Naming Conventions

Started by Falconer, March 25, 2006, 07:24:43 PM

I did a search through several past threads, but couldn't find anything substantial on the topic of naming conventions for characters.  Is there any canon - either documented or merely in the eyes of players and staff - regarding names on Zalanthas?  I'd be particularly interested in seeing the distinctions between races, castes, and geographies (does a Tuluki mul slave have a different plethora of suggested names than an Allanaki human noble or a tribal elf?)

Any input from players or staff would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Slaves are generally given names by their trainers, including many captured slaves.  In spite of this fact (which basically means nobles and templars give many slaves their names), most slaves tend to have simple names.  This is particularly true for muls.
"Yuaro" is probably as complex as a mul's name will get.

Half-giants usually have very simple names, presumably so they don't forget what they are or simply due to a lack of inventing skills.

Elves are intelligent and generally smooth talkers, but I think I speak for many when I say I don't want to see 'Elven' names spanning two dozen syllables.  Sometimes an elf will have a second name for use outside of his tribe - the second name tends to be either a nickname, a shorter version of the true name, or some household item.

Humans' names vary greatly on their social status.  As a rule, very simple names hint at a low-level breeding, so you're not going to run into any Jojo Borsails or Jay Kadius.  Noble and templar names can sometimes involve phonetic exercise (ie Aeashavenir) while Merchant names tend to be a little simpler.  Nobles and Templars also seem to collect hard-to-remember middle names, and apparently the more middle names a noble has, the larger their genitalia is. :P
'Rinthi humans also seem to follow the elven convention of having an outside name, though since humans aren't tribal they probably won't share their true names at all.

Tribal humans usually have their own conventions for naming, I imagine, and they seem to have somewhat more complex names than most commoners.

Half-elves will, naturally, vary.  Most of them are used to being called a whole assortment of names, though, ranging from 'you stupid fucking breed' to 'you stupid ugly fucking breed piece of shit'.

I like Oriental-sounding names (Arabian, not Japanese) much more than Greek.  Names ending with K or T sounds are awesome, and so is a liberal use of the KH sound most of you people can't make.

Finally, I leave you with the golden rule: when in doubt, call them Amos.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Larrath"

Humans' names vary greatly on their social status.  As a rule, very simple names hint at a low-level breeding, so you're not going to run into any Jojo Borsails or Jay Kadius.  Noble and templar names can sometimes involve phonetic exercise (ie Aeashavenir) while Merchant names tend to be a little simpler.  Nobles and Templars also seem to collect hard-to-remember middle names, and apparently the more middle names a noble has, the larger their genitalia is. :P
'Rinthi humans also seem to follow the elven convention of having an outside name, though since humans aren't tribal they probably won't share their true names at all.

I agree that working class commoners tend to have simple names.  But sometimes low-class characters go for slightly absurd ornate names, what I like to call "princess names".  I think some people call them ghetto names.  One of my mom's friends (welfare mom with two kids (and two daddys) named her daughter Armani.  Yes, like the clothes.  It could have been worse, she was thinking of giving the poor girl a car name . . . Ferarri, I think.   :roll:   Names that a low-class person thinks sound classy or beautiful, but that may come off as merely odd or pretentious.  So I wouldn't bat an eye at a 'rinther with a wierd name like Lacharista or something.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

To my knowledge, there is no documented character nomenclature canon with possible exceptions being the nobility and the Tan Muark. However, I frequently employ capricious randomness, personal preference, and historical names with alternative spellings.

I believe that the staff allows quite a bit of freedom with naming characters so long as the names remain within the Zalanthan theme. Describing this theme is no easy task, especially to new players. However, it appears to me that people interested in playing a fantasy text-based computer game intuitively grasp naming characters.

When making your character, I recommend adding several nicknames and aliases in advance. Once you've made them, be sure you write them down somewhere. This way you enter the game with a false name to give the templarate during questioning.

