Ranger vs Warrior

Started by Spud, July 02, 2005, 03:38:17 PM

Quote from: Ashes on July 15, 2010, 02:17:22 AM
If you're trying to analyze and figure out and decide which class, good luck, 'cause there are also racial and statistical considerations, as well as the tribe, clan, and area you're going to be most playing in.  Desert elf warriors, anyone?  Mulish rangers?

My advice is this: Forget which is "better," because in Arm there is no "better."  Just choose which MEANS you want to play the game through.  Guild doesn't even have to have any weight with your character's personality.  Skills are just every character's set of tools for meeting a given situation.  If it really comes down to it, flip a coin.

This..

(although a Mulish Ranger would be fun to play)
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: Clearsighted on July 14, 2010, 10:26:50 PM
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on July 13, 2010, 10:40:07 AM
Quote from: The words, in not the exact manner, of a great man:Warriors are trained to die, Rangers are trained to survive.

I know who said that ;)

Me too.  :-X

July 16, 2010, 01:55:10 AM #52 Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 05:34:32 PM by RogueGunslinger
I remember when... Some of the things said in this thread about skills would have immediately been smacked down and moderated by staff.

Or at least scolded at by players.

Ultimately, when it comes to fighting, a warrior and a ranger with equal stats and relatively equal skill levels, a warrior will come out on top. A disarmed ranger is a fleeing ranger.

And a warrior that allows the ranger to flee is soon full of arrows.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: This ThreadMy guild choice has a bigger dick than your guild choice!
No, boys and girls, both classes have the same size dick when hard.  One's just a different color.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Hahahahaha Americans aaaaahahahahaha

That was funny =P

What color are they though? If one is white and one is black, I'm pretty sure there is a difference in size  :P
Quote from: Nyr>mount corpse

Apt.

Quote from: Romy on July 17, 2010, 12:10:34 PM
Hahahahaha Americans aaaaahahahahaha

That was funny =P

What color are they though? If one is white and one is black, I'm pretty sure there is a difference in size  :P
Sounds like someone is going to have a successful run on the GDB.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: X-D on July 17, 2010, 11:53:22 AM
And a warrior that allows the ranger to flee is soon full of arrows.

Yeah, well, you wouldn't be able to shoot me because I have +5 platemail!

Seriously, this discussion is stupid and childish. I'm pretty sure the game isn't balanced towards PVP anyway, what with it being an RPI game and not World of Zalanthascraft Online.

Quote from: X-D on July 17, 2010, 11:53:22 AM
And a warrior that allows the ranger to flee is soon has a shield full of arrows.

:3

Thing to remember, in any instance, There is always someone more kick ass than you, no matter the guild.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Potaje on July 18, 2010, 01:12:59 PM
Thing to remember, in any instance, There is always someone more kick ass than you, no matter the guild.

X-D once beat me in unarmed combat with a merchant. I was a 100 day warrior.

Malifaxis once scared me so bad my PC stabbed himself in the back.

For example.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: Dan on July 18, 2010, 01:36:47 PM
Quote from: Potaje on July 18, 2010, 01:12:59 PM

X-D once beat me in unarmed combat with a merchant. I was a 100 day warrior.

Malifaxis once scared me so bad my PC stabbed himself in the back.

For example.

I refuse to believe that X-D has ever played a merchant.

Unless it was merchant of death.

What rangers and warriors both -really- should watch out for are assassins.

O:

I enjoy playing a ranger because I get a wider variety of non-combat skills to tinker around with.

July 19, 2010, 01:27:27 PM #65 Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 02:29:06 PM by Kryos
The scope of this question is broad and I think most posts above focus on some singular aspect of a class comparison.  I'll list the categories of mechanics I think need be addressed and my personal feel on the classes, as I've played fairly high end versions of both classes:

Ranking:  S (best of the best, no one's ever going to take you down, oh yeah!) A B C D

Mobility:  Good luck, mister warrior.  Even with solid subguild selection, the ranger is simply going to be A rank to your B(and with bad subguild selection in respect to this catagory, straight D rank

Toe to Toe fighting:  I've played rangers, that with kick/disarm/etc spammed till content, have slaughtered similarly played warriors.  Its comparable, but even with this considered, I'd say toe to toe melee, A warrior A- ranger

Not Toe to Toe fighting:  The comments that warriors throw and archery well do not go unheeded.  They do it, and can do it well.  But they cannot deal with the ranger's other, complimentary skills that truly put them in a higher level.  Ranger A, Warrior B

Resources and preperation:  Ranger is A, warrior is C;  This one's easy.  Rangers can get everything but a very narrow margin of 'preparation' for themselves.  Warriors cannot.  Rangers can also engage in certain kinds of espionage warriors could only dream of.

Clan usefulness:  This is a tough and very nebulous area of concern, frankly, I think they are around dead even.  Each has a distinctive, valuable use.

Note there's no S's between them.  No one beats a magic user.  Sorry.

July 19, 2010, 01:31:08 PM #66 Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 01:39:29 PM by Qzzrbl
Quote from: Kryos on July 19, 2010, 01:27:27 PM
Toe to Toe fighting:  I've played rangers, that with kick/disarm/etc spammed till content, have slaughtered similarly played warriors.  Its comparable, but even with this considered, I'd say toe to toe melee, A warrior A- ranger

Clearly someone hasn't witnessed or experienced the horror and sheer destruction a fully branched and maxxed warrior can wreak....

Warriors can only really fight. Rangers are desert survivalist assassins. Nuff said.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 19, 2010, 01:31:08 PM

Clearly someone hasn't witnessed or experienced the horror and sheer destruction a fully branched and maxxed warrior can wreak....
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

July 19, 2010, 02:29:35 PM #69 Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 02:32:14 PM by Kryos
Clearly, you post in ignorance of what I've done/seen. :)

edited to add:  Besides the point anyway, I said warriors are a tier above.

Quote from: jhunter on July 19, 2010, 02:17:44 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 19, 2010, 01:31:08 PM

Clearly someone hasn't witnessed or experienced the horror and sheer destruction a fully branched and maxxed warrior ranger can wreak....

...but the only thing more badass than a ranger, is a maxxxed warrior/ranger duo. Trust me.

July 19, 2010, 06:25:33 PM #71 Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 09:49:51 PM by Salt Merchant
Desert elf ranger(s) with a bow. I've lost more than one character to them. Kiss goodbye any warrior that doesn't flee on mount back after the first arrow. Kiss them good bye after the first arrow, period, sometimes.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Kryos on July 19, 2010, 02:29:35 PM

To suggest a maxxed ranger attempt to kick/disarm/bash a maxxed warrior without any horrible fight-ending consequences doesn't exactly say, "Hey, I've played and/or fought against a warrior whose come close to mastering these skills."

So excuse any presumptions on my part.
>_>

Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 19, 2010, 09:40:50 PM
Quote from: Kryos on July 19, 2010, 02:29:35 PM

To suggest a maxxed ranger attempt to kick/disarm/bash a maxxed warrior without any horrible fight-ending consequences doesn't exactly say, "Hey, I've played and/or fought against a warrior whose come close to mastering these skills."

So excuse any presumptions on my part.
>_>

Yeah, subguild versions of those skills have absolutely no comparison to the capability of a warrior in those areas.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

The three main combat guilds (warrior, ranger, and assassin) are paper/rock/scissors balanced.  After the newbie stage, each can absolutely destroy the others in the right setting.  Out of the box, warriors have a strong advantage.

(The newbie stage is about the first 500 RL hours, right?)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.