ANSI COLOR (again)

Started by FightClub, November 26, 2005, 04:05:07 AM

Quote from: "bardess"I think, to keep it really simple:

PCs and NPCs one color.  "You" would also be colored, in whatever the PC color is (I like dark purple, personally).  The short desc would be colored (like in emotes and says) along with the long desc.

All normal text default color.

Objects a color, both long and short desc (I like dark green).

Maybe the "you are hungry" and "you are thirsty" a cyan (dark, the bright colors hurt some of us, but again, I'm open to anything).

Also, the heading of the room, perhaps also a dim cyan ("Radoon Street: [NE]").

This is very mild color, but it highlights everything you need.  Follow the same srot of thing for combat (which I know none of).  Words such as "brutally damages" or "Scrapes" (whatever) a red color, andspecial moves simply highlighted.

I think this keeps it moderate as the IMMs want (obviously because there is no color implemented) but it helps.  A lot.

--ShortAttentionSpanNeedsColor

This is the best that I've heard so far... Also, I think that room echos showing a direction should be highlighted. For example "The large burly halfling walks north."

This would help with not only making room activity more noticeable, but also help with following. I know when I played my first PC, I was being show around a place, following of course. After the tour, I had no better idea of where I had gone, that I did when I got there. ICly, I would have been a bit more familiar after the tour than when I started, right?

QuoteThe two-legged, dressed templar's gaze passes the poor, begging beggar as he motions for the strong, armed bodyguard and points his finger at the poor, begging beggar before making his way past the common commoner.

With some experience with SoI, I can tell I personally find this highly irritating. All I can see is that it's something about a templar, a bodyguard, a beggar and a commoner, and I have to concentrate real hard to see what's going on.
But that's me.
As long as there's a toggle, I wouldn't mind seeing something like this at all.
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

The real solution has been mentioned; if any code is adopted, make sure that it is a toggle so players are neither forced to endure a colorful, ora colorless world per their personal tastes.

Unlike the OP, I loathe ANSI graphics and associate them with H&S MUDs.

I enjoy the similarity between plain grey text in Armageddon and a novel, because I feel the two are very much alike.  I don't seem to have any trouble reading and filtering the text unless I'm in a room with 20 PC's all performing spam actions, but I'd still feel like I playing a video game more than participating in a living, breathing world.

However, I understand some people can't seem to live without bright flashy lights, so what do I care if I can toggle it off?  :wink:

-LoD

Quote from: "Hymwen"What I want is to be able to read emotes and speech more easily. Reading a two-line emote that includes the emoter and two other ~people can be very annoying.

Yeah, when I got back into Arm somewhat recently one of the first things I did was go to zuggsoft and start researching triggers so I could color arm.  I'd forgotten how much all that spam sucked.  heh.  Zmud just rocks.  You pay once and get a lifetime of upgrades.  The guy(s) keeps updating and making more sophisticated his client and I really respect that.  I'm sure there's no fortune to be had amongst mudders.  I'm not inviting a debate on this, I just thought I'd mention it.

As far as triggers and colors, yeah.  Probably similar to other clients, you can get as simple or as complicated as you want.  For example, I've read that when you're in a bar you can have the conversation at your table pop up in its own window while the entire bar is going in the main window.  I've organized a lot of triggers into folders from general "information" to battle, etc and it's really been a lot more easy on the eyes.  I work on a puter all day so this little bit of ease is appreciated.  The "#Echo" feature is something I use particularly heavy in triggers as it can echo back anything you want it to.

- HK
- HK

I actually have a nice trigger file for Armageddon, that colors things wonderfully so that they are noticeable but not gaudy, for Zmud. If folks show interest, I could see about getting it uploaded somewhere.

