Perma death: Love it or hate it?

Started by Nyard, July 12, 2005, 07:11:02 PM

Here, I just want people to discuss the pros and cons of perma death.  Obviously, none of us would be playing Armageddon if we hated perma death.

I think it's great, because it makes the game much more immersive and it allows for much more tension.  It also allows for many opportunities to try out different races and guilds.  I remember when I played Aetolia, I at one point had over five characters at once (which is allowed, you're just only supposed to log onto only one at a time).  It also enhances the roleplay because you don't have to say stuff like, "I died, but um...  the Highlord used his powers to bring me back."  Not everybody's important enough to be resurrected every time they die.

So, what do you guys think?
Given the choice between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I would have the courage to betray my country." - E. M. Forster

I think there's no reason to discuss this. You can't expect realism without death.
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

Permadeath is a cornerstone of Arm. If Raesanos went power-mad, or something, and removed it, I'd be gone the next day.
This discussion is better suited for the Top Mud Sites forums or a similar place, where you'd be more likely to find some one willing to play devil's advocate.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

It all seems stupid and pointless with out a final outcome that looms.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

*wanders in to play devil's advocate*

It annoys me a little bit, especially when my character dies a stupid death. The one that committed suicide, yea, okay, she didn't deserve to come back to life, and she would have slapped me for it anyway. But, at least with my perceptions, it means I can never do the same concept again with a character, unless it's years in the future. I want to try a similar character again, only less newbish and slightly altered, but I'll need to wait a few more and my concept for the character at that point will be half-forgotten. So I guess I'm more advocating a different sort of resurrection than permadeath.

Please allow me to explain that this is my first MUD, so forgive and ignore if that was newbish.
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

Quote from: "Nyard"Here, I just want people to discuss the pros and cons of perma death.  Obviously, none of us would be playing Armageddon if we hated perma death.

I think it's great, because it makes the game much more immersive and it allows for much more tension.  It also allows for many opportunities to try out different races and guilds.  I remember when I played Aetolia, I at one point had over five characters at once (which is allowed, you're just only supposed to log onto only one at a time).  It also enhances the roleplay because you don't have to say stuff like, "I died, but um...  the Highlord used his powers to bring me back."  Not everybody's important enough to be resurrected every time they die.

So, what do you guys think?

i used to be on aoetolias bigger brother (Achaea(but i left due to RP degrading and griefers increasing)), i personally think perma death is alright. its pro's is that it does more tension like earlier mentioned, but besides that it allows you to create a (healthy?) bond to the world itself rather on your character alone. for example, you arent stuck with the everlasting quest of getting those 900 billions so you can buy a house. or spend half your life farming an area to get that superduper rare item. or acting botlike to max that skill of yours, etc.

its cons is that it does restrict exploration a bit, imo. people dares less, so to say since if you mess up, you'll have to make a new application and so on. i think permadeath is heaviest on newbies particurarly. i've seen pretty good alternatives to permadeath (like semi perma death) wich works out almost as harshly as real perma death, but it *does* feel a bit silly to be 'immortal' and get awakned each time you're slain... but like i said, there are alternatives  :P

EDIT: morgan, i think you've made a very good choice for a starting MUD if you're out after roleplay. while arm. might not be appealing to the eyes colourwise, its atmosphere certainly is  8)

The thing that I like best about permadeath, besides its gritty realism, is the way it recycles the playerbase.  The templar who dies on a desert mission becomes a skeezy rinthi whore, a burly sweaty Bynner, a f-me bard, your local spice dealer, a crazed preserver.  So we have a constant influx of new characters which greatly adds to the dynamic, changeable aspect of the world.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Quote from: "Vanth"The thing that I like best about permadeath, besides its gritty realism, is the way it recycles the playerbase.  The templar who dies on a desert mission becomes a skeezy rinthi whore, a burly sweaty Bynner, a f-me bard, your local spice dealer, a crazed preserver.  So we have a constant influx of new characters which greatly adds to the dynamic, changeable aspect of the world.

Seconded. In general, mystery and intrigue would be gone if there was no
permadeath as well. I do think, however, that the staff should be able to
notify you if you cannot find a person's mind for awhile. In general, everyone
should be able to contact everyone, to find if they are still alive, absent a few
small examples. Speaking of, I'm going to start another small thread on
a related point.

- Ktavialt

I really like permadeath, but I will say there are times it is painful.  Then again, would anything be trully scary if it didn't exist.  It's especially hard with your first really loved character.  It gets easier later.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Permadeath is a vital and important part of this game.

However, it is a mistake to assume you need it for an effective roleplaying game.

There can be a middle ground, but in the end, a form of permadeath that _will_ take your character is important.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Quote from: "Vanth"The thing that I like best about permadeath, besides its gritty realism, is the way it recycles the playerbase.  The templar who dies on a desert mission becomes a skeezy rinthi whore, a burly sweaty Bynner, a f-me bard, your local spice dealer, a crazed preserver.  So we have a constant influx of new characters which greatly adds to the dynamic, changeable aspect of the world.

