Conscription

Started by Folker, January 04, 2006, 08:27:22 AM

Greetings.

After reading the discussion about grit, I've pondered about a possibility, and figured I'll share it with the others. It's not a suggestion to change the code per se, but a more of a social engeering sort of change, albeit an immense one. You can safely comment on this suggestion somewhere in fashion of, "dont break what already works", and you'll probably be right. Still, I figured i'll run it by you.

Basically, what I propose is ... a mandatory conscription for all population that wishes to be a citizen of say ... Allanak. So for example every newly created character, whose age is above, 16 has few choices really. He can ditch Allanak before he is caught and conscripted, he can avoid the militia, he can bribe certain individuals to recieve a citizenship token, or he can ... be conscripted.

What being conscripted involves is fairly similarly to Byn, only difference is that work involved there can range from military actions, to road building, or whatever. And is ... mandatory. One cannot be a citizen of Allanak if he didnt spend say 2 years as a conscript. During those two years they are basically fed, trained, and gradually killed on various things. And after two years, they are finally given a citizenship token and let go to work on their own devices.

Though there will need be a change in the mercentile area inside Allanak, that for example lowers the prices considerably to those with a citizenship token, and increases them to those without. Especially on things like water in the temples.

Such a system will still allow independant roles, though at a cost of most of their starting money (or maybe more then that) needed for a bribe, or being vulnerable to extra grief from other citizens and militia. It also instantly gives the newly created characters something to do and things to learn without falling back to hunting labyrinth for example or some similar things.

This is a vague idea that I had in my head and perhaps it's not completely structured. What would be the cons and pros of such a thing?

Biggest 'con' that I can see is that you'd scare away most of the city's player base.  They'd all ditch out for somewhere else in the world that didn't require that.

Being independent in Allanak isn't as easy, already, as it is in Tuluk.  This would make it silly.  (minor con)

Now, if you were to do that to Tuluk, where most people go when they want to play an Indie...well...everyone would change their starting city to Luir's and come north to hunt/gather. (minor con)

Basically, the last two minor 'cons,' they're just one larger 'con' ...lots of peple would avoid this restriction in some way or other from the beginning.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I had a character conscripted once for a particular mission.  They let him go when they found out he didn't have armor, weapons, couldn't ride, and couldn't fight, though.

The point is, though, there's nothing stopping a templar or even a soldier for demanding an unafiliated citizen come fight for the city.

I think 99% of all characters would be at least age 18 and have in their backgrounds that they were conscripts for two years.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Cale_Knights point is Vaild. If there were this law, most people would have been conscribed at 14 years old. And while I think it is a neat idea, I'd rather see something like this more in the north than in the south, since the north is the one that "brands" their citizens.

Mostly I could see this sort of thing being required of people who come to the north and wish to stay there for a long period of time. Sort of an indentured servitude for a year or two before they are accepted amongst the populace and also for people who chose to play really young PC's.

Tuluk is a city under construction and it might be something worth thinking about as a policy the templarete could instill on the populace if the Slave trade goes bad, or they do not have enough slaves to build and beautify the city as the population rises.

If this idea were implemented or used in a plot line, it would be neat to give those who start off in Tuluk, the option of getting the Tuluki Cast Tattoos before leaving the hall of kings. This way they could decide beforehand if they want to be brought into the conscription enforced clan or not. It could also be a way for new players to easily join a clan and give more duties to the militia.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

If it was renamed to something kinder, gentler, more tree huggy, I could see this being a Tuluki tradition, to put a year of your life towards protecting and defending your beloved city. Complete with it's own set of tattoos for joining, finishing, even one for *gasp* getting kicked out or deserting.

Something more to do with patriotism and volunteering than conscription. A way to make sure that the Occupation never happens again, by training all of the Ivory's citizens to help defend it. (And for non fighters, there would be other ways to serve, quite obviously. Craft and steal for your Sun King!)

And two years is a bit long, that's three RL months. But one year is doable. The Byn and most organizations demand a year. What loyal, forest loving citizen of the beloved Ivory wouldn't willingly donate a year of their time (or for the rich, pay someone to serve it for you) to our Faithful?

I could see it. Maybe enforced in Allanak and 'volunteer' in Tuluk.
And it could be virtual, definitely. Plus, all those 13 year old PC's would have a real reason to lie about their age, and to not socialize in the taverns like mini adults for fear of getting drafted.

Proxie
For those who knew him, my husband Jay, known as Becklee from time to time on Arm, died August 17th, 2008, from complications of muscular dystrophy.

Enforced in Tuluk. Not even thought of in Allanak.

Who would try to invade Allanak again? Of course those soft northern sorts need everyone in the militia. We'll stomp them again, and we might break a sweat. (As if I were a southern templar)
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Wait...so you want to make Tuluk into Israel?

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Uh.. Yea.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

This was done in Sparta in Ancient Times. I took a history course about it some time ago but I remember that it was manditory for Spartan boys to join the military at age like six or something and continue training until they were somewhere in their twenties. Although I think Sparta has some of the coolest military history ever, I don't think it would really work for Allanak per se nor would it work for this fantasy world of Zalanthas. It would definitely be a huge turn-off if I had to spend even one IC year doing something my character didn't particularily want to do. What if I have a merchant-type character? What about a weak, sneaky guy? I just don't see this working out too well. Of course, Sparta had enemies it was constantly at war with, so their desire to have enough soldiers to fight was essential. Allanak is currently not at war with any opposing force therefore they probably wouldn't need their citizens to be conscripted to their army anyways.

-SM

Good point, Sand Man...

This would very possibly result in all the independant merchant and thiefy types getting killed off so that the area in question is mostly warrior-types.

there are ways to avoid being drafted. Paying off a bribe, or just avoiding the patrol.

Imagine that every once in awhile, once a week for example or once a month, PC militia would raid taverns and other areas, and start going from one end of the tavern to another, checking everyone's tokens/tattooes. Whatever age you are, if you happened to lack the tattoo/token, then all this time you've avoided the draft

Getting out of the draft shouldnt be that complicated, it may involve multiple bribes of various levels. It may involve small bribes, for the patrol that cought you to let you go before reaching the drafting point where the Templar npc sits. Or it may involve a sizable bribe to the templar or whomever else, to let you off. Pretty similarly to say ... trading token in Allanak.

Same goes for sneaky types, except they have an option of simply escaping the patrol mid way.

In other words, drafts 'SHOULD' be escapable, and should be escapable easilly. But through some amount of roleplay and manipulation.

I'd rather see this in low-population areas like Cenyr and Red Storm
myself.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

kind of defeats the purpose then. for this thing to be of any use, it has to be in areas that are most favoured by new players and new characters generally

Quotekind of defeats the purpose then. for this thing to be of any use, it has to be in areas that are most favoured by new players and new characters generally

I don't think this would be appropriate as an idea then.  It only creates a
more restricted world where the majority of player characters had to be
in the militia or go into hiding/flee to a remote village.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Well, it's clear that majority do not like the idea. That's alright, I can live with that:) I had a fairly 'vague' vision in my head, and figured i'd go ahead and share.