Your GDB Reading Habits

Started by Sanvean, November 07, 2005, 02:46:42 PM

What is your GDB philosophy?

The GDB has too much noise (off topic stuff) on it; it's not useful to me.
41 (45.6%)
The GDB works fine as it is.
38 (42.2%)
The GDB needs less moderation, not more.  Viva la Revolution!
11 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: December 07, 2005, 02:46:42 PM

The staff is trying to get a better feel for how much moderation is needed on the GDB.

Questions that have been raised that I'd like feedback on.

Does a small group of players dominate the boards and make other players feel like they can't post.? If you're a habitual non-poster, can I ask you to break that habit and say why?

How frustrating is it when topics gets derailed?  Does it make the board less useful to you?  What would you like to see happen?

What do you want/get from the boards?  What needs would you like to see them fulfilling that they're not now?

What forums are useful/enjoyable and what should be trimmed, if any?

I voted, the GDB is just fine, because even there are some unneccesary voices raising, I do not think moderation is a solution, in other words, I do not think there is a solution anyway. Moderation brings extra responsibilities for IMMs, also some misunderstandings harm the relation between players and staff. Our GDB could be better, but it is fine enough for me.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Quote from: "Sanvean"
Does a small group of players dominate the boards and make other players feel like they can't post?
I'm not really aware of any such cliques, myself.

How frustrating is it when topics gets derailed?  Does it make the board less useful to you?  What would you like to see happen?
Derailment is both necessary and frustrating.  I've had a couple of my own posts that went practically unanswered beyond the derailment, and I did feel frustration at it.  However, we as the GDB community also need a place to express ourselves, which includes derailment.
I think that the ideal solution is to have a third Derailment thread, wherein any post older than 20 days will be automatically deleted.  I think it would be a good balance between system memory and posting freedom, and it also helps to lower the noise in the real threads.

I'd like to see two changes in the board:
First of all, logged in users should be able to post anonymously.  This will let them edit their posts, and also stay anonymous in clan boards.
Second, it might be nice if the original poster in each thread would be able to move worthless posts away from their thread and into some garbage thread.  If the post was moved unjustly then the staff could put it back there, but otherwise I think it could really curb derailments and flames.

(A deleted post, in the thread where it has been deleted, would be shown as one line containing the name of who deleted and their explanation, also to prevent abuse.)
What do you want/get from the boards?  What needs would you like to see them fulfilling that they're not now?
When I was a newer player, I primarily wanted information about the game, in order to get along better ICly.  Threads about topics like common swearwords and idoms, and general city-state culture and the differences between the locations have all been helpful.
Nowadays, the threads I find most helpful and interesting are the ones in the Roleplaying and Code forums; examples of which would be the current thread about lying (RP board) and the dehydration rate and kanks (Code).

I think that the forum that needs trimming is the Archives, and the reason is this; the GDB has a circular nature.  Almost every 'good thread' has already been raised once or twice in the past.  However, these threads are buried in the Archives where they're both ignored and impossible to reply to.
What I think should be done is to remove (or cross-post) these threads into their appropriate forums, and make them Sticky.
This way, they won't be brought up again and again and again... and if someone wants to read the cream of the crop, they can just go to the archive forum.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

QuoteDoes a small group of players dominate the boards and make other players feel like they can't post?

Yes.  There are several very "loud" voices on the GDB who will argue things to death under the guise of "defending" their argument when in reality it's simply that they can't let someone else have the last post on a subject.  If you haven't persuaded your audience in one post and one defense, you're sunk.  If you have something completely new to say on the subject, that's different, but any thread in which 3-4 posts in a page are nothing but picking apart someone else's argument one quote at a time is dead to me, and unlikely to be anything in which I'll find useful information.  At this point, the topic is fit for nothing but the "mark all topics read" button.

QuoteHow frustrating is it when topics gets derailed? Does it make the board less useful to you? What would you like to see happen?

I dislike it when topics get completely derailed for two reasons.  The first is that it disguises useful information.  A newbie looking for information on the T'zai Byn might not think to look in a thread titled "Kanks", even though the topic has somehow diverged from the T'zai Byn to the fact that kank can't climb out of holes that patrols ride them into.  The second is that derailing tends to be synonymous with the degeneration of the usefulness of a topic.  If it's worth posting a derailing thread on, it's probably worth its own topic, with perhaps a post in the original thread pointing to the new topic.  A warning ("This thread is starting to derail") followed by a few deletes-with-explanation ("your post was too off topic.  If you'd like to make a new thread, feel free") should be sufficient encouragement for players to alter their posting patterns.

QuoteWhat do you want/get from the boards? What needs would you like to see them fulfilling that they're not now?

I'd like to see an area specifically for informative posting or questioning.  Right now, "Ask the Players" and "Ask the Staff" perform that function, but they're so cluttered with things that aren't all that relevant that it can be hard to find useful data in the noise.  It would be nice if there were a completely separate area to ask, "What is isilt?" instead of having to post that in the same forum that someone is posting, "Should magickers all be forced to wear top hats?"  I'm not suggesting we get rid of the "What's your opinion?" forums or posts, just that we need a separate area for people to ask information-type questions.  "Ask the Helpers", perhaps.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Quote from: "Sanvean"Does a small group of players dominate the boards and make other players feel like they can't post.?

Rather than this, I feel like there are certain posters who are extremely unfriendly towards questions from newbies and who go a long way towards making the MUD in general seem that much less friendly.

QuoteDoes a small group of players dominate the boards and make other players feel like they can't post.?

Yes, but not in the same way that you might think.

QuoteHow frustrating is it when topics gets derailed?

I've gotten used to it.

QuoteDoes it make the board less useful to you?

I suppose.

QuoteWhat do you want/get from the boards?

Gameworld discussion, issues with the code, roleplaying etiquette, ect. These things are already discussed but there's often little staff response (crime code). In the end it can seem pointless.

QuoteWhat needs would you like to see them fulfilling that they're not now?

The idiocy of many players is revealed pretty well by the forums...I'm not sure.

I don't think the GDB can generate that many topics without resorting to silly/ridiculous/OOC things. If these people want to do those things, let's just keep them in the OOC Chatter. Redundancy is also inevitable.

QuoteDoes a small group of players dominate the boards and make other players feel like they can't post.?

I think there are some people who post often that may not have the best approach, information or presentation of their thoughts.  Some people have felt newbie questions are treated unfairly, or that a post came off as sarcastic, elitist or hostile.  This happens, and I think that everyone could  be more aware of the tone of their speech.

I appreciate good open debate and don't mind seeing the same people posting back and forth as long as the posters bring about new material, support their opinions with facts and/or examples and keep a neutral tone of voice.  Forums are never going to be perfect, but hopefully they can remain civil and informative.

QuoteHow frustrating is it when topics gets derailed? Does it make the board less useful to you? What would you like to see happen?

The things that frustrate me are the one-liner replies that don't really have anything new to add and seem more like an attempt to derail and get some attention (Look at my funny post, LOLZORZ!).  While I don't think it's worth moderating, I wish less people would add those kinds of replies to topics where someone is trying to make a point or debate.  Perhaps if the same poster seems to constantly be adding these types of replies they could be warned.

QuoteWhat forums are useful/enjoyable and what should be trimmed, if any?

I find all of the forums useful except for "Idle OOC Chatter" and "Player Announcements".  I realize the need for OOC Chatter because some people apparently would explode if they couldn't have some forum dedicated for silliness.  The Player Announcements I don't find useful because I personally stray from the "we already know each other" character setups for my characters.

-LoD

...things are fine the way they are...
...also not aware of any cliques...
(well, acception being AC's clique of one - but s/he has awesome posts)
:-D

...staff does good moderation at this point I would stay steady at the helm if the computer can handle it.  Maybe move the gdb to its own machine?
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Does a small group of players dominate the boards and make other players feel like they can't post.? If you're a habitual non-poster, can I ask you to break that habit and say why?

I think certain people post often. And all you need to do is look at the top twenty to see who that is. I don't think anyone particular dominates the board however. It's an open forum.

The only thing I really don't like is when "weathered" players down talk  a newbie opinion because they are new and might not understand things, instead of explaining issues and being helpful. This can often make a new player less likely to post future opinions and questions.

It also annoys me to no end when people reply with one-sentence snipes to questions, that have no benefit whatsoever except to make the original poster feel stupid and to up their post count.

As long as it doesn't fly completely south, it doesn't bother me.

Information and discussion on the game world. I look for better ways to do things. Learn about things that I didn't know before and to help other people that have questions.

The GDB was a big help to me when I was a new player, so I like to make sure it's a friendly environment for other new players.

And I think I get all that from the board currently.

The forums I look at most are Ask the Staff, World Discussion, RP discussion, Ask the players and whatever clan I am in. OOC Discussion if there is something there that peeks my interest. Most of the time I refresh the last 24 hours of postings.

I think we could do without General Clan Discussion. I don't thing anyone even posts there.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

some people are assholes about grammer and gamming ideas

but the place is fine to me.
dd my msn if you want, longvaladrien@hotmail.com

I'm not sure if anyone's noticed, but I have been posting a lot less in the past few months. Off-topic stuff has never bothered me. Making fun of mansa's dancing and other innocent joking is part of the reason I come to the boards... it's entertaining to read, and entertaining to write on.
So why have I been posting less? Length. Back in the day, it was a rare thing when a topic reached four or five pages. It meant it was a hot or interesting issue, and probably well worth wading through several dozen posts, even if some of them were jokes or reiteration. But nowadays, it seems like six, seven, eight page long topics are the norm. And I simply don't have time for it.
Moderators sometimes lock threads on the charge that a similiar thread already exists. So GDB users find and ressurect the old thread, and it balloons into a bloated ten-page-long Frankenstein monster of a debate that I'll never get a chance to read with my busy schedule.
I can't say whether I'm against "more" moderation or not. It's too broad a question to answer. I like some types of moderation, and other types I'm not crazy about. But if we could somehow cut back on the twenty-page-long topics, I'd be happy.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

My personal feelings...

I log in to check the clan board. Every once in a while I'll scan the new posts list to see if there's a topic that looks interesting, and then scan that topic for any imm responses to see if its gotten anywhere.

Beyond that, the forums are filled with so much, well... to put it franky, BS, that I don't find them worth reading.

Quote from: "Sanvean"Does a small group of players dominate the boards and make other players feel like they can't post.? If you're a habitual non-poster, can I ask you to break that habit and say why?
I can't really say that a there are cliques, either.  But you can tell who the "regulars" are. I'm not a habitual poster since I really don't have much to add to the discussion that hasn't already been said and re-worded and said again.  I'm usually quiet and in the background in real life, too. So, I'll usually chime in a discussion if I have something constructive or interesting to add.

QuoteHow frustrating is it  when topics gets derailed?  Does it make the board less useful to you?  What would you like to see happen?
It is pretty frustrating. Especially when it is a very interesting topic. It usually takes one joke post to get the ball rolling. But, like someone said above, I think I'm getting used to it.

QuoteWhat do you want/get from the boards?  What needs would you like to see them fulfilling that they're not now?
I love the boards. I get clarification of the help docs and lots RP tips. And the OOC boards are nice for non-Arm related stuff.

I think they are all useful. If you wanted to combine, I'm thinking :General/World/Ask the players?  Hrm, after that's I'm stuck.
 got caught at school with my hands down my pants and had to keep it down there for  a whole week.......What a week!
~Chris, Family Guy

QuoteDoes a small group of players dominate the boards and make other players feel like they can't post.? If you're a habitual non-poster, can I ask you to break that habit and say why?
There are some strong personalities that frequent the boards.  I'll leave it at that.

To be honest it depends on the derailment.  Most don't bother me too much with the exception of two types.  One is the the personal agenda type.  Someone hijacking a thread, never really addressing the original post, but using the post as a foot in the door to rant about something they want to have changed, or to complain about something they don't like.  The second is the total derailment into total unrelated silliyness.  I like seeing a little humor in the posts, as long as it is somewhat related to the subject. The ooc forum I really don't care.

Oh and to echo other comments. I hate one liner responses.

QuoteWhat do you want/get from the boards? What needs would you like to see them fulfilling that they're not now?
I would like to see a heavily moderated newbie forum, and call it such.  Perhaps a forum where only helpers can respond, and are required to adhere to a strict set of conduct.  One of the better guides I have seen for this are the guidelines set forth by a writers critique group listed here.  Yes, this is a critique group, but much of the content is applicible.  I would also like it so that "for the person that asked a question in the ask the newbie/ ask the staff..." type of posts squelched.

In short I would like to see a place where newbies can ask a question and get a clear hopefully nonconflicting, non insulting answer.  A place where people can feel comfortable asking stupid questions.

I think the general forum and the world forum seem to blur in content.   I would feel comfortable in combining them.  I still find it hard sometimes to locate old content overall.  The keywords are too similar to do an effective search. One example that comes to mind  is an excellent post someone did where they posted a sample special application.  For the life of me, I can not find that post again.  It would be useful if phpBB had a way of flagging interesting posts.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

I tend to view the GDB like Facehugger.

I skim all of the forums other then my house board and staff announcements which I read like it's compulsory.

When a topic comes up that seems to be new or relevant I read it in other forums, but rarely.

I find that it's mostly because most everything that has been posted there, was discussed before. And even when new topics do appear, it seems to be the same argument that smashed the last one down coming back again.

In the end though, I think they should stay as they are for the most part. I godly portion of what I know about Arm came from the GDB, and though I've never been a big poster on it, I certainly made good use of reading it over the years. It just seems that now, I've seen/heard most of the arguments that come up and it's not as important to go through as it is for a newer player.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Quote from: "Sanvean"How frustrating is it when topics gets derailed?
It depends.  There's different types of derailments.  There's the We think your question is silly so we are going to shit all over your thread type of derailment that I find frustrating and insulting to the OP but it rarely happens.  A succession of 3 short quirky tangent posts in the middle of a thread full of content doesn't bother me.
QuoteDoes it make the board less useful to you?
Nope.  If it's that important to stay on topic I'd just post asking people to please do so.
QuoteWhat would you like to see happen?
Some sort of uniform approach to moderation by the staff as it still seems that there's the occasional different approach between immortals.  In a perfect world there'd be a single moderator for this board and then everyone would have a better chance of knowing what was appropriate instead of a situation where one Immortal sees no problem and another locks a thread.

Locking threads should be an absolute last resort and only the case of a thread devolved into flames in my opinion.  Locking threads runs counter to the whole point of a discussion board if you ask me, especially on a low traffic one such as the GDB.

I tend to make liberal use of the "mark all topics as read" link due to the tendency of threads to degenerate into nothing useful.  A lot of topics also seem to get beat to death, a slew of useless topics always come up now and again (which includes whining and ranting threads), and topics that pop up again and again.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I usually find the GDB useful when the staff and sometimes players define really specific rules that have never been made clear in the past.

Other than that, I find nearly all other posts useless in the sense that they're just people's opinions that won't help or change my view of Armageddon.

I am one of those people that reads the GDB alot, but rarely posts.

I actually do find the GDB to be helpful, and when I was a newer player, it was extremely helpful for me to read about different issues. But, I also had the experience that if I asked questions on the GDB, that it was a very real possiblity that someone would post to say something to make me feel stupid, or that my question was something I -should- have been able to figure out on my own. Some of the people that would post those kinds of posts are not seen posting on the GDB anymore. *cough* Carnage *cough*

Now that I'm a more experienced player, I am finding more and more that the same threads just keep repeating themselves. I usually do not post on them, because a lot of the time people have already beat it to death by the time I get a chance to read them, or have referenced to the sixteen previous threads about the same topic.

The sections that I read religiously are my clan sections, and the Staff Announcements. The other important ones that I hit are General discussion, Code discussion, RP discussion and Ask the Staff. Ones that I generally skip over are OOC chatter/General Clan Talk/Player Announcements.

I like the GDB, it is a good resource both for older players and new players. It is unfortunate when good threads get derailed and lose the trail, but from time to time, the derails actually bring up good points as well. I wish that there was a way to continue on with a derailed discussion, but as a side thread to the original.

As far as moderation is concerned, I'd hate to see more. I think where it is now, is pretty good. We, as players, need to be able to see when a thread is out of control and get it back on track. I hate to see the Imms having to spend time patrolling the GDB, when I'm sure it is more fun for them (and us) when they get to spend their time in game.

Humm...I think that is just about all my two sids worth...
-Irulan
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."

Quote from: "Sanvean"Does a small group of players dominate the boards and make other players feel like they can't post.?

I'd say that this might be true.  There are times when I don't post on a topic because the thread has already degenerated into off-topic nonsense.

I do find it frustrating.  It makes it less useful in the sense that it means having to wade through the off-topic posts and filter out some of the mean-spirited snarky posts.

One thought that occured to me when reading this thread is that it might be nice if the board had a way to 'alert' for posts that cross the line with flaming, IC info, etc.  That might make moderating easier or at least let the staff know what kinds of things the GDB community find problematic.  I know we -could- email staff, but even with as much of that crap that gets posted, I can't bring myself to email staff and say "hey, check out what this person posted about void mages on this thread."  I would, though, click on an 'alert' flag if that option were available if the post was egregious enough.

Mostly information and reading opinions of staff and other players about Zalanthas and roleplay.

Personally, I'd just like to see less noise, but I'd prefer that be due more to people being more considerate rather than due to heavy moderation.

I like them all except for the OOC forum.   However, if it keeps the drivel down to a minimum on the other forums, it does serve a good function.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

I don't care how many times someone posts, so long as it is intilligent.  If Swordsman, Tlaloc, Sanvean, Armaddict, or LoD (not a complete list) posted 50 times a day, I would probably read every post because they almost always post something insightful.  There are other people who post a lot that I would block without a second thought if I could.

I don't mind fluid discussions.  If a topic starts on Templar RP and flows to noble RP, I don't really mind all that much.  That is just a fluid conversation.  On the other hand, if a topic starts on Templar RP and it flows to stupid one silly off topic one liners, I get a little irritated.  I wouldn't waste any tears if those got deleted.

One thing that really concerns me is the response to newbie questions.  I can't help be cringe when a newbie asks an innocent and honest question and seven ass holes respond with sarcastic comments about how they should find out IC.  Now, telling someone to find out IC is an okay response for many questions, but it has to be done with some gentle care.  You need to explain why finding out IC is the way to go and maybe give some pointers as to where to start.  I would much rather see newbie questions get no response then seven asshole responses.

I would like to see a newbie board.  Everyone who joins the GDB get access to the newbie board.  Then just add a simple "one strike and you are out policy" on using it.  If you post something sarcastic, assholeish, or simply unhelpful and off topic, that is your one strike and you get the ability to post on that board revoked for a year.  Be strict and use bans from the newbie board liberally.  The threat alone would probably weed out most stupid comments, and the people that post anyways would quickly be weeded out and get their responses deleted.  Further, it would serve as a centralized place for newbies to go check out and see the answers to commonly asked questions.  Newbies could ask questions, get intelligent responses, and all the off topic banter and asshole responses would be kept out.

I, for one, never post on the GDB. But I enjoy reading them, I find the suggestions and posts from various players helps me to understand the game world a little better. As for the long bitching posts..I skip it.

Over all, I enjoy the GDB as it is right now.
Quote from: Majikal on August 20, 2009, 05:53:09 PM

Running after Carru, catching them, then eating them while they are still breathing is a Red Fang's version of 'fast food'.

Quote from: "Sanvean"Does a small group of players dominate the boards and make other players feel like they can't post.? If you're a habitual non-poster, can I ask you to break that habit and say why?

I read a lot but don't post much, partly because I feel like other people can answer questions better than I do and partly because I do sometimes get intimidated that somebody loud and regular might come after my replies with their mighty jaws of flaming doom.

QuoteHow frustrating is it when topics gets derailed?  Does it make the board less useful to you?  What would you like to see happen?

A bit of derailing is okay, if it relates to the larger topic. Threads about the need for thirst rates to be increased could probably tangent into hunger rates and how easy it is to stay fed, and it wouldn't bother me. But huge derailments, especially when they're just somebody soapboxing, make me skip the rest of the thread.

QuoteWhat do you want/get from the boards?  What needs would you like to see them fulfilling that they're not now?

I read the forums to stay updated, mostly. Sometimes there are good discussions about the game or roleplay that make me analyze my characters a bit and help me feel like I'm playing more consistently. Other times you catch helpful tips that might make your pcs live a little longer.

As far as what I'd like to see the boards do more, I'd love to see more use come out of the clan forums. I tend to feel most connected to my pc's current clan, and I love it when there's useful discussion in those. More IC rumors on clan forums would be great too, but I guess maybe IC rumorboards take care of that.

I read Staff Announcements and Ask the Staff and my clan forums as top priority. General/Code/RP Discussion and Ask the Players come next, I read them whenever I feel like.

Player Announcements and the APM I don't read much... I figure APM posts could be stuck in OOC chatter and we'd be fine. I guess we need Player Announcements so people can organize their super raider familes of doom and announce when they're leaving/returning, but I don't pay much attention to that stuff.

And OOC chatter I don't read too much, but it's a necessary evil just so we have somewhere to put nonrelevant things.

General Clan Talk seems to have degenerated into two topics only:
1) "How do I join the Byn / where are the Byn recruiters" and
2) "OMG come join d-elf tribe XYZ we are so cool."  :P

The one thing I would most like to see gone on the GDB are thoughtless posts and people who don't think before posting. I don't want to name names, but please, if your reply is just going to be one and a half mostly irrelevant sentences without proper punctuation or grammar... either fix it or don't post, please?

I think it's fine the way it is currently. It is much better than it was about a year ago and I'd like it to keep some of the flexibility that it currently has.

I don't believe there are really any "cliques" on the board.

Off-topic posts don't really bother me much so long as people keep it down a bit and don't completely destroy a discussion with post after post of off-topic nonsense. A little is fine and fun at times, alot is rather irritating.

One line answers don't bother me at all. I don't see anything wrong with posting that your thoughts on a particular subject are pretty much identical the ones that have been posted already.

I've found that someone might post something that I hadn't thought of before which is an interesting idea/angle on a subject and sends me off on ideas as well.

I sort of like the idea someone had of a newbie board, that would be a nice way for new players to ease into the community because not everyone, (myself included, who has a tendency to be short with people at times) is as gentle with new people as they could be.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I do skim the boards and find things useful from time to time, but as one person said topics get beaten to -death- It's like I need to be ready to read pages and pages and pages of information on things like whether or not chain is made of bone or hair?  That topic was like 6 pages long full of posts that were pages long in themselves.  It's like I have an apartment with a bone chain in the desc why does there need to be that long of a discussion on how it was made etc?

I also found that some people are quick to snap at you even people that are obviously new to the game and quite scarcastic, instead of helpful or friendly or accepting one another's opinions.  I generally don't post to much in the GDB because because topics get "over-killed" so quickly.  Lots of long reptetitive posts without people actually saying anything or it turning into bickering.  I like the OOC chat because it just seems more casual and relaxed there.

I also think there should be a newbie forum where any questions regarding the documentation or things like that, as well as an open-minded place to welcome newbs that way people aren't loading up the forums with things like how do you play an elf?  Read the docs.  Such questions would be more tolerable in a forum dedicated to newbie questions and if posted in the wrong area, they could be moved to the Newbie Forum for members who are willing to help out newbs.

I also think that the higher up's IMMS and such should interject more clearly whenever there is a long standing bicker about the way things should be done like certain RP and such.  The IMMs decide karma so in a way they decide how the game should be played as well they are experts on the documentation.  Plus maybe that would end some of the bickering quicker.

QuoteDoes a small group of players dominate the boards and make other players feel like they can't post.? If you're a habitual non-poster, can I ask you to break that habit and say why?

I read the boards habitually but I don't really post that often. Usually I just wait for Rindan, jhunter, or a couple other people to post their opinions since I find myself agreeing with them 99% of the time. In fact, just the other day I was about to post on a topic, went to the bathroom, and when I came back Rindan had posted the exact thoughts that had been going through my head. Nearly verbatim. It was a little scary, but I guess us Massholes think alike. Anyhow, like Rindan said earlier there are some people who I wouldn't mind posting all day long and others who I wish I could set to ignore entirely. Am I intimidated by certain groups and made to feel that I shouldn't post? No. If I feel I have something to add to a conversation that Rindan hasn't already tackled, I'll toss it out there. :p

It doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the better-than-thou crowd that constantly feel they need to belittle other posters. I'm also bothered by posters who spew large quantities of inane shit all over a thread. But I'm more than capable of scrolling past it.

I enjoy conversations on the board that focus on roleplay and the gameworld and cause me to analyze the way I'm playing my own characters. This is why I read the forums.

I don't read OOC chatter too much, but there isn't any forum I'd say to give the axe. What I'd like to see is a sort of ranking system for posts like they have on slashdot.org. Posts there get scored 1-5 and given classifications such as "interesting", "insightful", "humorous", etc. But in the end, that's added work and the quantity of posts that this board generates probably doesn't warrant it.
I hope life isn't just one big joke, because I don't get it.  -- Jack Handy

Hmm.

POSTERS

There are certainly some 'louder' posters -- those people who somehow manage to reply to every single topic in existence.  It doesn't really bother me, except when their only contribution to the conversation is a direct quote from someone else.  If you want to say something, have the sense to do it in your own words.  

I usually only post on things which seem interesting, or when I find that I strongly agree or disagree with a particular topic.  

DERAILMENT

As for derailment... it really depends on the starting topic itself.  The serious ones, especially those where a lot of people are trying to participate, should obviously stay on topic.  Others, however, were meant to be derailed...jokes, layed back topics, general polls, boredom questions, etc.  And yes, I am in favor of allowing such topics, because we need not be a pack of tightasses, and showing a little colorful personality isn't so bad.

CONTENT

I read the boards because I am a part of the community.  The MUD is for roleplaying, but here on the GDB, we can get to know our fellow players.  As a player, I can get my opinions heard, I have easier access to staff announcements, and I can get a feel for the kind of player I'm sharing a MUDspace with.  

Two parts entertainment, one part informational.

THE BOARDS

I personally never go into the 'con' board, since it has very little relevance to me.  I do not live in an area with a high concentration of players, nor do I have a means of transportation.  That said, it seems somewhat used by other players.

I rarely go into the OOC board, for similar reasons.  Most of it just doesn't pertain to me.  Shouldn't get the axe, though.

I usually skim the boards looking for a topic that interests me. Then I read the first post, and skim the replies for people I know usually have something relevant to add and skip the others.

I would really love if there was a way to filter posts by vote or poster weight or something of that nature.

Though this would probably crush lone voices....It would save me scroll time.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I believe the board is moderated fairly well now.

My only opinion is that, as others have mentioned, people who post should try not to be so defensive or..basically downright rude to the other posters.  Why can't we let people post their opinions on matters, then, if you disagree, post an intelligent response without resorting to name-calling and insults.  I honestly believe this contributes to the lack of new posters.  Many are afraid to post their opinion in fear that it will be torn apart in 'quotes' and then harshly rediculed, making them look like a fool.  I believe this to be damaging to the reputation of Armageddon when a new player happens to visit our board.

Just my 2 sid's.

I'm not sure whether i've just become more aware of it or whether there's been a recent increase, but i'm really appreciating the staff chipping in with their opinions in threads.

It's helpful to have some clearer points of navigation within the useful yet confusing maze of everyone else's opinions and imagination.

I took a few days to read the gdb before voting.

I voted that there is too much noise and derailment, but that doesn't
really make the board useless to me--it just means I have to skim a
bit more to find the relevant bits.  It is mildly frustrating, but not to any
great degree.

I find the World Information and Roleplay Discussion particularly useful,
as they often contain tidbits I was not previously aware of.  This leads to
helping shape my overall world view.  Ask the Staff is a great resource
as well, but I do have some difficulty knowing when to use that forum,
one of the other forums or a simple email.

I believe the only board I have no interest in is the Idle OOC chatter,
since I could just hope on the chatroom for that.

As for what I would like to see...I can't think of anything, aside from the
above.  Maybe more official rules calls by the staff, since some of these
posts seem to call for them.  But then, this could be acquired via a simple
email as well.

