OOC use of OOC knowledge

Started by The Richochet Kid, December 26, 2005, 04:18:16 AM

What do you think of this situation?

Your PC dies and your next PC interacts with someone you knew previously.  Let's say your new PC either doesn't know the character's name ICly, or they are told a different name.  Is it okay for you the player to target them code-wise with the name you know them by?

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I always wonder when I'm in that sitation.
example:

your previous PC knew the green-eyed, dark-haired man as Amos.

when your next PC meets the character; he doesn't tell you his name this time.

should you emote to ~green or is it okay to use Amos?

I really can't think of any reason you'd want to not use a unique keyword. Less chance of mistargeted emotes, which - while frequently amusing - do tend to be a little jarring.

i think it's fine, as long as you dont do one special thing ... that being dont screw up your emote and demonstrate which identifier you're using. Shouldnt affect you IC in any way, I hope ... but it does give an uncomfortable feeling. What's the problem with using just descriptions though?

Quote from: "Anonymous"What's the problem with using just descriptions though?

Try to imagine situations where everyone has his hood up. Even better if they all wear the same cloak.  :roll:

I would try not to do this - and you may find an alarmed staff member contacting you saying 'Hey. How does your character know that name?' if it is a real secret.  

Using the 'real' name gives you an advantage your character wouldn't have.  This is one rule that the staff itself tries to follow when playing our 'regular' PCs.  For instance, I know OOCly that my character's worst enemy is named 'Herbert' (names changed to protect the amazingly guilty), but I always type 'contact Amos' because that is the only name he gave me ICly.  Sometimes I might have some trouble because of all the Amos characters in the world, but remember you can use multiple keywords on things like contact, which helps.

The rule of thumb is - always try to ignore whatever OOC knowledge you have.  It is a very slippery slope and the more careful you are with even the small things, the easier it is to not accidentally use knowledge your character doesn't have with the larger things.
brainz: it's what's for dinner.

What Naiona said.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

I think that what Naiona said should be documented somewhere.
I've always used people's names/nicknames in order to address them with emotes (though not in other situations where this might be more relevent).

If we're not supposed to do it, let us know!
*nod self*
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Yeah, I agree with Larrath. It hadn't occured to me that using the pc's name for emotes and such if I had learned it from a previous pc would necessarily be considered bad form.
Now that it is pointed out I see that it could be in certain situations. Althought in those situations, I'd never have used them. *shrug* Honestly, I don't think there's a black and white to this. I think it really depends on the use/purpose of using the information.
Just for targetting with emote? Bah, I don't see how there's any way this can be considered abuse.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D