Armament

Started by Larrath, March 08, 2006, 04:50:07 PM

QuoteSynthesis' idea = better.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Make it something you can toggle off and on with preference? If some people want it great...if not...they dont have to turn it on. I personally wouldnt use it...but that would fix the problem with it being to jarring for some people.

As for Synthesis' version of it...I would use that. I like it.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: "Synthesis"Just a note: The code already adds an ldesc for you if you're covered from head to toe in blood:

"The clueless noob is standing here, bleeding profusely."

If the code does it for wounds, it should do it for weapons.

Thumbs up.

I'd have it look something like:

"The ultimate d00d stands here, weapons drawn."

It has about the same extra verbiage as "bleeding profusely," and adds a bit of very useful and immediately desirable information.

Also, I'd add a separate ldesc for holding a bow or wielding a crossbow:

"The deadeye sharpshooter stands here, holding a bow."

The code already adds an ldesc for when you're taking aim ("Soandso is standing here, taking aim."  Or somesuch...), so why not before, when you've got everything ready but the aiming?

Ultimate thumbs up.

I like it.  I'd add a "naked' tag too.  It is rare for someone to be completely naked, but it should be imediately obvious when it happens.

It could be plausible for for the armed, bloody, nude, etc. tags to be seen one room away, but probably not for two or three.  The important thing is people in the same room.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"I like it.  I'd add a "naked' tag too.  It is rare for someone to be completely naked, but it should be imediately obvious when it happens.

That's why I make sure to always be wearing a hat.

Or boots.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

what if you're completely naked and only wearing a wrist-wrap?
wouldn't you still be naked and not have the 'nude' tag?
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

It depends on where you are wearing that wristwrap.   :wink:

This wouldn't eliminate the need for looking at people, it would just catch the most obvious incidents.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Manhattan"what if you're completely naked and only wearing a wrist-wrap?
wouldn't you still be naked and not have the 'nude' tag?

Maybe you'd just get the tag if you weren't things on torso, arms, body, waist, belt, and legs.

There are capes that can be worn around your neck, though.  And Larreth's earlier example about a headband with folds of cloth falling from it.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

People are generally pretty good at describing, through the use of emotes and 'change ldesc', exactly what they're doing with whatever weapons are in their hands. And if you've just happened onto the scene, common sense will frequently tell you just who is and isn't armed. Tags or extra lines added to your ldesc would just be annoying as hell.

I propose the message read:

The hulking mercenary is standing here, armed.[/color]

If several effects are in place, it might read:

The hulking mercenary is standing here, armed, naked, and bleeding profusely.[/color]

A custom ldesc would overwrite this code-generated ldesc, since it is assumed that the player is trying to roleplay exactly what is happening then, and thus, certain normally noticable attributes might be concealed or otherwise altered.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "LauraMars"There are capes that can be worn around your neck, though.  And Larreth's earlier example about a headband with folds of cloth falling from it.

Still, in these cases, you're naked. A cape is not a covering for the entire body, and a headband with a bunch of falling cloth is still certianly going to reveal a plenty, and thus not really fulfill the normal criteria for being clothed.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870