I think the above issues are inherent to the actual nature of mudders.
They're on their off time, not entirely serious and generally hunting for
fun, so you end up with a lot of line noise and foolery.  I think it's more
prevalent on an rpmud, since we have a group performers, basically; the
histrionics of the collective rp group multiplies on itself, so there may be
no solution.

Sorry, I guess none of these observations were as helpful as I'd hoped,
reading back on them now.  It's just what I've come to see over the years
on rpmuds and any established ooc communications.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

I don't post very often, but sometimes I'll read the GDB. Usually it's the same people posting over and over again in threads that get drawn out over whether the color black should belong in game or not. I don't post much because I don't feel like getting drawn into four pages worth of arguing back and forth with people on the board.

Bumping this thread because I wanted to post about this, and figured this was better than starting a brand new thread.

IMHO, it's gotten kind of ridiculous lately, and not just because of the spam bots.   Look at some the on-topic threads posted on in the last 24 hours.  Some of them just started today have already degenerated into off-topic nonsense, and are pointless to try to get back on track.

Why do people do this?  I don't understand it, but I know it inhibits good discussion.  For sure it keeps me from posting on them.

Northlander said it well on the Sergeant with a J thread:

Quote from: "Northlander"Look, like it or not, but this is/was a serious discussion to some. It isn't under OOC Chatter, and you should respect that no matter how trivial or silly you think the issue is. Stick to the topic by calling it trivial, or don't post. .

I think the discussions on the GDB could be so much better if people didn't clutter up threads with off-topic "humor", people respected each other, and especially tried to be welcoming of new players (or at least not rude and discouraging).

I doubt it will change.  I wish it would, though.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: "flurry"I think the discussions on the GDB could be so much better if people didn't clutter up threads with off-topic "humor", people respected each other, and especially tried to be welcoming of new players (or at least not rude and discouraging).
If you're my girlfriend or a member of my family and want to talk about problems, the future, abortion, sex, or anything else that should be taken as a serious issue, then I'm willing to have a serious discussion.  That's the only time in real life that I ever consider jokes to be out of place.

Oddly enough, when I talk with friends (or even strangers) in real life about schoolwork, politics, pronunciation, or anything else that might also be an appropriate topic on the GDB, nobody gets offended if during this discussion I crack a joke.  Isn't that strange?

I wish people would lighten up.  As long as jokes aren't destroying a topic, or posted to intentionally derail a topic, there's really little harm done.  They're simply part of the natural course of a conversation, just like in the real world.
Back from a long retirement

I didn't get a chance to vote I don't think, because I don't remember voting, and it's not an option for me. I personally, think the GDB has too much noise. Some threads that look really interesting I'll just give up reading, because there's 40 posts under it, and over half of them are pointless. (I'm not pointing the finger at any individuals).

The topic on Serjeant with a J is a prime example. There is no -way- that post should be that long, and I'll be the first to admit I had a hand in it, posting 4 times on it myself. However, some people posted in excess of 10 times on the board. Are 10+ posts necessary to express your opinion?

I don't know, maybe. I usually just read any clan board postings, ask the staff, and announcements. If I'm really really bored, I'll read other things.

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"I wish people would lighten up. As long as jokes aren't destroying a topic, or posted to intentionally derail a topic, there's really little harm done. They're simply part of the natural course of a conversation, just like in the real world.

I agree with this statement.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"
Oddly enough, when I talk with friends (or even strangers) in real life about schoolwork, politics, pronunciation, or anything else that might also be an appropriate topic on the GDB, nobody gets offended if during this discussion I crack a joke.  Isn't that strange?

No, I don't think that's strange.  And I'm not offended by people joking around (except for the occasional racist/sexist/homophobic comment that makes it onto the GDB).  

I just find some of the joking around, specifically the clear attention-whorish derailing "humor" post that adds nothing to the discussion, annoying.   At a minimum, it's pretty inconsiderate.

Humor itself doesn't bother me at all.  I quite like it, actually.  Perhaps it's a silly notion, but I'd prefer the humor to be included in a post that adds something to the discussion.

There's no question that it keeps some people out of discussions or off the boards.  You only need to read through this thread to see evidence of that.

I couldn't vote for some reason, but really enjoy the GBD how it is currently.

I like the less moderation approach, it lets people be a little more open with their opinions without so much fear of disciplinary action. Sure, there's 'noise' but the community at large still steps up when there's a worthwhile thread. Helps keep the little stuff less serious.

Hot_Dancer
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"I wish people would lighten up. As long as jokes aren't destroying a topic, or posted to intentionally derail a topic, there's really little harm done. They're simply part of the natural course of a conversation, just like in the real world.

Like jhunter, I also agree with this statement.  And I'm cluttering up the board by agreeing.  I'm so sorry.  But I'm not at all, really.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "LauraMars"

Like jhunter, I also agree with this statement.  And I'm cluttering up the board by agreeing.  I'm so sorry.  But I'm not at all, really.

Humor has its place, but it isn't always wanted or needed.  Some people equate the GDB to having a discussion with friends, where you are tolerated and liked.  That may not be the case with the GDB community.  I know that when I see a serious subject raised, I want to see serious answers, not witty quips or sarcasm from people who have nothing to add.

The method of communication and debate of the GDB is more like a meeting than a conversation.  Imagine being in a serious discussion where the community is expressing their views on something they feel is important when they recognize someone to speak only to have that person stand up and tell a joke.

Maybe some people will find it funny, but my guess is most people in the room just wish he would've saved his breath (or words) and kept the pertinent discussion flowing.  There are plenty of outlets on the GDB for silly behavior and humorous posts, so telling people to "lighten up" as a blanket statement isn't always going to be appropriate.

One could likewise request that people exert a bit more self control and realize that not eveyone shares their sense of humor, and if they aren't contributing to a thread or being productive, then it's of little help.  I'm all for humor and light hearted posts as long as they are in the correct forum or accompanied by on-topic thoughtful discussion.

-LoD

Quote from: "LoD"I'm all for humor and light hearted posts as long as they are in the correct forum or accompanied by on-topic thoughtful discussion.

Well, I think I can agree to that much at least.
Back from a long retirement

I wasn't able to vote on the poll.  :cry:

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

When you create a new poll you can set how long you want it to run for.  I usually pick a week or two, that way you get a snapshot of a specific time.  Keeping a poll running for years is silly, some people may have changed their opinioins by then.

Anyway, I try to control myself outside of OOC Chatter.  Sometimes I hit reply, think about the thing I wanted to say and decide it doesn't really fit in that topic.  (Just think how much I'd post if I didn't censor myself.  Gah.)  If I have something off-topic or silly that I really, really want to say, then I try to think of something worthwhile on-topic to say too.  A throw-away comment isn't so bad if it is just part of an otherwise on-topic post.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Missed out on the voting as well, but yes, too many posts are entirely off-topic, or halfly on-topic but needlessly inflammatory. Do like AC and LoD.

.. And it's "humour".

Quote from: "Angela Christine"When you create a new poll you can set how long you want it to run for.  I usually pick a week or two, that way you get a snapshot of a specific time.  Keeping a poll running for years is silly, some people may have changed their opinioins by then.

Angela Christine

I am very aware of that, AC - Just disappointed that I wasn't able to make it to the poll in time.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Sanvean"The staff is trying to get a better feel for how much moderation is needed on the GDB.

A thread is dead when people start attacking the poster rather than the issue.  I have the option to stop reading and I utilize that option very often.  I'd rather not waste an Imms time in moderation when they could be doing something cool for the game, unless they're bothered by something on the board.

Just my .02.

- HK
- HK

I don't know if it can be implemented, but I'd like to see a three post limit, per person, per thread put in. That way, you have 2 chances for rebuttal. If you can't say what needs to be said in 3 posts, it probably doesn't need to be said.

There's a difference between arguing a point, and just plain arguing. I see far too much of the latter, I think.

Quote from: "Fragmented"I don't know if it can be implemented, but I'd like to see a three post limit, per person, per thread put in. That way, you have 2 chances for rebuttal. If you can't say what needs to be said in 3 posts, it probably doesn't need to be said.

There's a difference between arguing a point, and just plain arguing. I see far too much of the latter, I think.

I don't know if it can be implemented, and even if it could, I wouldn't want a hard wired limit because not every multi-post thread involves arguing.

Consider examples like the haiku thread in OOC chatter, introduction or absence threads or locker assignment threads in clan forums, or just any thread that covers multiple topics where the discussion evolves to warrant posting new material.

An unofficial limit of three posts to argue over the same point seems like a good idea to me, though.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Well, and I'm meeting my own three post limit with this one, so this'll be the last thing I put in here, I should have clarified that not every topic would have the 3 post limit. Submissions, OOC chatter, things like that would be open. But where the real discussions take place, RP, General, and World.. I'd like to see those limited.

Quote from: "flurry"I just find some of the joking around, specifically the clear attention-whorish derailing "humor" post that adds nothing to the discussion, annoying.   At a minimum, it's pretty inconsiderate.

So true, so true. I hate when serious threads go out of control.

Like this one - http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17538

What say you, fluffy? Should not we ban them attention whores?

It's flurry.  Not fluffy.*

I'm sure not calling for anyone to be banned at all.  I'm really just asking for the very same thing as LoD: that people try to have some on-topic contribution in their posts, even if there's some joking around thrown in with it.

In the end, it's just my opinion on what would make the GDB more useful and readable.  If I'm in the minority in that view, oh well.  I'll keep loving the game just as much, even if not loving the GDB so much.

*See if I ever send you out to buy me any Marshmallow Fluff.