On Mutants...

Started by Penumbra, July 08, 2005, 08:46:48 PM

I was just wondering, how far are you allowed to go with mutations without special apps? Is it essentially anything that wouldn't require coding?
ossibly the best quote, ever:
Quote from: "Bestatte"Welcome to Armageddon, and may all your deaths be interesting.

I think it would be anything that wouldn't give you perks/disadvantages that would need to be coded, yeah.

Or anything that completely disagrees with the game and theme.

I'm not quite sure on this, though...so don't go off of my word.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

a good example:
translucent skin

a bad example:
a pair of super deathmaul fighting claws that creep out of your knuckles at will
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Wierd... I was actually thinking of translucent skin.
But thanks for the examples.
Quote from: "Bestatte"Welcome to Armageddon, and may all your deaths be interesting.

Translucent skin may need permission from the Imms if you plan on showing your internal organs. That could be against the consent rules.

If that translucent skin makes you better at being stealthy, you need Imm approval.

If it is a mutation that is only "for looks" then it is A-ok.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Minor mutations are okay to go with without a special app. Major mutations, mutations which break typical 'natural' laws, or things that could be misconstrued as magickal need to be special apped. Also, if you're mutated enough so as your original race is somehow obfuscated, then you should probably special app.

For example: wings, glowing eyes, functional poison fangs (or other special items), hair on a dwarf or mul, or a 'demonic' or otherwise non-standard racial form (so that you're no longer using 'elf' or 'human' in your sdesc) should be special apped.

Scaled or scaley skin, extra fingers, slitted eyes, forked tongue, extreme baldness, extra-hairyness, minor bony plates or horns, etc. can probably go without the special app (unless you're trying to have all of that at once).

In essense, try to be 'realistic' with your mutations, and remember that mutations aren't always 'good'. If your mutation might be somewhat more unrealistic, and possible wavering into the completely fantastical (like having fully functional wings and feathers while being born of human parents), its always a good idea to at least run the concept by the Mud before applying, and/or the special app staff.
Tlaloc
Legend

No, I was just thinking only for looks.

An obsidian carved <insert race here>

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Would you need to special app a PC with two heads?

Quote from: "Tlaloc"extreme baldness

I take it this means being absolutely devoid of any body hair, like a dwarf or mul.  Would it be possible to get it coded so that you can't wear anything in your hair location if that were the case?  If you play a dwarf or mul you can't use that location, but could you get that to be made applicable for the other races as well?  (I think it would be a good reminder during memory lapses that the character is bald, so the extremely bald character won't emote doing anything with its hair.)
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Thats an interesting idea. I imagine a relatively simple script could be written to prevent a bald character from wearing something in their hair...but I wouldn't hold my breath on it untill such a time as we actually have a bald PC that feels like they need reminding about their 'hair' location.

Or...untill I decide to try my hand at it. Whichever comes first.
Tlaloc
Legend

Quote from: "Spoon"Would you need to special app a PC with two heads?

You'd probably have to get permission from the immortals first.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I heard once someone played a two-headed half-giant.  I'd love to see someone dig up and post logs from that character.

Quote from: "Yokunama"
Quote from: "Spoon"Would you need to special app a PC with two heads?

You'd probably have to get permission from the immortals first.

That's kind of what special apping is.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I must now app a two-headed human who will run for President of the Known World.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]