Nerf City Listen

Started by Fragmented, February 18, 2006, 12:53:20 AM

ok well what does it say here:

Quote from: "daedroug"Basicly it'd be just like the language skills are now.. always on

and when i said:

Quote from: "daedroug"one suggestion that i would add to that would be to keep the listen but instead it gives a bonus to it

i meant keep the listen command so that when your sitting in a bar and your trying to listen it would give a bonus since your trying. any other time you'd be able to hear conversations just not as much of it and not as well

Still would need a nolisten or listen off command.

Listen always on...eeewwww.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Even if you could target another table with listen, you still get "speak" echo from other tables.

At a bar, the buff manly man speaks, nodding his head and grunting and taking a big long drink from his flask of whiskey because he has mercenary as his subguild and can hold his liquor.

At a bar, the hot commoner woman speaks, gesturing with her long and slender fingers which you know could break a man's neck because she is a butt-kicking ninja, dude.

At a bar, the little kid speaks, and then he screams and screams and screams and screams.

Then multiply this times however many tables there are with people at them.  It still gets annoying.  I'd rather have what they're actually SAYING spam up my screen than speak spam.  I like listen how it is -  otherwise it's really boring and irritating.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Try listening to nearby conversations in a noisy tavern or restaurant. Anywhere there is a crowd.

You will find that you can learn to direct 'where' your ears are hearing. Noise suddenly becomes intelligeble if you know what/who is producing it. Like it was said, listen is a combination of activities, and to learn, one must get past things like 'background noise'.

Please don't complicate the game needlessly by changing listen. It seems to work wonderfully.

I would like to request that if you want to join in this discussion, please do not do so merely to shoot others' ideas down.

If you have an alternate idea, propose it.

If you have an opinion on how listen works currently, state it.

This makes it easier for any staff who are following the conversation to a) glean the major ideas and b) not get spammed with back and forth sniping: "Your idea sucks!" "No, yours does!"
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!