Warmest regards,

-Williamson
"Let sleeping characters sleep naked." -Azroen

I tend to stick to very simple one syllable names or Arabic sounding names.  Occasionally my criminal types who might have grown up in gangs and tribal gangs take on the name of a noun (The Hand, Mek, The Black Scrab, exc).  That said, there really are no naming conventions.  Pretty much anything goes.  The best I can say is that in Allanak the name "Amos" has through player action been come to known as a common Allanaki name.  I recall at one time there were at least three Amos playing at once.

One thing that I have never seen but I think might be interesting, is if people named themselves after dead famous players.  I could see a mercenary naming his son Sujaal, a northern dwarf naming his son Thrain, or a southern merchant or aid naming his daughter Pearl.

I am curious if commoners would name their children after famous nobles and Templars.  Would it be considered an insult for a commoner to take on a famous hero noble or Templar's name, or a way of showing respect and honor?

I have put honest consideration in naming one of my future characters something like, Beth.  I don't see too many 'normal' names, and I have yet to give one my PCs one... I normally randomly assemble vowels and consonants until I find one that is pronouncable and gives off a particular 'tone' befitting the class and personality.

Much like I randomly choose a color and then build a PC around said color. :P

The best name generator I've found. I've used it since someone showed it to me, and you wouldn't know my generated PC names from my original ones.

Enjoy!

http://rinkworks.com/namegen/

Proxie
For those who knew him, my husband Jay, known as Becklee from time to time on Arm, died August 17th, 2008, from complications of muscular dystrophy.

Though not enforced in any way, I believe a popular naming convetion for southern Nobility draws on Greco-Roman styles.  In my experience, House Borsail has exemplified this the most.

Both human and elven tribes often have a syntax for names which often give reference to a tribal's mother, father, family, or a combination of those.

I have also come to enjoy the 'street names' that players in the Labyrinth come up with.  Most often these are merely one or two simple words which serve to raise intriguing inquiry as to their origin, to affirm some physical characteristic or personal attribute, or to simply scare you.

Also, some desert tribes mimick Native American styles (Sun Runners in particular, I think?).  For example, Blue Whirlwind, Leaping Jozhal, or Black Sand.

And, as Pantoufle pointed out, magickers must have spooky names.

Personally, I favor Egyptian and Sumarian style names for unaffiliated northern characters and Arabic and Indian names for unaffiliated southern characters.  Why?  Cause it's how I do.

If you play a non-gemmed magicker, it is required that your name sound like that of a Power Ranger.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Just once, I'd like to see.

The frightening, cold-eyed templar returns your nod, sitting at a small table.

At your table, you say, in sirihish:
    "How may I be of assistance, Faithful Lady?"

At your table, the frightening, cold-eyed templar says, leaning forward slightly, in sirihish:
    "Lately, our trade routes have been plagued by a witch intent on harming the ivory. He is extremely powerful and commands an army of the undead."

You raise your eyebrows slightly, frowning.

"Yes... I've heard of this one. The Pink Rattlesnake, yes?"

The frightening, cold-eyed templar shakes her head.

"The Grey Tregil?"

The frightening, cold-eyed templar shakes her head.

You snap your fingers.

"The Vermillion Vestric!"

At your table, the frightening, cold-eyed templar says, in sirihish:
    "Amos. They call him Amos."
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Given Arm's environment and culture, I usually turn to arabic names for the base.

My system for commoners or Tribals:

1_ Goto: http://www.ummah.net/family/masc.html

2_ Pick one

3_ Look it over and modify it so it's unique, add stuff like double a' "aa" and harder consenants to make them seem more deserty.  For example: one of the names under B is Bassam, I would change into Baasak or something like it.

My system for nobles is based off roman names as well:

1_Goto
http://www.legionxxiv.org/nomens/

2_ Pick one

3_ Mod it as described above.

Last thing I use at times is biblical names for commoners and flat sounding nick names for Rinthi's.

Another cool name site: http://www.cool-baby-names.com/search-categories-biblical.htm

One last thing, I've seen which is cool is taking Zalathan plants and modding them slightly to be names. Like Pesheki, from Peshek.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: "Vesperas"I have put honest consideration in naming one of my future characters something like, Beth. .
:P

While we are at it, let's just stop roleplaying all together.
ar is not about who is right, but who is left.

I still want to play a HG named something completely and totally indicative of what he is...and then go play in the wrong area for that type of character.  Seriously, the interaction would priceless.

the HG merchant named Coin living in Red Storm.
the HG magicker named Magick...though, maybe not in Tuluk :wink:

Quote from: "Tamarin"If you play a non-gemmed magicker, it is required that your name sound like that of a Power Ranger.
Heheheh.  While not true, it certainly does seem this way sometimes.  Of course, these names aren't their real names, and that's what this'd be about. :wink:

This same thing would go for the 'Rinthi's someone mentioned.

In real names that I've known of some of these characters, there is wide diversity.  Maybe there should be some sort of convention come up with for closer-knit groups, like noble and merchant houses, tribals and the like?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Someday I'm going to have a string of eleven short-lived characters named after the days of the week.

Seriously though, I think it's very Zalanthan to have names based around things of that world.  Animals, plants, days, and elements are all creative fodder for you, writers.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "LauraMars"Seriously though, I think it's very Zalanthan to have names based around things of that world.  Animals, plants, days, and elements are all creative fodder for you, writers.

So that would explain why I see so many people in RL these days named Oak, Birch, and Tumbleweed.   :wink:

er of course on the same vein I do know of someone that named his daughters, Porshe, Mercedes, Infinity, and Lexus. (true)
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Quote from: "amoeba"So that would explain why I see so many people in RL these days named Oak, Birch, and Tumbleweed.   :wink:

er of course on the same vein I do know of someone that named his daughters, Porshe, Mercedes, Infinity, and Lexus. (true)

I knew a pair of sisters named Winter and Autumn.  Maybe we could name some of our characters after...well, I guess there's no seasons.  Temperatures?  Desert, Heat, Lotsaheat, Hothotheat.  Warm.

Quote from: "amoeba"So that would explain why I see so many people in RL these days named Oak, Birch, and Tumbleweed.
That's pretty common in Hebrew, naming people after plants, trees or flowers.  You won't run into people called 'Mint', but Oak, Rakefet (too tired to translate), Hazelnut, Palm Tree and a whole bunch of other names are pretty common.

My sister's name is Yaara, which is the Hebrew word for the Honeysuckle plant/flower.  Needless to say it has no sexual connotation in Hebrew.

I once met a character named Jihae.  That was great.

I also met a character IG named Ness.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Larrath"I also met a character IG named Ness.
Wow...I doubt they'd let us get away with staff names any more for character names...but I'd love to play Naiona.  :twisted:
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "amoeba"So that would explain why I see so many people in RL these days named Oak, Birch, and Tumbleweed.   :wink:

http://www.babynames.com.au/search-categories-flowers-plants.htm
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: "LauraMars"
 Desert, Heat, Lotsaheat, Hothotheat.  Warm.

HAHAHAHA

HI, MY NAME'S WARM

HAHAHA WTF
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

O_O

Sometimes I use the fantasy name generator linked from the docs.

One time I used a name that had some Zalanthan historical significance.

One time I went to a baby name list, and found a cool Czech name that I loved.  (Turns out to be my least favorite past character, but I still love that name).

One time I used a name vaguely similar to a (pretty obscure) fictional character.   There was really no rhyme or reason to that, though.  The concept had nothing to do with that character.

One time I started out with an acronym for some silly phrase, and then Zalanthanized the name a little.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Funny thing. I believe there are only very few players from Czech (three at most), but this is second character I know about which had Czech name - and not used by any of these three. :)

Heh.  Yeah, I was just thinking about that.  I have no idea if it was a common Czech name.   Hopefully not.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: "flurry"Heh.  Yeah, I was just thinking about that.  I have no idea if it was a common Czech name.   Hopefully not.

Tell us so we can laugh!  :twisted:

Anyway, I myself usually come with some totally made up name. One of my characters got name from a book I loved, but that was real exception. I am just playing with sound of words to find what would make a perfect name for next character.