Sexual Assault and The Man

Started by LauraMars, December 19, 2005, 04:07:58 PM

Quote from: "LoD"

I also don't like the name of this thread.  The female players are always clamoring for equality in both deed and thought on this MUD and this only perpetuates current day and common social values that only Men would be the rapists.  Even if "The Man" refers to Tektolnes, I think the idea perpetuates stereotypes and only works to move people backwards in their thinking on these subjects within Zalanthas.

I'm surprised that it's written as such coming from a female handle.  I hope I don't ever see your name on any of those sexism threads.

-LoD

Also, there seems to be a presumption that women would be more likely targets of sexual assault. Not necessarily true in a world where women are no more defenseless than men.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Here are my two sid on this topic. I basically agree that rape should be treated like every other bad crime. Your punishment will basically depend on who you are, if the Templar likes you/you are important enough to live, you pay them enough to get out of being killed and how important the victim of the rape is. However, I don't feel that it should be treated more harshly than murder and most likely, as in real life, it should be treated less harshly.

My reasoning for this is that rape is basically a crime that involves control and dominance and has little to do with sexual attraction or desire, and is more-so a play for power over a weaker individual. In a society where men and women are equal, men raping men might be just as common as men raping women. Considering that Zalanthas has no stigma's against women, gays, man-kank love.. and that the bulk of our player base is male. It really makes me stop and think about the mindset of a rapist and what the act really involves.  It is my personal opinion that most rapists would go for whatever they find the weakest.  

And of course, as Rae said, the consent rule states pretty clearly now, that you never, never have to consent to your PC being raped.

As for the topic header, I never think "The Man" is even a real person, but some computer screen looking down on me like Max Headroom. Sort of this asexual, policing force watching me from it's matrix like viewing screen in a pretty white room somewhere.

But for clarification purposes, I am pretty sure "The Man" in this scenario refers to the policing force in either city state. Lets not get all "you've hurt my sexual identity" on the topic, that's not what it's about and it shouldn't be derailed that way. The orginal poster makes it pretty clear that the topic is about how the Templaret would/should deal with a rape situation.

It's a valid question, and there have been some really good responses in this thread, lets try to cool the flaming and one line snickers. It would be appreciated if some of that was cleaned up so that we don't have to go in and start editing out stuff.
Sometimes I feel less like an immortal and more like a drug dealer.

I would assume that rape carries the same consequences as regular physical assault in Allanak. That is, if you are caught or reported, it will be dealt with as if the offender beat up the victim. If he/she/it is a commoner, I would guess that means very little investigation.
b]YB <3[/b]

QuoteAlso, there seems to be a presumption that women would be more likely targets of sexual assault. Not necessarily true in a world where women are no more defenseless than men.

Well, I'm guessing that while homosexuality is common and accepted in Zalanthas, the majority of people are still heterosexual. Since it's obviously impossible, or at least very hard and unlikely, for a woman to rape someone (at least if the victim is a man), the statistics would say that women are more often victims than men, not necessarily because men are more likely to want  to rape someone, but because they are.. uh, equipped to do it. And since the majority of people are heterosexual (or so I assume) then women would be the victims more often.

That's what I think.
b]YB <3[/b]

It is NOT impossible for a woman to rape a man...just interesting.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Women can also rape women, and men can also rape men. Or kanks.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Kanks can't say no.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

QuoteIt is NOT impossible for a woman to rape a man...just interesting.

I doubt a man who is in the process of being raped is physically capable of intercourse.
b]YB <3[/b]

Sodomy.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Two words:  foreign object.

Remember, sexual assault isn't entirely about sex.  It is also about power and even violence, it is about making the other guy feel helpless and afraid.  A female rapist may want to be the penetrator, not the penetrated.

However, even if she is looking for traditional sexual intercourse, that isn't out of the question.  The body responds to certain physical stimuli in specific ways, regardless of what the mind is thinking.  Mating behavior is handled by a fairly primitive part of the brain, and it doesn't always consult the frontal cortex for an opinion.  During sexual assault a woman may experience bits of her anatomy swelling and lubricating, even physical sensations of pleasure, despite the fact that she really isn't having a good time at all -- and it is still rape.  With many men you could jolly his little soldier into standing to attention even if he really, really didn't want to have sex with you.

Another option involves vacuum pumps and cock rings to create and maintain an unwilling erection, but I don't think Zalanthas has that technology.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Yeah, what AC said.  Also, always remember one word: Oral.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Aand this is just to add to what AC said.

In Norway, I can think of at least one case of a woman convicted for raping a man in last year.
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"

Another option involves vacuum pumps and cock rings to create and maintain an unwilling erection, but I don't think Zalanthas has that technology.

Wouldnt it be much easier and effective to just use a dildo?

Sexual assault is not as much about sexual pleasure itself. The feelings that drive the rapist involve dominating, humiliating and terrifying the victim.
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

Quote from: "Akaramu"

Like, to use on herself?  That wouldn't give her much sense of power over another person.  Some people get off on hurting others.

It it were just about sex, it would be less trouble to hire a cheap prostitute than to rape someone.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Hymwen"I doubt a man who is in the process of being raped is physically capable of intercourse.

You are very ignorant then.
Back from a long retirement

And with that, the newbie armistice came to an end.   Well, one whole day wasn't bad.

On topic, I have to say that I agree that rape/assault would be balanced in terms of gender for both victim and assailant.  It's about dominance and power, not sex, and besides there are a lot of different ways it can happen.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: "flurry"And with that, the newbie armistice came to an end.   Well, one whole day wasn't bad.

From a "Helper" too. Wonderful.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

QuoteYou are very ignorant then.

