Desert Elves and City Elves

Started by Elven Kank, July 11, 2005, 04:33:13 PM

Can anyone pontificate (or send me a link to previous pontification), on what, in general, desert elves and city elves may think of each other.

Is it totally unique to each elf? Do d-elves think city elves are pathetic and weak because they can't run for shit? Do city elves think desert elves are pathetic for not being as innately gifted at thievery? Do they consider each other more or less alien? Do they consider each other two sides of the same obsidian coin? Etc, etc.

Thanks.

The elf I am playing would probably see them as every bit as weak and lazy as a human. Definitely crazy, for living inside walls. It's terrible in there! Nohing makes sense and it's all cut off from the real world. Humans rule and ones in fancy dress can decide to have you killed for no reason.

With all that said, a desert elf might still hold a city elf in some higher regard, because, after all, elves ARE superior to humans in every way. Regargless of any biological linkage however, elves are highly tribal and regard anyone outside of their tribe as not only an outsider, but inferior. Of course an elf's tribe is the best, smartest, fastest around, and anyone not in the tribe is of weaker blood.

Hope that helps.

(ATV 4 LIFE)

What do human tribals and city humans think of each other?

Hint: It may depend on the particular tribe and the particular individual of said tribe. In other words, they may or may not think all of the above you mentioned.

As a more explicit answer, not all desert elves shun cities and/or civilization to the point where they hate them and everyone who lives in them (though some may, it depends on the tribe). There are trading tribes who may go into centers of civilization to market/scam. There are tribes who completely shun any city or trading post, thinking that those who live in cities are weak. There are some tribes who don't have any particular view of city life being inherently weaker or better than life in the wastes, to them, it's merely a different sort of wilderness and maybe an even more confusing one that they prefer to avoid unless necessary.

Elves, desert and otherwise, think of other elves the same way they think of anyone else not in their tribe: they don't trust them and may look to scam them (conversely, they may believe everyone else is trying to scam them).

There's no brotherhood of elves, no brotherhood of desert/city elves, and if an elf isn't in your tribe they are just like everyone else. Simplified it's a simple matter of adjusting your viewpoint to US (the tribe, who are the only people you trust without having to test) and THEM (everyone else, including all other elves, desert or city). A particular view of one or the other as a race, however, would depend heavily on the tribe to which one belongs.

Hope that was of some assistance?

Like everyone else has said it really varies from tribe to tribe and PC to PC.  I read somewhere, Thanas' DE treatise maybe, that in general, elves distrust other elves more than any other race because they know what elves are about.

I'd imagine city elves, if for no other reason than rationalizing their situation, would consider desert elves stupid for risking their lives in the desert when you can reach into some slow, dumb human's pack for the same amount of coin.

Desert elves might see city elves as bastards, or worthless orphans due to the seemingly fractured nature of city elven tribal life.  Polluted by the laziness of humans.  Stuff like that.

I think there is some information here that might be useful on how elves treat other elves.. I mean.. elves from different tribes.  It can be applicable I think, since a d-elf and city elf are elves from different tribes to start with.[/url]
some of my posts are serious stuff

Laughing uproariously and pointing mockingly, the grungy desert elf exclaims to the well-dressed city elf, in allundean, "Weak Legs!"
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I always thought a tribe that had relatives inside the cities would be cool. I think it makes sense, too.

Anyhow, it pretty much completely depends on your tribe and individual character. Especially because it's not really covered in any of the docs that I've seen.

As mentioned, it could differ from tribe to tribe.  I suggest emailing Bhagharva about this, asking about a particular tribe.  He can then decide if you should have the information and provide it.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.