Psssssssst. (Whisper)

Started by flurry, February 18, 2006, 09:38:18 AM

The "anon" post on the Listen Nerf thread reminded me of this....

I would like to see some added functionality to the whisper command.  What I'd like to see is a way to "whisper" to a group that you are either seated with or teamed with.  I've seen a feature like this before and really loved it.  I don't think it should be as difficult to overhear as regular whisper, but not as easy as talk, say, tell.   I don't know what the best syntax would be, but I picture examples like this:

>whisper table Don't look - but that creepy breed at the bar keeps looking over here.

>whisper team Stick close and wait for my signal.  We feck this up, we die.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Along these lines...

couldn't "talk" be converted to "say" when you're not sitting at a table?  I've idea-ed it in game a few times to no avail.

Quote from: "bardess"Along these lines...

couldn't "talk" be converted to "say" when you're not sitting at a table?  I've idea-ed it in game a few times to no avail.

That could get odd if you were attempting to talk to an NPC and failed.

>Talk man topics

You say, in Sirihish, "man topics"    :oops:

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I wish you could:

>stand with muscular
You stand with the tall, muscular man.

>talk Doctor.
In earshot of the tall, muscular man, you say, in sirihish:
    "Doctor."
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "bardess"couldn't "talk" be converted to "say" when you're not sitting at a table?  I've idea-ed it in game a few times to no avail.

YES YES YES PLZ.

Quote from: "Tamarin"I wish you could:

>stand with muscular
You stand with the tall, muscular man.

>talk Doctor.
In earshot of the tall, muscular man, you say, in sirihish:
    "Doctor."

Yeah.  Useful.  More useful for grouping, somehow too.

The gruff, saggy-bottomed Byn sergeant shouts in sirihish, "Huddle up, ya kank-feckers!"

The weasly, sad-sacked elf stands with the the gruff, saggy bottomed Byn sergeant.
The curvaceous, dapple-haired woman stands with the the gruff, saggy-bottomed Byn sergeant.
The tall, muscular man stands with the the gruff, saggy bottomed Byn sergeant.

The gruff, saggy-bottomed Byn sergeant shouts, glaring over, in sirihish, "Amos?!"

The taller, more muscular man stands with the the gruff, saggy-bottomed Byn sergeant, sidling up beside the curvaceous, dapple-haired woman.

The gruff, saggy-bottomed Byn sergeant talks quietly, slipping an arm over the weasly, sad-sacked elf's shoulders, in sirihish, "Alright... now nobody look over there,  but on the count of three..."

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

double-post.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

QuoteThat could get odd if you were attempting to talk to an NPC and failed.

I would love to see a different command for this. I think we have a few command syntaxs that are doubled up unnecessarily, leading to situations like you described. Perhaps a 'gossip' command or something of the sort.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

I was just about to ask about that, but, I'll add it on here, and maybe it'll get picked up.

gossip NPC should present you with one or more of the following topics:
1. "NPC has nothing to say to you."
2. "NPC says, "I can hobnob or jingle or waterloo or goobag...."
3. "NPC is the dealer/runner/bigshot of a GAME, which you can play by doing lalala and bobobob and ghautor..."

Personally, I hate seeing the phrase, .'You are not at a table.' when I'm trying to speak to an NPC. I know that I am not at a table. Secondly, there's too much variety when handling NPCs, since you have to 'say' to play games, 'talk' to gossip, and sometimes, even look to see if you can play a game or othersuch with the guy.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"Personally, I hate seeing the phrase, .'You are not at a table.' when I'm trying to speak to an NPC. I know that I am not at a table. Secondly, there's too much variety when handling NPCs, since you have to 'say' to play games, 'talk' to gossip, and sometimes, even look to see if you can play a game or othersuch with the guy.

I don't even try to talk/gossip/whatever with NPC's as invariably what will happen is I end up using the wrong syntax and end up looking foolish.  I third the idea that this needs to not be an overloaded command, but something strictly for npc gossip.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Like.... "gossip."
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Not that there are too many on-topic posts getting in your way, but would you please take the off-topic "gossip" discussion to another thread?

As for the original topic, let me try to rephrase as a way of getting this thread back on track and maybe getting some feedback.  The idea is to allow someone to speak in a hushed tone to a group (whether seated or standing).  This would be especially nice while standing, I think, because there are times when you would realistically not project your voice to the whole room if you wanted to make a remark to others standing with you.  The problem comes in with how to group people who are standing.  I had thought just by those who are hitched with you, but I like the suggestion of being able to "stand with" someone.

The idea isn't to defeat listen - nor do I think it would be good to roleplay taking this hushed tone consistently (except in rare cases when circumstances dictate).  It would make listen more layered, though, giving something that is harder to over hear than ordinary table conversation, but not as hard as ordinary whispers.  And ultimately the point is that it would be a roleplay tool.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon