Population

Started by Intrepid, November 17, 2005, 02:31:09 PM

I've been catching up from my hiatus from game by reading the well-
written world documents in the General Information section of the site
and noted that the number of bards in New Tuluk is 2000 (!).

This has me wondering what the overall population demographic is for
Zalanthas by race--if this has been defined, that is.  Also, what the
population breakdowns are in each known settlement and tribe too.

It seems like it would make a great addition to the General Information
page, though it would have to be dated a bit.  It does also make one
wonder: With all the death, destruction and mayhem going on in the
Known World, is the world population declining or still increasing?
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

I'll let someone else answer, but I can't help but consider:

the bony, eleven fingered dwarf

Focus: To take an accurate census of all humanoid population types

think I've a natural advantage, elven fingers!

Wow.  That would be an awesome focus.

Quote from: "Dakurus"think I've a natural advantage, elven fingers!

Wouldn't a dwarf with elven fingers be laughed at by all the other dwarves, and probably the elves too?  :wink:

..that was me.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

pretty sure he meant 'eleven' not 'elven'
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

I think considering both interpretations extends the humorous nature of the comment.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

We're in the process of trying to find the information.  We wrote it up once, but didn't publish it.  Will potentially let you know when we find it.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

There was a thread in the archives.. Sanvean posted some numbers. Wonder  where it went.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

QuoteI think people tend to over/underestimate populations, and so these figures might be helpful to people trying to envision the world. The staff sat down and worked out a list a few years ago, but somehow, it's vanished. Here's a few guesses, off the top of my head, and other staff can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Allanak: 350-400k, including villages
Northlands: same number, more dispersed
Luirs: 3-5k
Tyn Dashra: 2k
Tablelands: 20k in nomadic tribes (elves/dwarves)
Red Storm: 2-3k
Anyali: 2k (counting all 3 tribes)

Here it is! Enjoy.

Semper Pax,

Dirr

Tyn Dashra...!? What's that? Or what was that?
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

It was a settlement in the red desert I believe.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

If you do not know what it is, learn about it ICly.

It wouldn't neccessarily be known by just anyone.

Of course, there is always confusing info as well.

There was a post on the old GDB, maybe 8 years ago, that put the population of Allanak at 700k.  Of course, maybe a few hundred thousand starved to death.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

The figures Dirr posted are the correct ones.  The population numbers of Zalanthas were originally very vague.  A while back as part of our efforts to clean up discrepancies we came up with those estimates (also found here http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1002):

Some points to remember:

Note that Allanak is counting the villages and surrounding areas, which bumps the number up by 150-200k.

The built world is not the actual world.  Allanak is assuredly much more complex and complicated, full of warrens and alleyways and all sorts of stuff.  I'd love to do a mud set in a single city at some point, but as things stand, remember you are moving in a representation of the game world which has been simplified to allow play.

These figues take into account the major food/water supplies for the cities known to staff.  None of us do population modeling as a living and there's probably at least a few flaws, but they're also the figures a lot of calculations in the game are based on, so we'll stick with them.

Decrease the Allanak population by 1 in those figures please. The scrab ate well last night.

These numbers appear to be fairly good approximations of what is actually in the game world.  I remember asking the same question a few times myself and recalled the thread it was posted but didn't find it again until now--thanks for digging it back up!
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

Works for me.

Thank you very much, Dirr and Sanvean. :)