Accents and linguists.

Started by Anonymous Linguist, October 03, 2005, 01:28:08 AM

Quote from: "Sholdyn"Everyone here that has tried to use the argument "If I learn a new language, I can't get the accent perfect right away" has forgotten that we are talking about a group of individuals who have made a life of studying language. This is not some common person who has just picked up some words over the years.

If you pick the linguist class, I'll bite and say you get to have all the accents.  That said, if you are a dumb warrior and picked the linguist sub-guild, I think you have already gotten more then enough.  Picking tailor doesn't make you a master tailor.  Hell, if you decide to be a warrior / tailor, don't be surprised when you have a hard time making a rag out of a torn piece of cloth.  Linguist is not guild, it is a sub-guild.  In my opinion, I think getting two perfectly learned languages is generous enough.  

Special app for the linguist guild as your main class if you want more.

Quote from: "Rindan"
Quote from: "Sholdyn"Everyone here that has tried to use the argument "If I learn a new language, I can't get the accent perfect right away" has forgotten that we are talking about a group of individuals who have made a life of studying language. This is not some common person who has just picked up some words over the years.

If you pick the linguist class, I'll bite and say you get to have all the accents.  That said, if you are a dumb warrior and picked the linguist class, I think you have already gotten more then enough.  Picking tailor doesn't make you a master tailor.  Hell, if you decide to be a warrior / tailor, don't be surprised when you have a hard time making a rag out of a torn piece of cloth.  Linguist is not guild, it is a sub-guild.  In my opinion, I think getting two perfectly learned languages is generous enough.  

Special app for the linguist guild as your main class if you want more.

Yeah. What he said.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

You know what Rindan? You are totally correct.

The helpfiles say that linguist know the three languages. They don't say anything else. I totally jumped the gun. Good call.
Fear not death, for it is your destiny.

This is just a shot. :)

Wouldn't half-giants be able to pick up accents better than others?

I can understand their obvious trouble with the actual language, however, learning accents deals more with the mimicry of how to make certain sounds.

Back when I was in high school, I spent a year going to a boarding school where I was in a dorm of DEEP Southerners, and was able to pick up a disturbingly convincing New Orleans drawl in under two months, and I have an extremely difficult time learning French (or any language, including expanding the English one).

Oh, and CAN we special-app to get subguilds as guilds? O.o