Coded Voices

Started by Maybe42or54, February 28, 2006, 09:26:25 PM

Quote from: "Rindan"You might disagree with my assessment, but stating that people have not bothered to read the thread in detail is flatly wrong and untrue.
I don't disagree with any of the points you raised, or your assessment.  I stated some of them myself earlier.  My statement was not intended as any type of personal attack against you or anyone else.  I might very well be off base, but it seemed that many people were missing the thrust of the discussion.

The topic was never "let's automatically tag a pretyped canned phrase to every spoken emote."  Many (and I still think that is a fair word, re-reading the entire thread again) responded, objecting to that never-offered proposal.

I'm not a big fan of the ass -v option to determine anything about a character's voice, either.

I AM interested, which I think Maybe42or54 was aiming at, in considering ways to make vocal characteristics more integrated into the game where they would be appropriate.  Perhaps in "shouts", or when in darkness, or when blinded, or when "someone" speaks.  In real life, you do get a lot of information from a speaking voice about the speaker.

A hooded figure or masked figure, I believe, gets the "in a male/female voice", added to their phrase.  I like that addition a lot.  That is more the direction I thought the discussion was going.

Seeker

*edited for apology*
(.... and I need to apologize.  My previous post sure does read snarky.  Sorry.)
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: "Rindan"
At your seat, the ugly, bald headed man says in southern accented Sirihish, with a raspy voice, while chuckling as he rubs his chin thoughtfully,
"Sounds like a lot of needless spam and awkward wording to me."

Just to point it out, I don't want it to be attached to "say"s because that would be annoying as hell, and, tone changes constantly throughout the day, for whichever mood you are currently swinging from.

I picked Assess -V because the help files say it isn't "A quick glance" it is:

QuoteThis command allows you to briefly examine someone or something to determine its condition. You will learn his or her relative state of health and his or her relative state of exhaustion. Assessing objects will often yield useful information about their nature, such as how much longer a light will last, or what a tool might be used for.

The voice of someone is useful nature crap right?

QuoteThe optional -v flag (the verbose flag) can be added to gain additional information about the person you are examining, such as age, height, and weight.

I'd love this because it would be one more thing you'd have a chance to Rp when you want to Rp it. Some pcs I have seen never emote what their voice sounds like, only their tone. This would add a lot to Rp when you are blinded, knocked out, blind folded, in the dark, when you just hear a voice, etc. It would give you one more thing to describe people with when your PC only saw them for a split second before they ran away. (Even though you as a player found out what his voice was like.)
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Situations I would see something along these lines are:

Someone says in a male voice... Only male?  We should know more about the voice than that.  Enough to potentially identify the hidden/invis speaker later.
You hear a male voice to the west say...
You hear a male voice to the west say...
(Shouts fall into this category too) When you look west, there are two males.  How do you tell them apart?  Sure, you can follow the conversation and figure out who person A and person B are, but which of those men is person A and which is person B?

I am in favor of something for this...but do not know how to make it work.  I don't want speech tags on every say like some have said.  I don't want it in assess or even assess -v.  What if the person never speaks?  What if the person is mute?  I think we need more brainstorming and to come up with something better than these, but I do think something would be good.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I think something like this is a good idea. I'd rather see something come repeatedly from a player describing the sound of the character's voice rather than the lack of anything describing it that you get from -most- characters.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I have no idea how I would describe my own voice in just a few words, let alone any of my characters.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau