Promoting the Mud

Started by Twilight, March 23, 2006, 08:12:46 PM

When one of the die hard players hits the lottery...

Its possible to buy an icon on Zmud.  I didn't know this until recently.  Basically, when you install Zmud, it comes with a few preset configurations with their own little icon already set up.  I think Gemstone, Archia and a few others.  I'm aware of another mud which was able to purchase a spot, so that their icon would be included with any new Zmud software downloaded, for a period of time.

I just found it kind of interesting.  Any other out of the box ways that could be used to promote the mud?
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

?

I'm still using the free version of Zmud, but I get no buttons.

If we were going to spend money on something like that, I would rather it get spent on advertising at a legitimate gaming and RP site like Jolt or something similar. Zmud is nice, but it represents a fraction of the clients people use to mud, who as a whole are a niche market anyway. A place like Jolt attracts a large amount of traffic, from console gamers reading reviews and discussing, to Forum Roleplayers and political ranters.

Alot of traffic in a place like that, many of whom are just dying to see an Armageddon banner and get their first taste of that sweet sweet stuff.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...