It also keeps the number of characters with uber skills at a low.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

LOVE IT....... LOVE IT....... LOVE IT....... and did i mention I LOVE IT.

Its a simple realistic concept which I even use in my own tabletop campaigns. It keeps like Yoko said the folks with uber skills down, so that the IMMS dont have to go off and make uber creatures which in turn would kill off more of the lower skilled players. Its just awesome simple as that.
eel my squirrely wrath!!!!!!!

Malifaxis wrote:
Hizzle, shizzle, fabizzle mechakizzle will probably force my fingers to autorespond with subdue target and the nearest directions for the top of the Shield Wall. Lets see if you can flizzle, bizzle.

I love how it recycles the players, as well. Especially when you end up working for the guy who killed your other character...(we all know that feeling I'm sure).  :twisted:
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I'm a permadeath addict.  I even play Diablo 2 in hardcore mode now...

Armageddon's environment can't exist without permadeath.  Think about it.  All those northerners hunting down magickers... fat lot of good -that- does if the magickers just repop.  Templar killed you?  Meh, no biggie, you'll be back in an instant.  Your entire Byn unit got wiped out on the coolest mission ever, except for two survivors?  Eh.  They all respawned.  How completely BLAH that would be.  Permadeath is cool.  Permadeath is the tool that makes Armageddon into an awesome roleplaying experience.  Permadeath isn't just nice to have, it's -necessary-.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

People that get back up after dying deserve a bullet to the head.

Hmmmm... maybe I should make a movie about this.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Wasn't there an episode of the X-Files with zombies that only died if you shot them in the head?
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I love perma death in all but one instance.

being killed by someone twinking.
as in being used as a steal,backstab, or combat dummy for their character's benefit minus RP.

I believe, (after suffering the wrath of an Imm on this point) If you can't RP while purposley or inadvertantly twinking then you should be punished SEVERLEY and the abused character brought back.

But that is the only instance I've even thought about it being even semi-reasonable.

just my two cents.

Quote from: "Thunder Lord"I started to play arm BECAUSE of perma death
You are not the only one.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

perm death is great because it keepps players from having a character for one or two rl years... nothing is more annoying than those uber-characters that have been in game forever and are basically invincible because even if they die, they keep coming back...
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

I don't mind uberness or long lived pcs. I think they add this great structure. However, if no one dies and everyone is uber, that leads to a stagancy, that arm doesn't suffer from.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I love the perma-death system.  The main thing that bugs me with RP mandatory games without perma death is that people will kill you repeatedly and bascially that is their RP.

The muscle-bound twink says, "Insult my god again and I'll kill you and keep killing you untill you learn how to control your tongue"

That was an actual quote from another game I play.

Also, my question: What's the point of having an assassin's guild in a RP MUD without perma-death
 got caught at school with my hands down my pants and had to keep it down there for  a whole week.......What a week!
~Chris, Family Guy

Heh, do you play Dark and Shattered Lands, Realdazed? Sounds like them.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

You can moderate perma-death, though, and still retain the harshness.
If there are difficult / expensive / illegal magicks that can _occasionally_ bring someone back to life at a terrible cost (perhaps the life of someone else in exchange as a component) then raising someone from the dead could be possible.

There would still have to be ways in which a corpse could be rendered unusable for this type of magick, and there would have to be a limit on how often one could undergo such a thing, so in a sense, perma-death would still exist.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Instead of using someone else as component, I would prefer "The life of the caster's own" as the component.  That would make a lot more sense why nobody ever sees it.

Otherwise.... We would see a lot of important nobles/templars returning from dead around, just because there are a lot of slaves you can use as component.

Yeah.  You want to return someone from the dead?  Give your own life.
some of my posts are serious stuff

If it's powerful magick, Tektolnes and Muk Utep can probably do it.
So this means if some House Senator or high ranking Templar dies, they just get brought back?
Single permanent death is so crucial for realistic roleplaying (especially in a place as lethal as Zalanthas) that I truly fail to see any point to this thread.

Think about what this will mean for defiler kidnappers.  They grabbed your noble, tortured him for information and then killed him.  Then the templars find you, raise you back to life and you tell them everything you found out about that defiler and doom them?

Seriously, just no.

Magick should never become normalized, especially when it comes to things as meaningful as life and death.

Ressurecting one PC or NPC every few RL years as the part (or goal) of some huge and dangerous plot can be fine, but that's absolutely it.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Permadeath..

It is what makes this game so engrossing, nerve racking, frightening and addicting. It is what makes you appreciate those long lived characters and gives us a constant influx of new and interesting ones to meet.

We wouldn't have much of a game without it.
Sometimes I feel less like an immortal and more like a drug dealer.

Quote from: "Bogre"Heh, do you play Dark and Shattered Lands, Realdazed? Sounds like them.