You are very impolite then. I know which one I prefer.
b]YB <3[/b]

Let's try to be understanding.  When you start and enter these discussions you have to realize that some people have some very personal feelings associated with them.

If you understood the experiences I've suffered from you wouldn't really be surprised if I become agitated when others express their ignorance, which in this case is harmful ignorance.
Back from a long retirement

Like, to use on herself?  That wouldn't give her much sense of power over another person.  Some people get off on hurting others.

Noooo. She use dildo on him, in the butt, you know.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"Two words:  foreign object.
Angela Christine

To illustrate AC's point, I'm both uncomfortable and aroused at the same time, responding to what she wrote.   :shock:

Sorry, humor is my defense mechanism.  I use it as a crutch so I don't have to challenge myself to think on this deep a level.

- HK
- HK

Quote from: "joyofdiscord"

Noooo. She use dildo on him, in the butt, you know.

That would work for him, but doesn't do much to physically stimulate her.  Basically she is just imitating a male-on-male rape.

Imposing an unnatural erection allows her to mount him and have nearly normal sex as part of the rape, except that she is the fucker rather than the fuckee.  It also allows her to see his face, see his emotions, something that is difficult to do from behind.  

I think it is a good thing that the game discourages sexual assault from being roleplayed.  I think that this thread shows that many people carry attitudes and expectations that simply wouldn't apply at all to Zalanthas, IE. women aren't rapists, women can't rape men, men don't get raped outside of prison (or other areas where women are unavailable).  These attitudes would either encourage unrealistic portrayals of Zalanthan rape, or people would freak out when a realistic but unexpected rape affected their characters.

My opinion of Zalanthan rape trends:

Most likely victims:  The Weak
Since women are as strong, agile and as likely to have combat training as the men, in Zalanthas women are not automatically going to be considered prey.  Instead you have:

The young:  Not necessarily children, I am going to go out on a limb and assume that pedophilia is something that still only affects a portion of the population, people may not be horrified by pedophilia but some adults simply won't be attracted to undeveloped bodies.  But adolescents have most of the equipment looking right, but still don't have the strength or skills they will have when they get older.  So I'd say 12-16 year olds are at particular risk.

The old:  The over 50 crowd still have all the right bits, even if it is getting a little saggy.  You can probably tell by looking which ones of them are likely to have had significant combat training, and which ones were just bakers or tailors, and avoid the ones who might still be dangerous despite their lower strength, lower agility, and failing eyesight.

The disabled:  No legs?  Yay!  That means you can't run away.

The poor:  Underfed people are often weak.  The are also unlikely to be able to buy justice from the government after the fact.

The racially disadvantaged:  Naturally this depends on the area where you are hunting.  An elf in a dominantly human neighbourhood, a human in a dominantly elf neighbourhood, an obvious half-elf in nearly any neighbourhood, etc.  Someone who doesn't belong, and who the locals are unlikely to try to help if they notice that something is going on.

Anyone alone in the wrong place at the wrong time:  If you are alone, then you are more easily subdued than a person in a group.  

Most likely rapists:  The weak.  The disadvantaged.  The angry.

Elves rape humans, not because they are attracted to humans but because they are oppressed by humans and want to get their own back.  It is an expression of hate and anger.

Humans rape elves, not because they are attracted to elves but because elves are scum who take the jobs, apartments and property that should rightfully belong to humans.  What have elves ever built?  Nothing.  But here they are in our city, living off us.  Parasites.  Filth.  It is an expression of hate and anger.

Least likely rapists:  

Anyone alone.  Since you can't always tell just by looking who is rightful prey and who is a ninja in a beggar costume, one-on-one rapes are probably less common than gang rapes.  Rape gangs may wander the bad parts of town looking for prey.  

The rich and powerful.  Ok, at first this might seem counter-intuitive, but stay with me.  Most of the time when a noble or wealthy person has non-consensual sex it won't be considered rape.  Having sex with a slave you own = not rape, because slaves are property not people.  If a noble or Templar tells you that she wants to have sex with you, you will probably agree even if you don't really want to, because of the implied threat of unpleasantness.  In America this might be considered coercion and still rape, but in Zalanthas probably only forcible rape is considered rape.  You agree to have sex with the noble because you don't want to offend her.  A rich person could commit forcible rape in an alley somewhere, but why would they?  People in alleys are dirty, smelly and diseased.  If you see something in the Gaj that you want, take it somewhere and have it clean up a bit before you touch it.

Likewise you might agree to have sex with your sergeant, boss, superior, etc., to keep him happy and not offend him.  In America this would be sexual harassment and coercion, but in Zalanthas it is probably just considered one of the perks of rank unless your organization specifically forbids it.

Least likely victims:

The rich and powerful.  These guys are usually healthy, often have some combat training, and usually have bodyguards or at least combat trained employees that will come to their aid.  The poor and disadvantaged may want to stick it to them, but there just aren't many opportunities to do so.  And the law or private security forces are likely to make things uncomfortable for the attacker after the fact.

Half-giants.  It is going to be a lot of work and not much fun for anyone but another half-giant to try to rape a half-giant.

Halflings.  Quite a squeeze, and OH GOD WHY WON"T IT STOP BITING!?!  You'll have to knock it unconscious to even try, and where's the fun in that?

Mantis.  Even worse than halflings, this thing will try to bite you with bits you weren't even sure were teeth.  Plus, exactly what part of it are you supposed to be raping?  You're not even sure if all mantises have sex organs, or breeders are a specialized caste.  Not to mention that whole hive-mind thing, that is likely to bring half the clutch down on you before you finish.   :shock:  Oh, and they are also ugly.  

I probably spend too much time thinking about this sort of thing.

Angela Christine

Gith To.. gith to. They are always alone in the desert.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime