Important+Ignored: Why?

Started by Thunder Lord, January 20, 2006, 09:55:00 AM

Regarding the post:
http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16591

DO I really need to say more? Do I really need to quote EVERYBODY? Or will this get the HINT out? Why oppostion from the staff? Why isnt this in game already? I don't undertand why a fantastic idea that EVERYONE wants would be ignored.

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"This is an orgasmically good idea if it can, in fact, be done.
Anyways, I'd use it constantly if it were to be placed in.
Quote from: "Larrath"I'm absolutely in favor of this idea.
Quote from: "Akaramu"this is a particularly good idea
Quote from: "Vesperas"I think its a great idea, too
Quote from: "wizturbo"I really really really like this idea.
Quote from: "Tamarin"I love this idea
Quote from: "Angela Christine"I think it is fantastic.
Quote from: "SRB"I'd use it.
Quote from: "jmordetsky"Is good.
Quote from: "cyberpatrol_735"I agree, this would be awesome
Quote from: "SykotikGith"I like
Quote from: "JollyGreenGiant"I really like this idea.
Quote from: "Dakkon Black"This is one of the best ideas ever
Quote from: "sarahjc"I think it's awesome
I hope this goes into the game. Great.. Just great..
Please staff.. Make it happen.. Pretty Please with sugar on top.
Quote from: "path"...genius.
Minimal twink factor, but sweet heaven.....
....Anyhow, hats off to the idea guy behind this. I think it would be a fantastic addition...
....So in love with the idea. Enough said.
Quote from: "Agent_137"I vote for this,
and I would like to see it bumped up the priority list above other things to be coded.
Quote from: "Larrath"And I do agree that I'd like to see it placed up relatively high on the to-code list.  As far as my understanding goes, this is pretty simple to code, and it will really add a lot.
Quote from: "Larrath"
This is extremely useful for explaining injuries, the way a hood is drawn, temporary sickness, makeup, hairstyle and cleanliness, and practically anything else.
This is a wonderful idea.

This IS a wonderful idea. And emote can be abused far more. No excuse! :)

Quote from: "Halaster"Well, someone else may think it's a great idea and veto me and do it.  I'm just stating my opinion.
Quote from: "Halaster"No one, as far as I know, has any plan of doing this.

__:::::edited to add Vesperas' quote.

I think its a great idea, too, but I'm not quoted!!  ::feels left out::

- Edited to say she doesn't feel left out anymore.

Come on, there, Jude.  Take a sad song and make it better.  We just got a biography command that is cooler than halfing popsicles!!!!!  

So tdesc is an amazing idea, (I notice I wasn't one of the QUOTED ONES) and I don't see all that much potential for abuse really.  It would be great to have in game, I do agree.  We can be patient, though.  She'll be coming 'round the mountain when she comes.  Riding six white horses.  Eating cake and ice cream.  But she'll be coming round the mountain when she comes, yes sir.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

A quote from the threads you are quoting:

QuoteI don't think that nagging will thrill anyone to (voluntary!) work, however. It's all about motivation.Wink
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

First, there isn't a popularity contest and this isn't a democracy.  It doesn't matter if every single person on the board likes an idea, that is no guarantee that it will be implemented.  Second, if I was doing voluntary work and someone kept pestering the hell out of me to implement a certain idea, I would not be inclined to do so.  I wouldn't do it because I wouldn't like someone making demands of me while I am volunteering my time to serve them.  I also would not implement an idea if someone kept posting demands to do so if for no other reason then to avoid encouraging everyone to start spamming me whenever they personally think they have a great idea.  

It is one thing to kick around an idea.  We do it all of the time.  We kick around an idea, list the pros and cons, try and think of ways to minimize the cons, and some times that idea sees the light of day.  That is a fine.  On the other hand, when you have volunteers working for you and you start posting to the equivalent of "Hey, everyone else thinks this is great!  WTF is wrong with you volunteers?  Implement this now!" you can rest assure that at best you are doing nothing, and at worst making it so that someone who might have interest in volunteering their time no longer wants to.

My advice would be to stop demanding that someone implement this idea and go back to discussing ways to implement it should someone volunteer to do so.  Maybe this idea will not led to this idea seeing the light of day, but I think you can rest assured that this approach of listing the names of everyone who thinks it is a good idea and asking why in the hell that volunteers that run the MUD disagree is not helping the chances of getting this idea implemented in the slightest.  On the contrary, I imagine you are probably doing it harm.

This ain't no democracy.  This is the United States of Armageddon.  The staff is the President, the Emperor, and the King.  Ultimately, they are the ones who evaluate ideas and decide whether they would be feasible to implement, benefit the game, etc.  

You've also got to remember that they also have a list of things that they're already working on, and sometimes these things take time.  Pestering the staff, demanding, begging, none of that will do anything but annoy the IMMs.

Patience, grasshopper!
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

As someone who has been playing this game a while (there are a few non-Imms that have been playing longer that are still around, but not too many), I must say that while this may be a good idea (I still haven't decided yet), there is a good chance it will not be coded, at least any time soon.

(krath, how's that for a run-on sentence).

I have seen plenty of good ideas come up on the board, I've seen a few of them implemented.  Probably the most reciently long-requested one is the ability to learn and change accents.  This has been a request pretty much since the introduction of the accent system (I remember).  Now, many many years later, it's finally implemented.

I see this implementation request as much the same issue.   The major difficulties with this are not "This is a great idea, should we do it?"  It's more along the lines of "Ok, we have this idea, how should it work, where should, and shouldn't these things be displayed, how should the commands work to add them, do we implement commands to remove them?  do we have them remove themselves over time? how much time?"  Then once every scrap of the interface (both in and out) gets figured out (and agreed upon, then comes the -really- difficult part: coding it.  Who's going to code it and how is it going to be done?  How deep will the code need to go, how many commands and subroutines will be affected, and in turn, altered to implement this.  I can think of 5 player commands, right off the top of my head that were affected by the change-accent modification, and I'm sure that countless subroutines also had to be modified.

What has been requested here, I'm sure has been considered greatly by the staff.  I'm also sure that while it may be in the list of things to be figured out, it is nowhere near the top.  I can think of many things in this list (most of which are still pretty far down).

One in particular was being worked on by a staff memeber before (s)he left.  It has not been implemented due to a) not wanting to redo work that has already been done, and b) not having time to wade through all the notes and completed parts of this code to find where the original imm left off.  (what's sad is that the section of code this would affect has changed so much since the imm left, that it may well be easier to start over).

QuoteI don't think that nagging will thrill anyone to (voluntary!) work, however. It's all about motivation.Wink

I have no idea who said that originally, but they had the right of it.  Nagging on the GDB probably will not get much accomplished other than annoying the staff and playerbase.  However, remember that this is very much a player-driven game.  We allow players to submit all kinds of things from NPCs to objects, to rooms, even to entire areas from time to time.  Any player is able to submit these things at any time.

My recomendation, if you really want to get this implemented is to take as much of the work as possible for yourself.  Go ahead, fully plan out what you feel the implementation -should- be, add in some option things.  Include examples, lots of examples.  Every command that you think would be affected, include examples of how the command would be given, as well as multiple examples of what the output would be.  Include how it would echo in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd person perspective.  Do this for everything you can think of.

Compile all that into a neat, well presented document, I would actully recommend text, but you may wish to mail the mud account to find out for sure.  And send it off to the mud and submissions staff.  Request that any imms interested send you back their thoughts and ideas, as well as any trouble they forsee so that you can revise and resubmit.

Don't just whine, if you seriously want this implemented, make it as easy for the staff as possible.

Just my two sid (and whatever else I had in my pockets, including some lint).
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

1) If its really a good idea, it will stand up to review and critiscim from the staff. Every player in the game could think its a great idea, but that doesn't mean its right for the game, and ultimately, its the Staff that makes those descisions.

2) I would echo Halasters reservations about this idea. It has its good points, but it also has its downpoints. Additionally, while it might be a wonderful idea, I don't think you, or the rest of the playerbase really wants us to drop everything we're doing so we can devote 100% of all our attention to this idea. There are many, many, many code additions and changes in progress right now, all of which are just as mind-bogglingly cool as the last great idea.

3) I really don't think this is a condusive way to convincing the staff to really consider the idea, and (in my opinion) its probably a good way to see it get quietly shuffled to the bottom of a very long list of other great ideas.
Tlaloc
Legend

I didn't mean to start a player revolt.  I just wanted to see if the idea was forgotten (which it was) and get the immortals' attention (which I did).  I think the pros of the idea have been pretty well discussed already and a few cons I hadn't considered have come up too.  The final decision is, naturally, the staff's.  My mission is complete, though.

*bow*

It's not a democracy...but I'll add my quote to the list anyway - it's a great idea.  :idea:

I think the reason people reacted strongly to this post was the wording.  The subject certainly suggests that we staff are ignoring people's ideas rather than listening to them and considering them which we certainly have done with this one, even though it hasn't been implemented.