Keyword: Captain

Started by My 2 sids, June 27, 2005, 12:42:17 AM

Is there anyway to give temporary keywords?  I was thinking how helpful it would be when people are assigned a title (sergeant, corporal, recruit, etc) that the title becomes a keyword for them.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

change objective...

wish up..

Imms are cool about it, but we as players have -no- way of doing that ingame.
Veteran Newbie

It would be nice if the "title" command worked on PCs, as a way to attach your own keyword to them.

-Cindrak
quote="www.baobobcomic.com"]Naturally, the worst happened. Soon we saw not only a PC, but one of those weird PCs who uses words I don't know in their sdesc. The podgy, dappled dickens-whelp.[/quote]

Being able to add an additional keyword is a good but problematic thing.  A twink could change their name to a noble's or a templar's, intercept that silver dildo they were getting, and sneak away.

I am still supportive of this idea, though I think it would be more efficient if characters could only title themselves.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I wouldn't say they could attach any ol' name they wish, Larrath.  I'm talking about something that would accompany Clan_promotions and Clan_ranking.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: "My 2 sids"I wouldn't say they could attach any ol' name they wish, Larrath.  I'm talking about something that would accompany Clan_promotions and Clan_ranking.

There is another problem, then.  First of all, if everyone's rank was added to their namelist, you could simply 'assess informant' to pick out sneaksy Guilders.  Even if they were leaders, this wouldn't solve the problem completely.
Second, there is the tactical thing.  If two armies clashed, one of the armies could take out its bows and 'shoot lieutenant;shoot sergeant' to immediately take out the army's head even without being able to tell which one is the sergeant.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Cindrak"It would be nice if the "title" command worked on PCs, as a way to attach your own keyword to them.

-Cindrak
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "Larrath"Being able to add an additional keyword is a good but problematic thing.  A twink could change their name to a noble's or a templar's, intercept that silver dildo they were getting, and sneak away.
You left out the part where the shade of Nessalin materializes in front of said twink after the incident is reported and player logs are checked.

Someone suggested to me in a previous role that I add the character's title to its keywords.  I really didn't think it was necessary, because positions and titles can change at will by a person's supervisors.  If your PC is promoted or demoted, that keyword becomes useless.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

It is possible to misuse titling yourself as well. For example, you could title yourself as Amos, go around people introducing yourself as Amos, do some horrendous deed by the name of Amos, and then switch your keyword to something else.  :wink:
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

That is why players must have IMM intervention to add or remove keywords.  If you want to go around giving out a fake name, you have to either include that keyword at character creation, or email the IMMs about adding it.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I'm all for adding personal nickname keywords to people. If I see that really really skinny elf and decide I want to call him Bonesy, I should be able to "title elf bonesy" and use that as a keyword for him from now on. As long it was just linked between two people (i.e. only my PC can use the keyword 'bonesy' on him, it won't work for anyone else unless they've done the same) I don't see any problem.

There might still be potential for twinkage somehow even there, but who knows.

It is a little extra work, but I have aliased a nickname to quite a few people using alias.
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

Quote from: "Cindrak"It would be nice if the "title" command worked on PCs, as a way to attach your own keyword to them.

-Cindrak

You have to mount that pc before you title it! (Like with.. mounts?) :twisted:

Just kidding..
I don't think it's a bad idea.. but I think it would have to be something that's monitored.. yes.. I think it could be something used to twink a bit here and there.. :P
You do know that MUDsex is not a coded skill, right? -Nidhogg

Quote from: "ale six"I'm all for adding personal nickname keywords to people. If I see that really really skinny elf and decide I want to call him Bonesy, I should be able to "title elf bonesy" and use that as a keyword for him from now on. As long it was just linked between two people (i.e. only my PC can use the keyword 'bonesy' on him, it won't work for anyone else unless they've done the same) I don't see any problem.

There might still be potential for twinkage somehow even there, but who knows.
Just to clarify, this is what I meant, as ale six stated above. The keywords you apply to others would only work for -you-. You wouldn't be able to title yourself 'templar' and then have people accidentally bowing to you. There's no way to twink using this, that I can see.

-Cindrak
quote="www.baobobcomic.com"]Naturally, the worst happened. Soon we saw not only a PC, but one of those weird PCs who uses words I don't know in their sdesc. The podgy, dappled dickens-whelp.[/quote]

It may just be me.. but... I don't have the slightest problem with "twinks" naming themselves something, masquerading under said name, and then changing it.

Think about it as if you were your Zalanthan character.  If another character (who's REAL name is Bob) walks up and tells you his name is George, and you believe him, well... you wouldn't know any better.  You wouldn't KNOW his name wasn't George, and when George starts going around and becoming a nuisance, and he suddenly changes his name to Tom... you still know who he is.  I mean, you know what he looks like.  And if you don't know who he is, what's so unrealistic about you not knowing that Tom was once George who's real name is Bob?

As for the templar's silver dildo... if a clever commoner wants to find all those templarly clothes, wear them in public, and say his name is Insert-Templar-Name-Here, and the Delivery Man is stupid enough to hand over the Prized Toy, well... Delivery Man has to answer to the real guy, now won't he?  Of course, it would be an interesting thing when Real-Templar bumps shoulders with Fake-Templar on his way out the door, dildo in hand.

Still... I can see how it would be easier to need imm approval with this sort of thing.  I'm not against it since I see the imm staff here has highly responsive anyway.

The problem isn't with people going around changing their names every other day.  That's fine as long as they play with it, and assuming that any keywords one adds to himself can't be removed (and they shouldn't), there's no problem.

However, if someone added a keyword WITHOUT telling anyone, and this keyword was the exact same as the name of another character in the room, the twink will be able to intercept an object given to the other character and then run off.  This is the potential problem.

Titling of other characters as ale six suggested looks good, in contrast, and I also -would- like to be able to instantly add keywords to myself if I needed an impromptu name.  I just can't think of a system that would allow doing that right now.
...Unless we added some sort of introduce system where people will only be able to use your sdesc keywords and will have to manually attach your PC the name you provide them.  Realistic, and I guess one could also get a 'contact list' that would tell them which sdescs they know and by what names, but all in all, it's tedious.

I don't think you should be able to add keywords to yourself that would have any affect on other characters. Titling should merely be a way to add your own personal 'nicknames' to players. If you want to go under an assumed name, you can give others a fake name, and they would then 'title' you that, presumably. In conjunction with this, I think players' names should be removed as automatic keywords. It's kind of stupid that you can look at a room full of unknown characters and think to yourself, "Well, I know the killer's name is Bob..." and then:

emote points an accusing finger at ~bob.

The way it should work is that nobody knows your real name for sure, and that people just title you whatever you tell them your name is, or whatever they want to call you. (This is, by the way, the crux of the 'Naming' idea I submitted several months back, minus the part that met with massive, overwhelming disapproval ;))

-Cindrak

I agree entirely with the last post.

There's just one problem with it. Title does not save. Because of that, it would quickly become extremely irritating to title someone everytime you logged in. If you could save the title, I would completely agree.

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"I agree entirely with the last post.

There's just one problem with it. Title does not save. Because of that, it would quickly become extremely irritating to title someone everytime you logged in. If you could save the title, I would completely agree.
Yep, it would have to save a list of 'titles' for each character. This would take up some additional space, but not too much, I think (assuming it's stored as a list, and not a static array). There would also have to be a cap on the number of characters you could have titles for, but 100 or so ought to be plenty for any character. The only tricky part is that if the pfile is stored like the DIKU pfiles of yore, adding additional fields to a character record requires converting the pfile. But it's doable.

Sorry for the technobabble :)

-Cindrak

Assuming that when a character dies and his body decomposes, that his name is wiped from the lists he is currently on, 75 is an excellent target number. It is highly unlikely that you'll know 75 different PCs who are alive at the same time. And, assuming that you can not look at this list of titles as a player, you'll never know that they died.

I put my vote in on the 'naming' proposal. ^.-

I can imagine that it would be an insane thing implement, but just one of those things that makes life all warm and fuzzy... for the player anyway.

As for the chance that a thief would abuse the keyword-adding just to steal stuff in the middle of roleplay... you are really paranoid.  That, or I havn't seen the full extent of TWINKDOM here yet, and my innocent mind still sees you people as more experienced, creative folk.  

If someone were to do that anyway, I would really hate to be standing around with the imm pops in and goes, "Hello."

Quote from: "Underdark Song"I put my vote in on the 'naming' proposal. ^.-

I concur.

These suggestions, although I realize they aren't, ring quite like the 'introduction' command on several muds, where you start to see names rather than sdescs. Of course...we'll keep the sdesc.

This will be good exactly for giving fake names and eliminating (his names bob so...) emote points at ~Bob accusingly.

As it is, someone shouldn't nessecarily be able to use your name as a keyword unless they -know- its your name. (now...the WAY...that may be different...perhaps names should be used as much as sdesc over the mysterious way...*Shrug*) but names...as keywords are already an ooc thing...if someone gives you a name and it's not a keyword, you oocly suspect its a fake name, but ICly you wouldnt be able to tell.
Veteran Newbie

I don't know, I think we should just keep it the way it is.  If we started doing that, things would get too complicated.  I think they should maybe do something about that whole "I know his name is Bob." thing.
Given the choice between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I would have the courage to betray my country." - E. M. Forster

Well if someone did to emo points at ~bob and abused it in such a twinkish way. Well thatd be twinkery handled by the imms.
Veteran Newbie