language in caps

Started by Manhattan, July 13, 2005, 01:47:13 PM

how come caps in all languages are understandable?

the elf says in allundean: "HELLO MY NAME IS AMOS."

why ???
is it twinkish ???
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Twinkish to get around the languag barrier by using it.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

For some reason I thought that had been fixed.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it was, JGG.  It may also simply be an illusion that it still seems like letters in caps come through less often scrambled than those in lower case.

Like I've said before, though, as all Americans know, if someone doesn't speak your language, speaking slowly and loudly is a sure fire way to get them to understand you.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Like I've said before, though, as all Americans know, if someone doesn't speak your language, speaking slowly and loudly is a sure fire way to get them to understand you.

It really depends on the language. Some languages are harder to understand and learn than others. In these cases, speaking slowly will not help you at all. Knowing some of the basic rules can help you determine what the other person is saying, sometimes.

You are speaking on the behalf of every American. Let me remind you: Everyone isn't smart and everyone learns at different rates.

Let the staff take care of that person speaking in "all caps"; they are watching. Usually, I think people are yelling or putting emphasis on a certain word whenever they use capital letters. There are other ways around the language barrier without having to twink it.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

You obviously missed the fact that spawnloser's comment about all Americans was a joke.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I thought Morg or someone had fixed that.  ALL CAPS should not automatically get you around the language barrier, and using ALL CAPS to do so should generally be considered bug abuse.
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

Quote from: "spawnloser"I'm pretty sure it was, JGG.  It may also simply be an illusion that it still seems like letters in caps come through less often scrambled than those in lower case.

Like I've said before, though, as all Americans know, if someone doesn't speak your language, speaking slowly and loudly is a sure fire way to get them to understand you.

Heh.. I actually used that line once to a dwarf using all caps to indicate slow spacing and volume..    Once,,,  I got a quiet message not to do that anymore..
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

EMOTE FROWNS

SAY () JUST BECAUSE MY KEYBOARD IS BROKEN DOESN'T MAKE ME A TWINK!

SAY () SO WHAT IF MY ALLUNDEAN SUCKS AND i NEED TO SPEAK TO AN ELF.

SHOUT (TWINKING OUT) HULLO, MY NAMES HORSH-

emote glances up

say (muttering as he scuries away from the computer) Oh fekk, covers blown.

I'm glad to hear that it was fixed though...if what you're saying is true Savak.
storrie: Stay out of the rinth. It is dangerous.
jstorrie: IC INFORMATION!~!
jstorrie: You will get ultrapk'd.
jstorrie: There are no buildings in the rinth. Everything is made out of tall, cloaked figures with knives. You will die.

Not sure if it was fixed.  I heard somebody shout something in a language I didn't know at all, and one of their letters was a capital "H".  I could count the letters after the "H" and tell that that particular word was "Highlord".  >_>  This was before I even knew about this bug, so it kinda freaked me out that I could just guess one of his words like that.
Given the choice between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I would have the courage to betray my country." - E. M. Forster

It *seems* that I can see the first letter of words correctly, no matter what language people are speaking. This doesn't happen all the time, but it *seems* to happen frequently enough that I have to imagine it has something to do with the alpha-random-generator and how it works.

It also *seems* to occur even -more- frequently once that language has appeared on my skills list.

I highlight the word "seems" because it might just be a coincidence, or it could just be me noticing those words more than I notice other words.

QuoteI highlight the word "seems" because it might just be a coincidence, or it could just be me noticing those words more than I notice other words.

You didn't actually highlight anything, by the way.  You just drew more attention to it by putting asterisks around it.

Just, you know, trying to help.  What I did to your stuff, now THAT's highlighting!
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: "Malifaxis"You didn't actually highlight anything, by the way.  You just drew more attention to it by putting asterisks around it.

Just, you know, trying to help.

Actually, highlight can be used non-literally.  Pay special attention to def 2.a.

Just, you know, trying to help.  :twisted: