Question about Sorcerer-kings and Commoners

Started by Hymwen, March 21, 2006, 08:13:58 AM

The code does, however, give you the oppurtunity to "feel" things in your mind as well as use an internal monologue. You can't control how you feel unless you are a mindbender, so how could you not use that to suggest what your subconcious is thinking?
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"The code does, however, give you the oppurtunity to "feel" things in your mind as well as use an internal monologue. You can't control how you feel unless you are a mindbender, so how could you not use that to suggest what your subconcious is thinking?

Yes, I believe most of the points being made are to just suggest you somehow are lying if you use a false internal monologue.  Personally I thinking doing something like this is absolutely fine:

think (lying) I didn't rob that templar, why is she torturing me!

BUT if you give absolutely no indication of what your PC would actually be thinking or feeling then you're cheating yourself, psionicist PCs and staff out of the realism of the game world.  Psionicists have limits I'm sure, people OOCly misrepresenting their character's thought process shouldn't be one of them.

Quote from: "SpyGuy"
BUT if you give absolutely no indication of what your PC would actually be thinking or feeling then you're cheating yourself, psionicist PCs and staff out of the realism of the game world.  Psionicists have limits I'm sure, people OOCly misrepresenting their character's thought process shouldn't be one of them.

Completely agreed. This is about telling a story, not letting your Pc get pushed around OOcly so you can be apart of their story. That sounds like you are playing for everyone else to win, if you pretend they are all powerful without them even trying to prove it.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"That sounds like you are playing for everyone else to win, if you pretend they are all powerful without them even trying to prove it.

You really have no idea what you speak of. I'll leave it at that.
Quote from: LauraMarsThis is an unrealistic game.

(which is part of its appeal)

No doubt. *flex*

Two last thoughts about mindbenders and things that can be done against them without Barrier:
First of all, a mindbender (if he can truly see your thinks) doesn't get a full history of everything your character has done.  When most people come face to face with someone they know is a mindbender (ICly or OOCly) or feel a mindbender in their head, most often they don't go - "Oh shit, it's a mindbender!  He's going to find out how I killed Lord Shamos Fale and buried the longknife under the tree and how I lied to those templars to keep my sekret Nilazi powers secret so nobody gives me trouble when I bring the Dragon back!".
Most people will just go - "Oh shit, it's a mindbender!  He's going to learn about that murder or...shit what-do-I-do-what-do-I-do?  Maybe I'll do X, no, I'll do Y...".

Second, a character can try to force himself to simply think about something else.
Quote from: "An Example"
You feel a strange pressure building up inside your head.  It feels phallic.

> think SHIT!  Alright, keep that murder hidden keep it hidden think about...that girl's tits.
> think Yeah, they're pretty nice tits--is he gone yet--yeah, I'd sure like to fry them with a pair of travel cakes...
> think FRY them?  Huh?  Where the fuck did -that- thought come from?

The italicized Think in the example is critical, and it's basically what makes an otherwise bad example good.  Most characters would also be pretty bad at -really- managing to think about something else.  One time I've had a character who thought he was being stalked by a mindbender, I think, and he tried to 'practice' distracting himself with a limited degree of success.  Someone reading his thoughts would know that, even if he's not thinking about something in particular right now, there's still something up.

You don't have to spell everything out to a mindbender, but you are expected to represent your character's total sum of thoughts and feelings using Think/Feel in a realistic and accurate manner.  What, don't you ever emote failing in bed or falling down or being sick or spilling wine?  Flat and flawless for-the-win characters that don't develop and never mess up is something I sorely hope I left behind when I joined Arm.
The victory is the experience you get from the character, not getting your character's pfile on Ginka to be '1011001010110101' instead of '0111011011100011'.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

In my experiences, there's nothing more challenging in this game than interacting with a PC you know to be a mindbender.

One of my characters was in a close relationship with a character they knew to be a psionicist for more than 8 RL months, and it was by far the most challenging role I've played thus far.  Constantly using thinks just in case they were able to listen in, required me to be aware of exactly how my character felt or thought in each situation I was in.  It's very challenging, but it produced an absolutely incredible character, for myself, and certainly the staff and the players who interacted with them.

I could spend another paragraph explaining how it is twinkish to try and cheat your way out of conflicts or danger by lying with thinks/feels, but I'd rather highlight the great benefits of not doing so.  Even if you have the OOC feeling your shooting yourself in the foot by using a think or feel that might be dangerous in the wrong hands, you're not.  You're roleplaying at the highest level.  

You'll love yourself for it, all the players on the other end will love you for it (if only for the fact your roleplay will improve), and the staff will love you for it.  The staff being so deeply aware of your characters actions, and the motivations behind each one of them, is able to offer MUCH more for you than they would a normal character whose personality is hidden behind a veil of uncertainty.  For those of you interested in getting karma or being trusted to play sponsered roles, I can think of no better way to prove yourself.

It's not easy though.  I'll give you that.

Quote from: "Larrath"
You don't have to spell everything out to a mindbender, but you are expected to represent your character's total sum of thoughts and feelings using Think/Feel in a realistic and accurate manner.  What, don't you ever emote failing in bed or falling down or being sick or spilling wine?  Flat and flawless for-the-win characters that don't develop and never mess up is something I sorely hope I left behind when I joined Arm.
The victory is the experience you get from the character, not getting your character's pfile on Ginka to be '1011001010110101' instead of '0111011011100011'.

I never said DON'T RP OUT YOUR LIES. I said that you can lie in your internal monologue. Rp out the lie with your subconcious (the command I use for that is called "feel"), I use this to make a Pc that isn't a superficial pc. A pc that is cut and dry. Black and white. Not all truths have to be 100% truths. Not all lies have to be 100% lie.