 2006, 03:23:26 AM

Well bebop. You are always sacrificing one thing for another thing. I would love more combinations of skills to make subguilds, which may be very hard to balance. They just don't look to have been updated in a while. It is a lot easier now though, to get a new accent.

Just go here.
http://www.armageddon.org/login.php?returnURL=/request/index.php
Character Related Request-> Skill Change-> Details
I made a tribal Pc, but I sacrificed the nomad subclass for one that makes more sense with my Pc. Can I have the tribal accent added to my skills?
Thank you.->
Review your request-> Submit request->
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Bebop"

What I'm saying is, what if you have a nomadic warrior, how are they going to hunt for themselves?  They can't pick a subguild that has skin.  

Be a ranger?   :D

I get what you are saying, and it does suck.  It wouldn't bother me nearly as much if it also affect elves, but a tribal human having to use a subguild slot for their heritage while tribal elves get it for free just isn't fair.

Maybe there should be a new race:  desert humans?  

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Desert elves don't get tribal accents for free. Desert elves are fucked with in every city. Where as tribal humans are treated like gods.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Desert elves are treated like shit not because they don't have the tribal accent...they're treated like shit because they are elves.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I'm not sure I agree that tribal-accented humans somehow have it easier, or that if they do, this is unfair.  

If you have a tribal accent, you most likely can't get work with any noble house, but you might be able to get work with a merchant house...exactly the same treatment as if you had the 'wrong' accent for that city.

If you have a tribal accent, you probably won't get shunned or harassed in bars and other gathering spots, but...most tribes are neutral when it comes to city-states, so that makes sense.  Sure, southerners are suspicious of people who come from Luir's, but southerners aren't known for being very nice anyway. :)

Personally, my gripe with people who choose the tribal accent is when they spend 80-100% of their time in cities.  Tribal culture is vastly different from city culture.  True tribal peoples should feel uncomfortable staying within a city's walls for too long.  Sure, they come to visit, trade, make contacts, get laid, etc. but then they should leave again.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

BTW Just so we're clear I'm not even saying get rid of the nomad sub-class, this is just an idea for people who are in Luir's who really don't belong to one of the two major city states.  That way they won't have to sacrifice a sub-guild just to play their character that way.  Nomad sub-class can still be there for those that speak perfect bendune and want those other skills that I'm not going to disclose.

And like Vanth said having a tribal accent isn't a free ticket to nuetality exactly because there are a lot of noble Houses that won't hire you if you are not full blood from their city state, which I find reasonable.  I don't think it's a huge sacrifice or change to the game.  Just another option, and I don't know about you guys, but I like options.

Just an option for people who come from Luir's, and if you walk around the market place in Luir's you are mostly going to find tribals there.  You are going to find them in the bar, you're going to find them all over Luirs.  And even in some docs it states that many some tribes have had some of their people withdraw into Luirs.

Just an option that I personally would like to see implemented.  I definitely think it has it's uses.

And thanks UnderSeven, I agree that some of the comments in here were a little heated, considering this is just a friendly idea.

As far as picking a ranger as a nomad so that they can be adept in the wild that is once again kind of pushing people who simply want to sound tribal into a class.   I don't want to go over the exact skills a nomad has, but let me post this from the docs:

Nomads, usually originating in the tablelands around Luir's Outpost, speak their own native tongue, Bendune, and are adept at shrewd bartering in the desert markets. If you are playing a character with a nomadic background, you must pick this subclass.

So yeah, that is basically making some one who wants to play a kid from Luir's that grew up speaking to the tribals that bed there into picking cliche stuff like spear making and unable to play something that would be more of use to their character.  You could opt simply for the accent and not be forced into the others skills of the Nomad class, you won't start out perfect with bendune if at all, and you won't have the nomad skills.  But I think it's perfectly legitimate that people from Luir's have the option for a tribal accent without having to be forced into the cliche skills of a nomad, instead of something more suiting to their character.  

Nomads, usually originating in the tablelands around Luir's Outpost

Anyway, it's not something you would FORCED to use.  Like the Nomad sub guild currently forces tribal characters (people that simply aren't raised in one of the large city states) to choose a sub-guild that might not have skills suiting to their character just because they need the accent.

I think Luir's Folks Should have an accent regarded as central, so, Central Sirihish, etc.

As is noted elsewhere in documentation, Luir's is at the center of the world. Central is center.

Venomz - having connection problems...

One thing you have to realize about Luirs.. is that it really isn't a population center. It's an outpost. A trading post. People pass through, use it as a waypoint, pause to trade. I don't think very many people actually -live- there beyond the Kurac. You'll notice there is no provided housing. And the only people who are born there are likely children of Kuraci. So it would likely fall into the "hodgepodge" catagory.

Nomads...speak their native tongue Bendune...

which is -why- they speak sirihish with a tribal accent. So if you don't speak Bendune, you wouldn't normally have that accent when you speak sirihish.

It seems more like a misnomer, that it's called "tribal" when not all tribes speak Bendune. But a "bendune accent" sounds silly, just like "allundean-accented sirihish" sounds silly. If -all- tribes have the same accent, it would make sense for all tribals to have one "accented sirihish." But they don't, so it doesn't. So - that brings you back to square 1: If Bendune is your character's main language, you'll get the accent. Pretend that "tribal" is another way of saying "Bendune" and the problem will be solved.

Quote from: "facehugger"One thing you have to realize about Luirs.. is that it really isn't a population center. It's an outpost. A trading post. People pass through, use it as a waypoint, pause to trade. I don't think very many people actually -live- there beyond the Kurac. You'll notice there is no provided housing. And the only people who are born there are likely children of Kuraci. So it would likely fall into the "hodgepodge" catagory.

Some people live there, because you can get citizenship in the outpost if your character wishes to have it. Those big tents and buildings set up in the marketyard are not there for nothing - I think most of the merchants use them for shelter as well as their shop. I do recall seeing some lean-tos and other makeshift shelters outside the gates of Luris, and I think they are for those who can not afford to spend the night in the tavern or live on the inside of the gates.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Yokunama"
Quote from: "facehugger"One thing you have to realize about Luirs.. is that it really isn't a population center. It's an outpost. A trading post. People pass through, use it as a waypoint, pause to trade. I don't think very many people actually -live- there beyond the Kurac. You'll notice there is no provided housing. And the only people who are born there are likely children of Kuraci. So it would likely fall into the "hodgepodge" catagory.

Some people live there, because you can get citizenship in the outpost if your character wishes to have it. Those big tents and buildings set up in the marketyard are not there for nothing - I think most of the merchants use them for shelter as well as their shop. I do recall seeing some lean-tos and other makeshift shelters outside the gates of Luris, and I think they are for those who can not afford to spend the night in the tavern or live on the inside of the gates.

That's why I said "not very many" not "not any". Certainly some people live there. Probably more for week/year periods than lifetime periods, I'd wager. Regardless, the majority of the people in/moving through Luirs are not there to stay. When you have a constant mix of accents, there's really no room for a unique "Luirs" accent to develop.

Quote from: "facehugger"
Quote from: "Yokunama"

That's why I said "not very many" not "not any". Certainly some people live there. Probably more for week/year periods than lifetime periods, I'd wager. Regardless, the majority of the people in/moving through Luirs are not there to stay. When you have a constant mix of accents, there's really no room for a unique "Luirs" accent to develop.

You also have the gemmers lurking about, upsetting and scaring off the northern merchants and anti-magicker tribals. :wink:

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Just because there are not coded apartments doesn't mean that people don't live there.  It just means PCs don't have a place other then the tents which there are quiet a few of and the taverns.  In the docs it even says that some tribals have moved from the tablelands because of attacks and live there now.

Quote from: "facehugger"You'll notice there is no provided housing.

Wrong.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

There is highly visible housing in the Outpost, to a certian degree. Any recent visit to the Outpost would enlighten those who are not in the know. Keep in mind, however, that Kurac is not Nenyuk.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870