Tables

Started by Rhyden, June 30, 2005, 03:16:24 PM

If one looks at a table, as most are aware, there will be a list of the people sitting at it. I never really gave any thought to the order of the people sitting at a table, so perhaps somebody could help me out.

Here's an example table:

This table is blah blah blah.
Person A is sitting at it, on a chair.
Person B is sitting at it, on a chair.
You are sitting at it, on a chair.
Person C is sitting at it, on a chair.
A few chairs are drawn up to it.

:arrow: Does this mean person A was the first or perhaps last person to sit at this table?

:arrow: Does it mean person A is sitting beside person B?

:arrow: If this table was a bar, does it mean that person A is sitting at one side of the table, whereas person C is sitting on the other side?

Answer.

It just means person A was the first to sit down.  It would be nice if tables/bars had some sort of locality within them, though.  Like, in the list it would mean that person A is indeed sitting next to person B.  Then people could choose their seats.

>sit at bar 1

You take the first seat at the bar.

>sit at bar next to A

You try and sit next to person A, if either of the neighboring seats are open.

>sit at bar

It just picks the nearest seat or a random seat.

That's exactly what I was wondering Marauder Moe.

Whenever I'm seated with a few people at a table, bar, etc., its always difficult to remember who I'm sitting beside. It always seems to end up that everybody is sitting right beside everyone else at a bar. At a table, it seems like everybody is sitting on the opposite side of everybody else. If there already is a system, or one could be made, I think it would be pretty useful.

Useful but not necessary since simply emoting your position could address your seat to the people currently in the room. If other people arrive in the room, you'd need to emote it again if that person should know. And, the thing about coding it would be that some people would not regard seats all that much, and just sit down at a seat that you had reserved for someone else without even knowing it. It'll make things just a little more complicated.
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

I'd put this issue firmly in the KIVS "Keep it virtual, smartypants" category.  Newbies already have enough things overwhelming them without having to worry about:

l bar

1. chair is empty
Person B is sitting at it, on 2.chair.
Person C is sitting at it, on 3.chair
Person D is sitting at it, on 4.chair.
Byn Trooper is sitting at it, on 5.chair.
Person E is sitting at it, on 6.chair.
7. chair is empty.

>sit bar
What?

>sit chair
What?

>sit at bar
You sit at a long juice bar, in the first chair.

>talk hey, u know where i can find a sergeant?

At your table, Person B says, in rinthi-accented sirihish, scratching his head in confusion:  "You talkin' to me, southie?"

At your table, Byn Trooper (and lead-by-example roleplayer who wants to teach the newbie that it doesn't make sense to talk so far down the bar) says, in sirihish, leaning over to shout along the bar: "Huh?  What'd you say down there?"

At your table, Person D says, in sirihish, looking to Byn Trooper after squinting down toward the end of the bar:  "Hey, did that guy just say something to you?"

Person C slumps drunkenly over the bar, moaning, with a shot-glass clutched in one filthy hand, blinking up as conversation flits back and forth over his head.

Newbie has lost link.

Just seems like a way to hinder interaction and needlessly complicate things while adding very little to the game.

I'm not saying anything should be implemented into the code, I was just wondering if the above questions where true. Also, role-playing your seat correctly at a bar, or table can be difficult at times. Code similar to the present one would just make things a whole of a lot easier to RP your location at any given table/bar.