Fighting Mounted

Started by Synthesis, September 19, 2005, 05:14:25 AM

Quote from: "Spoon"
Quote from: "Manhattan"cavalry? dude...zalanthas isn't earth.
HaHHAHHhahahAHahahahAHA!!!!

While not the most in-depth answer in this thread, I agree with Manhattan.

Everyone keep making references to medieval cavalry ie. extremely heavily armoured men with big poles on warHORSES.

I don't know much about ancient history, but as for medieval, I do know that warfare fought in this way didn't pop up until around the eleventh century. Armies beforehand only used horses to transport warriors to battlefields, much like everyone does in Arm at the moment.

Of course, I don't want to rub out mounted fighting completely, but I like the idea of mounted warriors being the lightly armoured scouting types, not the bullet-proof walking tank types.

I can't remember all the things I learnt at college, but I suggest people do a little research into medieval history to see how many aspects could in no way fit in to what we know as Armageddon.

War Beetle : These large, highly agressive insects are almost identical to ordinary beetles save in size. Covered in a thick chitin, typically ranging from dark browns to blacks, these beetles boast very powerful mandibles which can deliver hard bites. Though larger and slower than kanks, domesticated war beetles are prized by mercenaries and professional soldiers alike for their thicker shells and overall strength in combat. Large armies often employ units of riders mounted upon war beetles as heavy cavalry in battle.

Just thought I would paste that tidbit from the docs. That there apparently is cavalry in Arm.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

I always assume mounted/cavalries only works better when they are charging. The momentum helps. Not when they are fighting in place, since it's easier to dart under the person's attack, and go for the beast's hamstrings forcing it to fall.

Yet, if someone if mounted onto something with two huge pincers, or a huge tail, it is much more terrifying than a horse that can crush skulls and break ribs with its kicking and stamping.

If this code happens, can it be such that when mounted, people get penalised instead of bonuses when fighting long weapons/spear opponents?
Lovehina- Ken Akamatsu

I thought about this and I think a simple fix for this problem (if it's even considered a problem by staff)

Would be to make it so anyone resting (IE:bashed/charged) in combat against a mounted person, recieve such a large offense penalty against that opponent (or any other mounted opponent) that it actually makes it better to be mounted against someone on the ground.  If you consider that with the charge ablity it would actually make mounted combat worth while in a balance sense too I think in addition it would make sense that someone on the ground probably couldn't reach someone mounted very easily at all if they were knocked over.

I just wanted to voice my support for making war-bred mounts have an advantage over kanks etc. in combat. However, I think it'd take more skill to effectively ride such a mount and control it in combat. Much more than it would take to effectively control and lead a kank or inix.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

ON this topic, I would like to see more interaction with your mount.  It's almost like you have speed boots on or something.  You can almost forget that you're riding a huge critter.  I think high ride skill should have you use your mount to block attacks or something.  Or something that would make having a strong mount useful beside when fighting Jakhal.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

How do you get 8 tons from a kank? A stone is a kilogram. A ten-stone is ten kilos. If a Kank weights forty ten-stones, then they weigh 400 stones. T....

I just realized that Fragmented already made this point.

I would like to see mounted combat have it's own advantages and it's own disadvantages. It should be like learning a new combat system.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870