I wouldn't mind color as long as it was in white, light grey, and dark grey.  Maybe a few of the more readable colors.  There are some -really- bad colors out there that make me glad Arm doesn't have color.  I definitely don't think color should be everywhere, but a little bit for damage, languages, and such could be nice.  I do also find color harder to read at times.  The light grey is a perfect color too.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

As far as sharing, it looks like there's an option under file > export text and you can select which triggers / folders you want exported.  You could copy and paste the text into this board and then people could copy and paste that text into a txt file and choose file > import text within zmud's trigger window.  So we wouldn't even have to host a file we could juse use text on this board.

- HK
- HK

Quote from: "Only He Stands There"I actually have a nice trigger file for Armageddon, that colors things wonderfully so that they are noticeable but not gaudy, for Zmud. If folks show interest, I could see about getting it uploaded somewhere.

yeah, that'd be great

- HK
- HK

I have to give credit where credit is due, first off: most of this is made possible by past posts by Delirium, Larrath, and especially Freman Scum.

This was designed for ZMud with standard snot-green output, yellow input colors with a black background. You may want to tinker them to your liking; if you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me.

The general scheme is as follows:

Hunger/thirst warnings in dark orange.
Dehydrated/starving warnings/sufferings in dark red.
Combat hits in dark red.
Combat misses in grey (originally they were blacked out but I decided to leave them in; if you want them blacked out change all instances of #co grey to #co darkgrey).
All languages (just the words, not the lines) in silver, to better spot them/remind you what you're speaking.
Usage of the Way (contact, break, foreign presence, withdrawal) in orange.
Suffering from the way in a dark orange, a different hue than hunger/thirst.
OOC in dark blue.
Your feels/thinks in grey.
Animal refusing to move in dark red.
<worn on/in/around/across whatever> in grey - useful for sorting out what someone is wearing, as opposed to tattooes. Only the <worn blah> section is colored; the item itself remains normal.
Sandstorm messages in dark orange.
Magick incantations being uttered (the stock "So-and-so utters an incantation" message only, nothing else) in dark red.

The words gith, templar, tarantula, mekillot, scrab, etc etc etc are labelled in white - which won't have any effect if you're using white text in the first place. This ONLY affects animals (templar included ;)) which are mentioned in the documents; if you want others you know about, add them yourself. I removed any undocumented creature from it.

I've removed all IC information and personally-pertinent triggers (char names, etc) from the file. It should be good to use, and given some tinkering to your own tastes, I'm sure it'll be at least marginally useful. :)

#CLASS {Colors} {enable}
#CLASS 0
#CLASS {Colors|Combat} {enable}
#CLASS 0
#CLASS {Colors|Combat|Hits} {enable}
#TRIGGER { and knocks you over} {#co darkred}
#TRIGGER {rolls with your charge} {#co darkred}
#TRIGGER {nimbly avoids your bash} {#co darkred}
#TRIGGER {sends you sprawling} {#co darkred}
#TRIGGER {but fumble and drop your own weapon instead} {#co darkred}
#TRIGGER {*heroically darts in front of you, and knocks you out of the way! } {#co darkred}
#TRIGGER {*leaps in front of you, protecting you from harm! } {#co darkred}
#CLASS 0
#CLASS {Colors|Combat|Misses} {enable}
#TRIGGER {tough skin} {#co grey}
#TRIGGER {swiftly dodges} {#co grey}
#TRIGGER {viciously leap} {#co grey}
#TRIGGER {deftly parry} {#co grey}
#TRIGGER {blow is deftly deflected} {#co grey}
#TRIGGER {parries} {#co grey}
#TRIGGER {dodge} {#co grey}
#CLASS 0
#CLASS {Colors|Language} {enable}
#TRIGGER {You contact %1 with use of the Way.} {#co orange}
#TRIGGER {A foreign presence contacts your mind.} {#co orange}
#TRIGGER {You dissolve the psychic link} {#co orange}
#TRIGGER {You sense a presence withdraw from your mind} {#co orange}
#TRIGGER {You suffer from use of the Way} {#co darkgoldenrod}
#TRIGGER {^You think} {#co grey}
#TRIGGER {^You feel} {#co grey}
#TRIGGER {out of character} {#cw darkblue}
#TRIGGER {telepathic} {#co orange}
#TRIGGER {sirihish} {#cw silver}
#TRIGGER {allundean} {#cw silver}
#TRIGGER {mirukkim} {#cw silver}
#TRIGGER {bendune} {#cw silver}
#TRIGGER {tatlum} {#cw silver}
#TRIGGER {cavilish} {#cw silver}
#TRIGGER {anyar} {#cw silver}
#TRIGGER {an unfamiliar tongue} {#cw brown}
#CLASS 0
#CLASS {Colors|Names} {enable}
#TRIGGER {gith} {#CW bold,white}
#TRIGGER {templar} {#CW bold,white}
#TRIGGER {raptor} {#CW bold,white}
#TRIGGER {anakore} {#CW bold,white}
#TRIGGER {beetle} {#CW bold,white}
#TRIGGER {tarantula} {#CW bold,white}
#TRIGGER {mekillot} {#CW bold,white}
#TRIGGER {gortok} {#CW bold,white}
#TRIGGER {bahamet} {#CW bold,white}
#TRIGGER {halfling} {#CW bold,white}
#TRIGGER {scrab} {#CW bold,white}
#CLASS 0
#CLASS {Colors|Misc}
#TRIGGER {refuses to move} {#co darkred}
#TRIGGER {You are getting hungry} {#co darkorange}
#TRIGGER {You are getting thirsty} {#co darkorange}
#TRIGGER {You are famished} {#co bold,darkred}
#TRIGGER {You are dehydrated} {#co bold,darkred}
#TRIGGER {You suffer from dehydration} {#co bold,darkred}
#TRIGGER {You are starving.} {#co bold,darkred}
#TRIGGER {^<worn %1>} {#cw grey}
#TRIGGER {^<hung from %1>} {#cw grey}
#TRIGGER {^Stinging sand swirls around you.} {#co goldenrod}
#TRIGGER {^Terrible, biting sand whips around you.} {#co goldenrod}
#TRIGGER {utters an incantation.$} {#co darkred}
#CLASS 0

Instructions:

(*)Copy previous post to text file.

(*)In ZMUD, click VIEW->Triggers.

(*)In the "Settings" window that opens, click FILE->Import text...

(*)Browse to and open the text file you made earlier.

(*)Review triggers to make sure they're all in working order. The <worn %1> trigger displays a warning, but still works.

(*)Adjust colors to your preference.

Enjoy!

Thanks man, you rock!

- HK
- HK

Quit question about Zmud. Sorry, but how do you get the toolbar to stop having the same line you previously entered saved on your curser?
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

Okay, I need to ask, because some of these colors don't work for my scheme, where you get the actual color names from like goldenrod and stuff like that.

***Nevermind, found it. Under help in zmud, there's a color picker option.****

Thanks, Only!

Quote from: "Cegar"Quit question about Zmud. Sorry, but how do you get the toolbar to stop having the same line you previously entered saved on your curser?

The Zmud help system isn't very intuitive, is it?

Anyway, Prefs -> General -> Command Line -> Auto Clear Input

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Oh, and anyone taking this opportunity to try zmud, if you want to use the automapper go to https://www.blacktron.com/arm/zmud.html  It takes a little work to get the mapper to work properly in Arm.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Where would someone input the text file if, per se, they are using zmud 4.62, hypothetically?

Perhaps I'm not naming the text file right (mud.txt?) to have it be registered as an importable file.  Does anyone know what the heck I'm doing wrong?

I click view, then triggers, then there's no settings or import option.  If I ignore the first two steps (view>triggers), then I can find an import option under the settings menu, but it refuses to recognize the file as importable (does not even show up under browse, and when c/p'd, the import window then comes up, with no option to do a dayam thing.

I'm normally not compustupid, but I need some help here.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

You could try to cut & paste the text into the input line, that's what I did.

AC