Rangers and the Listen skill

Started by Larrath, December 26, 2005, 04:28:27 PM

Quote from: "Larrath"Except warriors.  And a few others.

Warriors are not masters of observation and skullduggery. They are stone cold killers who know who to *cough* "fuck shit up" *cough*. This is reflected in their amazing combat abilities.

Quote from: "Larrath"Letting a Ranger pick a crafting subguild that will provide an immense income while forcing a Warrior to pick one of the generally-crappy subguilds that offer Listen...hmm.  I don't think that's extremely balanced.

Rangers do not have to pick a crafting subguild in order to provide an immense income for themselves. Trust me.

Quote from: "Larrath"Be respectful when you post, ERS.  I don't think I--or any other poster--deserve less.

You're absolutely right. You can start this trend by apologizing for poking fun at EvilRoeSlade's name. Honestly people, let's stop the petty name calling.
Quote from: LauraMarsThis is an unrealistic game.

(which is part of its appeal)

No doubt. *flex*

Quote from: "Dirr"I, however, digress - if the ability to distinguish coherent noise through meaningless static seems outlandish for a desert ranger, then consider the ability to discern danger in an environment constantly besieged by storms: storms reduce visibility -and- produce a significant amount of noise.

Sandstorms also move in such frightening speeds and with such force that they would tear the flesh out of any ranger dumb enough to try hunting during one, stormcloak or no.
Plus, I doubt it would be possible to easily make out what a person was saying if they were shouting at the top of their lungs from twenty feet away during a severe sandstorm.

Being able to hear clearly during a serious sandstorm should, realistically, be nothing less than a feat of magick.

Quote from: "Jakhari"Rangers do not have to pick a crafting subguild in order to provide an immense income for themselves. Trust me.
Just another point in showing that rangers aren't perfectly balanced, in my opinion.

Fact is that there is no realistic reason why a ranger should be more capable of making out conversations in a tavern than a warrior.

I have yet to hear one - rangers are masters of observation in a location where sound carries a tremendous distance and, disregarding any howling winds, there is deathly silence for the vast majority of the time.

As for 'flaming' ERS by mispelling his name?  I honestly fail to see why he would be insulted by that.  In case that he is, though, I apologize.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I think everything that needed to be said on this subject has been said. Then some. Play nice.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"