Renewal vs. ressurection

Started by The prodigal son, June 24, 2005, 03:56:14 PM

When I left the game back in november without storing the PC I had at that time, I expected I'd return a few weeks later, fresh and ready for another round of carnage. Well, it's been roughly six months now, and the PC I used to run has probably grown out of his character concept... Though he'd still be a blast to play, with or without his old companions. Nothing would really make me want to part with him, other than my long absence - which would certainly get a few people curious, and might become completely inexplicable. Right now, I'm not sure whether I should drag him back into the mayhem or start over, safe in knowing that no one will be surprised by my new character's appearance.

I've been thinking about how I ought to play him, now that four years or so have gone by; then again, I've also thought about a number of character concepts that I'd love to try out. I'm not exactly sure whether it would be a prudent move for me to carry on with him, or if I'm better off just making a new character - his mannerisms would be hard to go back to, at least, and it might take me a few days to set them straight.

When you've been gone for six months, how do you rectify the IC issues that emerge? Do you just make up a half-assed story on the spot and hope everyone goes with it, or delve into elaborate excuses? I'm looking for any stories, good or bad, regarding this, and whether anyone successfully returned to an old character, hopefully without having to address IC or OOC reactions.

This is a tough one.  I've grappled with it personally on a couple of PCs of my own, simply because I spend so much more of my time doing staff-stuff than I do actually playing the game, lately.

I've gone both ways, and usually I am more inclined toward having the character stored than trying to return to my old life.  However, if you do choose to return to your old life, you probably ARE going to encounter people who knew you before.  For your sake and theirs, before you login for the first time, do try to come up with a good cover story for why you have been gone (it's nice if you are a hermity type to start with, or if you layed the groundwork for your absence before you took your break).  Having a good story will help you AND your old friends/enemies transition into the new state of things with your character.  Usually anything you come up with on the spur of the moment will have a ring of untruth that can lead to IC distrust or confusion that you might not really intend (though, if you want to lie boldly, lying can be great fun, too)

-- X

From your post, it sounds to me like you've already decided to ask to store the character, but if you decide to continue, maybe:

(1) If your character was in a staff-run clan, e-mail that clan's imms to sort out a suitable IC cover story for your OOC absence.

(2) If your character was in a player-run clan, then you'd hopefully have a leader's OOC contact details and be able to e-mail him/her to sort out a suitable cover story. If you don't have a leader's OOC contact details, you could e-mail the MUD account to describe your situation and ask for your message to be passed on.

(3) If your character wasn't in a clan, think up a cover story and e-mail it to the MUD account for the imms' reference, and if they don't write back within a few days, assume that it's OK. (Obviously, the more believable the cover story, the less problems for everyone ... maybe something like your character's family being hit by disease and your character having to care for them.)

Just a few suggestions. Good luck. :)

Swordsman

Wow, this post hits the nail on the head for me. I'm in the same silt-skimmer, except that I don't know when I'll be back, and that it will be at least two more months.

I really don't have much to offer, I just wanted to pop in and say "Hello!" and that this thread was good for me. Was it good for you too...

where's the freaking question mark on this euro keyboard....

bah!

ciao ragazzi.