Burglarizing the auto-partments

Started by Fnord, August 12, 2005, 11:59:56 AM

Quote from: "HardCarbon"That's odd.. I recall being told that the apartment building X was very secure and had excellent locks ...  I was also informed that the IC security of the building would be as good if not better...

Of course you're going to be told this ICly because they want you to rent their apartments!  If they were to tell you "Yeah, security in our buildings is pretty craptacular, so you can expect your stuff to get stolen," then they would probably lose your business.  No merchant will ever tell you that his/her product sucks.

You also have to remember, this was a promise that was made to you IC.  Complaining about it on the GDB won't do you a lick of good.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

As far as the furniture issue goes, I didn't think people were stealing that sort of stuff anymore because (I thought) that the imm's made the furniture place to where they would not buy.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember being real irritated a few months back when I brought some wooden furniture down from Tuluk and wasn't able to find anywhere in Allanak to sell it.  Which sucks for exporters and certain guilds that might make that sort of thing and have no place to sell it....

But yeah, it would probably be pretty unrealistic to sneak into an apartment only to be seen hauling tables and couches out moments later... unless you are a half-giant thief with a huge pack.. hah... but then how do half-giants sneak?

IC'ly, it was stated that security would be upped with the switch and much pissiness ensued when any suggestion of the ways the TWINKIE thieves would get around the change were brought up IC'ly. (See that? Twinkie! Yeah! Yeah! I said it!) So my trust and 'sid go to Nenyuk to give me a place to protect my uber sekret items o' doom. And hopefully the issues plaguing the apartments have been looked at as they've been upgraded/changed. And if not.... well, that's a matter for IC.

But yes, thieves, please try and remember that you are RARELY alone. Be it a hallway, barracks, warehouse, someone once IC'ly said it's rare for there to be any true abandoned buildings, at least in lawful areas of the respective cities.

-Kank with a Key

How a half giant with a massive pack would sneak.

You see the eastern door open and a half-giant walks out carrying a couch under each arm.

You say, "Hey.. You don't live there..."

The half giant says, while looking down at your puny self, "You tell anyone I was here, I'll be out of jail in a day and raping your entire family the next."

The half giant walks off and you close the door and start crying.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Bear in mind, there are a limited number of pickable locks. Next up, all of the locks arent of the same kind. And finally, picked locks need to be either relocked with a key or wait for a reboot/crash - to return to the locked position.

Now think from the poor burglars' view point.

In fact, my OOC suggestion would be for doors to auto-lock themselves, based on a timer (say 6 hours RL, just as an example). While this will deter folks from repeatedly twinking the pick skill, it will also permit multiple burglars in the same locality to practise their skills.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Why not just be able to use pick locks to relock the door.  You clearly can do that, it is to bad it is not coded that way.

because the idea is that the PC and any VNPC family moochers or what have you would be returning to USE the apartment and lock it back, even if the PC is doing it virtually.

plus, you can't trust burglars to be that nice.

Of course, auto-locking AND relocking with a pick would be the best solution.

This was brought up before.  If I remember correctly, the staff said that the reason the picks can not lock the doors, is that such an addition would make the burglars use those houses as if their own.. Unlocking and locking the door.
some of my posts are serious stuff

I say... let them do it!  I don't see how it would be unrealistic in many situations for a burglar to use a room as their own, but they had better make darn sure that it is safe....

This might give some Nenyuk guards/security something to do as well as give the militia something else to do.  Let them check the buildings that are supposed to be empty and if they find someone living in there without paying rent... guess what?  I'd say that's fairly realistic...  

The other problem is probably that people might sit and keep picking locks, locking them, and then picking them again... but how is that different from any other skill out there?  As far as I know, there have always been coded safeguards to keep people from maxxing their skills too much in a certain period of time.  I say let them practice if they want to practice... just as elementalists can practice their spells without having to wait for a reboot.

And just how many VNPCs would you be ignoring by sitting there picking and locking locks repeatedly for IC hours?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

In truth it is very realistic that a person that can pick the lock open, can also pick it closed.  It works both ways.  Just not in game.

Quote from: "Raesanos"They DO provide a "lockhouse" type service at banks.

I have read about this but haven't been able to figure out how it works, any one know how to work this?
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

QuoteI have read about this but haven't been able to figure out how it works, any one know how to work this?

Help rent.

Doesn't work when you do it in banks, been trying.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

Never tried myself, but someone said Nenyuk only stores jewelry that way.  Might that be the problem?