Nah, its one of those IRE games. If that's the game I'm thinking about, I tried  it and found it completely empty, so I left.
 got caught at school with my hands down my pants and had to keep it down there for  a whole week.......What a week!
~Chris, Family Guy

Permadeath is why I started playing too.  Automatic resurrections get on my nerves.  You die, you are brought back, and then someone chats over your clan channel, "Are you ok?"   :x  It just makes me want to reply, "No asshole, I'm dead."  But I wouldn't, because I'm a nice person.  

On the other hand, I'm not totally opposed to limited resurections.  Like in AD&D 2nd ed (I haven't read 3rd ed) you permanently lost an endurance point each time you died and had to make an endurance check each time you were resurected.  Getting a stat raised wasn't impossible, but it wasn't easy either, so for most characters there was an absolute limit of 17 resurections or fewer even if you were really lucky with your dice.  Realisticly even 10 resurections would be unlikely, because you are bound to fail an resurection survival check eventually and because after you've lost 5-10 of your original endurance points your character is going to start to suck in the hit point department, so it is probably easier to let Lucky McDeathmagnet stay dead and roll up a new character.  You didn't just lose things that can be easily replaced like coin, equipment and xp, you also lost that permanent constitution point and that was an enduring consequence.  (It also explained why every peasant and orc in the world didn't also get resurected all the time.)

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I play D&D and I have been lobbying the DM to introduce perma-death.

That prolly answers the question.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

AC.... In third edition: the general rule is if you are above first level you use a constitution point, but if you are above that you lose a level when resurrected. I prefer to have the requirement of a quest for the Char's specific god to have him allow him to return to the real of mortals. Often the quest is easy but can turn into some interesting sessions. Especially when the player has to convince the others that he is a ghost and that if they send/sacrifice that tome of knowledge they just found Grumush will let them return or whatever.

Its fun. But I prefer to a total customized game that is another reason i love playing arm. It is beyond all the other games out there and has a feel all its own.

I have even went as far as adapt my D&D games to a desert/arid environment. Which with the new Sandstorm book out, it has helped dramaticly.
eel my squirrely wrath!!!!!!!

Malifaxis wrote:
Hizzle, shizzle, fabizzle mechakizzle will probably force my fingers to autorespond with subdue target and the nearest directions for the top of the Shield Wall. Lets see if you can flizzle, bizzle.

When my charcters die, I just look at the screen with a blank expression, mouth dropped open; raising up my hands I scream, " Nooooooo!"

Ah man, D&D machanics... I just liked throwing oversized d20s.  The last game I played the DM did all that stuff in the background. Perma death would be cool though. Too bad I'm usually the one who dies frist.

That brings us back topic, though. Without perma-death people (like me) take dumb chances because they know they will be resurrected.
~Chris, Family Guy

Quote from: "Yokunama"
Quote from: "Thunder Lord"I started to play arm BECAUSE of perma death
You are not the only one.

as did I, for nearly all the reasons mentioned.

Plus, my own thoughts:
Without death, there is no -real- risk. Without risk, there can be no true success. Everything is becomes easy, and can be gained with only the input of time. High risk should offer high rewards. But if you yank risk out of the equation, the value of everything is reduced. And by everything I mean the 'sid, the time you spend playing, the silt-horror armor your character lusts after.

I played a MUD for seven years that didn't have permadeath. If you died, you lost some skill percentage points. So you'd have to go back out and grind harder to get back to where you were. The whole game was about grinding in your time as a player to get a stronger character. it fucking sucked. I hate myself for playing it for seven years. AND PAYING.

I will only play muds that are free and have permadeath, from now to forever.

thanks for listening.

Quote from: "Agent_137 (2L2L)"
I will only play muds that are free and have permadeath, from now to forever.

I hear ya.  Occasionally I get an urge to do some mindless Hack n Slash, so I'll go play a H&S mud for a few days, or maybe Star Wars Galaxies (that's my thing lately) or something, but inevitably, they just don't "do it" for me.  "Oh, I died, my equipment has decayed slightly to 95% quality.  WOAH IS ME OMG.".

Permadeath is one of the most popular features of ArmageddonMUD, and it a large part of what makes us stand out from other MUD's (though clearly not the only feature).  Getting rid of permadeath would ruin the game just as badly as if we put a Smurf Village in place of Tuluk.... oh wait, we alread did that!
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

on non-permadead muds I play more stupid. i go out and take on everyything. In armageddon you have to keep thinking ahead or else its 6 feet under
dd my msn if you want, longvaladrien@hotmail.com

I remember before I played Armageddon for the first time, I had a few qualms about both permadeth and the application process.   I hadn't experienced either on muds I had tried previously.  Both seemed a little intimidating.   But really, the harmony of those two features together really do so much to give the game the roleplaying environment it has.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Gotta -love- permadeath, without it I think the quality of rp drops greatly.